What happened to the Saints defense?

Elky

12 minutes ago, GSUeagles14 said:

what do you mean what I believe to be inaccurate? Are you saying that its up to debate if Bennett was correct. And how much extra work was it really to ready those 7-8 words past apparently where you stopped. Did you just say "screw it, enough reading for the day, my head hurts"?

38 for 40 is pretty good, might even say he could break into the top 6-7 for wr play if he can keep it up. 

I'm saying explain why it is inaccurate. As for the 38 for 40 part, it is the best in the NFL for anyone with over 10 targets this season.

https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/stats/receiving#catch-percentage

Sounds like you're going to be in for a rude awakening when Thomas gets an All-Pro at the end of the year..

1 minute ago, tyler735 said:

I'm saying explain why it is inaccurate. As for the 38 for 40 part, it is the best in the NFL for anyone with over 10 targets this season.

https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/stats/receiving#catch-percentage

Sounds like you're going to be in for a rude awakening when Thomas gets an All-Pro at the end of the year..

im saying stop being lazy, read 8 extra words and figure it out. it wasnt hard, and i dont even mean to be a jerk about it. But thats just silly.

Also, please tell me you recognize that part of Thomas' insane, yes insane, catch rate is ties to his air yards? Which is whopping 7.2

13 minutes ago, GSUeagles14 said:

sad indictment when we simply aim on trying to get 50% of our statements correct. im not on twitter but id treat that just like i do with my everyday life, i dont get emails from my boss that say "good job buddy! you really nailed part of that email, way to go!". Wrong is wrong, as was bennetts tweet. You were right, pretty simple. This isnt kindegarten theres no half credit, im not sure if youre post college yet or not but if you dont realize that its gonna be a really rude awakening.

Don’t give him any credit for the tweet man, I don’t care dude lol.

It literally means nothing to the discussion we’re having about Thomas lmao 

3 minutes ago, GSUeagles14 said:

im saying stop being lazy, read 8 extra words and figure it out. it wasnt hard, and i dont even mean to be a jerk about it. But thats just silly.

Also, please tell me you recognize that part of Thomas' insane, yes insane, catch rate is ties to his air yards? Which is whopping 7.2

And yet defenders can't stop him

3 hours ago, GamedayGuru said:

no, the game play, i dont care about stats, what im watching thomas do is amazing, he is playing like the best WR in the NFL right now, not saying he is the best, but he is playing like it, getting doubled basically every play and getting schemed against and still just dominating anyone and anything they throw at him. 

I'm one of the biggest Thomas Homer's on this Website. Friggin' love him as a player and this is just false. He's had a good 7/8 catches or so feasting on whatever sorry linebacker the Browns/Bucs or Falcons for some silly reason have had on him in coverage due to the Saints looks. It's not a knock on him just reality. He's a fantastic reciever and Top 6/7 in the league.

With regards to the topic. The Saints from my observation still have plenty sizeable holes on defence and have rarely been playing with a comfortable lead this season which probably skews things.

They seem like those old Peyton Manning Defences on the Colts which are great protecting  2 score leads but in a tight game lack just enough pass rush, just enough coverage, and don't have good coverage linebackers. Their corner situation opposite Lattimore is laughable. Crawley was a flash in a pan and Williams got schooled by Ridley yesterday

Unless Daveport becomes Von Miller/Khalil Mack/Joey Bosa good, I still don't get the logic in trading 2 firsts for him.

10 minutes ago, Magnifico said:

Williams got schooled by Ridley yesterday

Well to be fair to Williams he’s a terrible defensive back and is just doing what we all expected lol

but yeah I agree with everything in your post.

34 minutes ago, Magnifico said:

Unless Daveport becomes Von Miller/Khalil Mack/Joey Bosa good, I still don't get the logic in trading 2 firsts for him.

Saints didn't trade 2 firsts. They exchanged 2018 firsts, and traded away 2019's.

That's a big difference between Davenport and the others you mentioned.

Mack took 2 future picks and huge money. Davenport took 1 future pick and small money in comparison.

5 hours ago, MookieMonstah said:

Whats with the lack of time for Davenport? I watched the Falcons game and it seemed like he got pressure every down he was in but they keep playing Okafor over him...Makes no sense

I think they just like Okafor more. That's the only explanation I can think of.

5 hours ago, GamedayGuru said:

LOL ok, I wish there was a way to poll NFL GM's to get their opinion, because I'd be willing to bet cash that wouldn't be the case. Thomas might be THE BEST reciever in the NFL right now. Dude has caught 38 or 40 targets and is a YAC machine and just plucks balls out of the air over double teams. 

Sorry, Thomas is better than Evans, it isn't really a debate. 

Bahahahahahaha.

5 hours ago, MookieMonstah said:

This is a hot take. Evans disappears pretty frequently I feel like.Thomas has been unstoppable this season, teams know the balls going to Kamara/Thomas and they still make plays.

It's really not. Imagine if Evans got to play in that offense with Brees. Who cares if teams know balls are going to those two? The Saints have no shortage of weapons.

2 hours ago, jrry32 said:

Bahahahahahaha.

It's really not. Imagine if Evans got to play in that offense with Brees. Who cares if teams know balls are going to those two? The Saints have no shortage of weapons.

What “weapons” do they have? A 40 year old Ben Watson? Cam Meredith coming off a torn ACL? Career drops artist Ted Ginn?

Of course it freaking matters. Thomas is a better route runner, has better hands, better in the open field. Evans is a better athlete, high points the ball better but also has disappeared for stretches pretty consistently. 

18 minutes ago, MookieMonstah said:

What “weapons” do they have? A 40 year old Ben Watson? Cam Meredith coming off a torn ACL? Career drops artist Ted Ginn?

Of course it freaking matters. Thomas is a better route runner, has better hands, better in the open field. Evans is a better athlete, high points the ball better but also has disappeared for stretches pretty consistently. 

brees is a pretty big weapon id say. and does evans disapper just beacuse he doesnt get targeted 15 times a game? as i already said, thomas' air yards/target is a notch over 7. thats not good. hes running short, easy routes to complete. hes doing a great job of it but thats the reality of how hes being used. 

i dibt think id differentiate between the two. theyre both really good and fall in that 5-10 range.

1 hour ago, MookieMonstah said:

I don't disagree, but to be fair, Ben Watson was a monster yesterday.  He definitely called back ten for that game.

2 hours ago, MookieMonstah said:

Alvin Kamara + Michael Thomas are the top two weapons with Watson, Meredith, Ginn, and Smith as secondary weapons. Are you honestly trying to pretend the Saints lack passing game talent? The guy has had three great games to start the year as Brees' top target while catching a high volume of short routes, and somebody is honestly trying to claim him as the best WR in the NFL. C'mon. Give me Evans. Big dude who is dangerous to all levels of the field, can be a dominant red-zone WR, and is very underrated due to the situation he's been in.

9 hours ago, jrry32 said:

Alvin Kamara + Michael Thomas are the top two weapons with Watson, Meredith, Ginn, and Smith as secondary weapons. Are you honestly trying to pretend the Saints lack passing game talent? The guy has had three great games to start the year as Brees' top target while catching a high volume of short routes, and somebody is honestly trying to claim him as the best WR in the NFL. C'mon. Give me Evans. Big dude who is dangerous to all levels of the field, can be a dominant red-zone WR, and is very underrated due to the situation he's been in.

The situation he’s been in? Dude got blanketed at times last year and has had suspect hands before. You’re going to give Evans a pass but ignore that Thomas catches a lot of short-intermediate routes because Brees has about zero deep ball ability now? Their isn’t a huge discrepancy but Michael Thomas is playing like the best WR in the league right now. Do we not remember him roasting Xavier Rhodes multiple times in that playoff game? People should’ve seen this coming.

11 hours ago, jrry32 said:

This is just funny to me that you want Evans over Thomas.

Brees has spread the ball around to 7-9 DIFFERENT receivers in each game this year. So if that many players are getting targets, why do you suppose Thomas is getting so many?

How about this... because Brees knows he'll get open! That can't be said for Evans. Everyone is talking Fitzmagic and all his crazy stats, Brees has had 18 more pass attempts, yet Thomas has 15 more snaggs (10 more targets (3.3 per game)). This tells me Evans isn't trusted by the crazy gunslinger, and he can't get open like Thomas can.

Dominant in the red zone??? He's had 1 redzone TD this season, and only 3 all of last season. I'll give you 2016, but don't come at it like he's some super freak redzone threat.
All but 2 of Michael Thomas' career TD's have been in the redzone, so who's the threat?

So pray tell, what situation has Mike Evans been in that he's so "dominant" yet "underrated" all at the same time?

Archived