Movies & TV News/Buzz Thread

Acgott

Just now, seminoles1 said:

Achievement in Popular Film?  Seems like a cop out for popular movies not being nominated for Best Picture so they can continue to nominate movies no one has heard of before.

It's because The Shape of Water won. 

The Academy has long had a pure, unadulterated hatred for horror, science fiction and fantasy.  This is their way of trying to get an audience while not giving a **** about the audience. 

instead of saying popular they should of said "genre".. I think that's what they are going for

so if it was this yr(going with films already released with critical acclaim)..  Mission impossible, Black Panther, infinity war and a Quiet Place would be the noms..

saw a tweet that said the 1st Oscars was somewhat like this.. had one major award for artsy stuff and another for "epic" films.. they scratched that after one year

I just hate how every Academy Award winner for best picture takes two years before nobody even remembers it.  They have got to be the WORST bunch of voters in any voting situation ever. 

Slumdog Millionaire, The Hurt Locker, The King's Speech, The Artist, Argo, 12 Years a Slave, Birdman, Spotlight, Moonlight, The Shape of Water.

Every single one of those movies was simply a tearjerker type movie that invoked a strong emotional response and was overrated because of that emotional response, or they were about filmmaking.  Not one of them is going to be remembered as a classic, iconic or probably even great movie ten years from now.  Some of them were good movies I won't deny that, but none of them were great movies. 

28 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

I just hate how every Academy Award winner for best picture takes two years before nobody even remembers it.  They have got to be the WORST bunch of voters in any voting situation ever. 

Slumdog Millionaire, The Hurt Locker, The King's Speech, The Artist, Argo, 12 Years a Slave, Birdman, Spotlight, Moonlight, The Shape of Water.

Every single one of those movies was simply a tearjerker type movie that invoked a strong emotional response and was overrated because of that emotional response, or they were about filmmaking.  Not one of them is going to be remembered as a classic, iconic or probably even great movie ten years from now.  Some of them were good movies I won't deny that, but none of them were great movies. 

Sidebar: I love Slumdog Millionaire

Okay, now to my sarcastic post: It's a good thing those movies won instead of movies that people actually remember.  The Academy Awards aren't supposed to recognize movies that will have a lasting legacy beyond 6 months.

Just now, seminoles1 said:

Academy Awards aren't supposed to recognize movies that will have a lasting legacy beyond 6 months.

Wut?  I'm not saying the most memorable movie should win.  I'm saying that greatness stands the test of time, and none of those movies will stand the test of time.  They were all a flash in the pan.  Just like Crash. 

4 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

Wut?  I'm not saying the most memorable movie should win.  I'm saying that greatness stands the test of time, and none of those movies will stand the test of time.  They were all a flash in the pan.  Just like Crash. 

Agreed. Like Shakespeare in Love over Saving Private Ryan with the latter being a movie I would stay is still remembered. King's Speech over Inception. I'd argue the last "test of time" movie to win is No Country for Old Men (or the Departed year before that). 

4 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

I was being sarcastic.  I literally stated it was a sarcastic post.

Edited by seminoles1

17 hours ago, August4th said:

how did crash win best picture? couldn't finish it on re-watch ..its the kind of film that should get a 40% rating on RT lol

I think Moonlight will have a lasting legacy...

Nobody even remembers Moonlight a year after it won.  All of these movies follow the same path.  Emotional/melodramatic stories that tug at heartstrings and pretend to be more important or poignant than they are.  They catch audiences by surprise, and then they fade into anonymity or a joke once people realize what happened to them. 

Spotlight is hardly even a good movie.  What in the hell did it do special?  Nothing.  Nothing whatsoever. 

And Moonlight.  What did it do?  What was special about it?  It was its subject matter that won the award.  That's literally it.  Same as half the movies that have won the award.  The Academy tries to pick the most socially conscious movie and all that crap.  Even The Shape of Water.  Won IMMEDIATELY following the whole Me Too movement thing.  It's a man-hating movie in disguise as a monster movie. 

Both The Shape of Water and Moonlight are at a 7.4 on IMDB.  Those scores are going to continue to fall once people realize they got caught up in the moment and let tearjerkers get to them. 

The Acadmey doesn't give a **** about actual achievement in filmmaking.