What happened to the Saints defense?

Elky

On 9/27/2018 at 10:18 PM, tyler735 said:

1 more than the Falcons have?

Uh, definitely not.  Deion Jones is one of the best MLB's in the game and Keanu Neal is a Kam Chancellor facsimile.  Trufant and Alford are also on par with either of the Saints CB's and Grady Jarrett is one of the better interior DL in the league.  The Falcons defense is simply decimated by injury right now.  Neither of the ATL/NO games last year looked anything like what we saw last weekend for example.

4 minutes ago, megatechpc said:

Uh, definitely not.  Deion Jones is one of the best MLB's in the game and Keanu Neal is a Kam Chancellor facsimile.  Trufant and Alford are also on par with either of the Saints CB's and Grady Jarrett is one of the better interior DL in the league.  The Falcons defense is simply decimated by injury right now.  Neither of the ATL/NO games last year looked anything like what we saw last weekend for example.

What happened to the Falcons Defense?

28 minutes ago, megatechpc said:

I was saying that in jest, both teams have plenty of young defensive talent, but unfortunately both teams have struggled for various reasons to start the year defensively.

Just now, tyler735 said:

I was saying that in jest, both teams have plenty of young defensive talent, but unfortunately both teams have struggled for various reasons to start the year defensively.

Both teams do have some really great looking young defenders for sure.  But Atlanta's defense has been decimated by injuries so far so I can understand why they are struggling so much.  The Saints defense doesn't look anything like it did last year but they aren't really that banged up I didn't think.

23 minutes ago, megatechpc said:

Both teams do have some really great looking young defenders for sure.  But Atlanta's defense has been decimated by injuries so far so I can understand why they are struggling so much.  The Saints defense doesn't look anything like it did last year but they aren't really that banged up I didn't think.

No doubt Atlanta had a rough start with injuries, but the Saints are also really young and I do think they start to bounce back as the season goes on.

4 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

No doubt Atlanta had a rough start with injuries, but the Saints are also really young and I do think they start to bounce back as the season goes on.

Agreed, they have too much talent to be this bad all year.  I would bet the next ATL/NO game will not be the shootout this one was.

13 hours ago, megatechpc said:

Eh. Jarrett has been a mediocre pass rusher outside of the Super Bowl game.

On 9/28/2018 at 8:43 AM, GSUeagles14 said:

not true even if you want to ignore all their injured guys. Grady Jarrett is excellent. But look at the saints... whose their next bext player. Lattimore? Guy looks like a fluke, has been awful so far this year. Deion Jones, Neal, Takk McKinley looks extremely promising. Please, name some actual good saints defensive players.

Awful...But just locked up Julio? Interesting.

2 hours ago, MookieMonstah said:

Awful...But just locked up Julio? Interesting.

julio had 96 yards, if every team could lock him up like that he would only end up with 1500 at the end of the year. they also let some other scrub go for 150 and 3. i guess when you have to watch the pats play you think awful defense is good comapred to the embarassingly bad youre used to.

2 hours ago, GSUeagles14 said:

julio had 96 yards, if every team could lock him up like that he would only end up with 1500 at the end of the year. they also let some other scrub go for 150 and 3. i guess when you have to watch the pats play you think awful defense is good comapred to the embarassingly bad youre used to.

He only had like 20 yards on Lattimore lol

I always feel like comments such as above are silly with the way defenders play in these games.  Its not like Lattimore was locked up on Julio the whole game and held him to only 20 yards.  I ain't even bashing on Lattimore as I do feel he is a young up and coming CB with a ton of talent and potential, but you Saints fans gotta stop acting like he's this established all time great just because he had a great rookie season.  We don't know how good this kid is going to be yet and just have to take it one game at a time.  

The overall point is that the Falcons absolutely torched that entire Saints defense all game last week and the exciting thing for me was the play of out own rookie (potential) phenom, Calvin Ridley.  He was basically unstoppable for a majority of the game and I really hope his breakout game play clues Sark in to really featuring him more in the offense going forward.  If teams begin to have to split their attention between Ridley and Julio I imagine the scoring opportunities will open up for #11 in a way that we haven't seen since Roddy White was around (not to take anything away from Sanu who is a fantastic receiver in his own right, but he is more in the role of Tony Gonzalez as the emergency receiver for Matt Ryan rather than the big play threat of the other two).

Getting back to the Saints defense for a minute, don't forget that Atlanta absolutely torched them all game long with Matt Ryan having a fairly similar game as Goff did against the Vikings on Thurs (375 yards, 5 TD's, no picks) and he had a fairly clean pocket for the most part.  I know that Brees also had his way with the Atlanta defense and that he was able to put the nail in the coffin against them with the final two drives at the end of reg and in the OT (though as usual the Falcons predictably lost the toss like always and never even had an opportunity in the OT).  But the key difference between those two defensive performances by both teams is that Atlanta's has been totally decimated by injuries and they were playing a couple of guys they signed off the street just a few days before the game.  Meanwhile the Saints defense was largely healthy and had no excuses considering how that same exact unit played last season.

Archived