How did our defense become so offensive??

RpMc

10 minutes ago, RpMc said:

Followed up on two pretty stellar games with an absolute dud.

With the season on the line too. I think Barr deserves a new contract, I'm just very concerned what the dollars may look like for what he brings to the table. I think anything above $12 million is an overpay.

5 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

With the season on the line too. I think Barr deserves a new contract, I'm just very concerned what the dollars may look like for what he brings to the table. I think anything above $12 million is an overpay.

Looking at a similar type player, Jamie Collins who plays a rushing/off the ball linebacker, got paid $12.5M back in 2017. 

He will be getting paid upwards of $15M without a doubt in my mind after inflation, big name, and will try and get closer to the pass rusher number.

being honest I would guess in an open market he will be bringing in closer to $16M

16 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

I just don't think Barr is an impact player. Good? Yes. But not good enough for big bucks for me. 

Agreed completely. I wouldn't give him close $12M per year. If it gets to $10M per year I would start listening but I would be trying to get him for closer to $9M.  I understand that likely means losing him to some other team willing to pay more than that. That would be okay with me.

The cutoff for a third round compensatory pick last year was between $9.6M and $10.5M per year. If another team wants to give him that kind of contract I take the cap space, third round compensatory consideration, and accept the need to find a replacement. Wilson is adequate enough that I would consider going into the draft with he and Kendricks set to start in the nickel with Gadeon in the base. If the draft went well it may get better from there. Mike Zimmer has shown an ability to get quality play out of LBers in their rookie year. 

9 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

Agreed completely. I wouldn't give him close $12M per year. If it gets to $10M per year I would start listening but I would be trying to get him for closer to $9M.  I understand that likely means losing him to some other team willing to pay more than that. That would be okay with me.

The cutoff for a third round compensatory pick last year was between $9.6M and $10.5M per year. If another team wants to give him that kind of contract I take the cap space, third round compensatory consideration, and accept the need to find a replacement. Wilson is adequate enough that I would consider going into the draft with he and Kendricks set to start in the nickel with Gadeon in the base. If the draft went well it may get better from there. Mike Zimmer has shown an ability to get quality play out of LBers in their rookie year. 

So do you think Kendrick’s is better and more valuable at MLB and makes more of an impact than Barr?

I just don’t understand, Barr is better than Kendrick’s in the pass rush, and is about the same in coverage as Barr. In the run game Barr doesn’t make as many tackles on a year end bases because he’s not dedicated to the running back like a MLB in a 4-3 defense, but still, outside of his last game he has been always regarded as a good run stopper.

We all said Kendrick’s getting an average of $10M/yr was a good deal. 

1 minute ago, gopherwrestler said:

I just don’t understand, Barr is better than Kendrick’s in the pass rush, and is about the same in coverage as Barr. In the run game Barr doesn’t make as many tackles on a year end bases because he’s not dedicated to the running back like a MLB in a 4-3 defense, but still, outside of his last game he has been always regarded as a good run stopper.

We all said Kendrick’s getting an average of $10M/yr was a good deal. 

But does a 4-3 team in today's NFL really need two off ball LBs making that much money? That is ultimately my biggest concern. I don't think it's a terribly difficult position to find. 

20 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

But does a 4-3 team in today's NFL really need two off ball LBs making that much money? That is ultimately my biggest concern. I don't think it's a terribly difficult position to find. 

Idk, we saw how much better our defense actually is when both of them are playing together 

we say not terribly difficult but we circle thru trying to find them constantly to find another one and we still haven’t. 

Mauti, Cole, Hodges, Watts, Robinson, Brothers, Gedeon, Wilson

Just some I can think off the top of my head and then there is free agents that started for us, Brinkley, Lamur..

Fact is we say 4-3 linebackers are “easy” to find, it’s true, but none of them typically play that well. 

We also play 4-3 way different then most teams, are linebackers are hidden in disguises constantly, a lot of times we are running a 4-2, then the linebackers become extremely important because they will be either asked to blitz, cover a RB or a TE. 

With the league changing, you better have a LB that can cover, but you just found a bonus when they can also get after a QB and stop the run. 

I personally believe Barr is worth more than Kendricks, I just am not sure I know what that price tag is worth. I wouldn’t pay him Mack/Miller money but I can understand paying $14-16 for him. 

Do we do it? I don’t know, but from previous comments it sure seems like Zimmer really doesn’t want to see him go. 

I’m perfectly content with letting Barr leave. Quite honestly, I think we could find a better linebacker. 

Barr has incredible size for his position, unfortunately he rarely uses it to his advantage, getting washed out and pushed around too often. He’s a fantastic athlete, unfortunately it doesn’t show up on a weekly basis. And he’s soft. Barr isn’t an instinctive linebacker, and he’s not exactly a high motor guy. 

You might not find another 6’5” 255 pound guy who runs a 4.5. But you can find a better linebacker. A tone setter. 

1 hour ago, gopherwrestler said:

So do you think Kendrick’s is better and more valuable at MLB and makes more of an impact than Barr?

I wouldn't say that, no. He is, however, under contract and cutting him would be a net cap loss along with losing a player. That is really a non-starter of a conversation for me.

17 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

But you can find a better linebacker. A tone setter. 

With trying to rebuild this offense, where are you finding this currently outside the first two rounds?

Its just a hard debate for me, I’m fine with downgrading one position on the defense to improve the offensive line, but it’s more of a fact I feel more comfortable going forward with Jaleel & (Draft/Tom Johnson) than heading towards Kendricks, Wilson, Geodeon, another mid-round rookie. 

I realize we could lose both of them, and find somewhere else to spend the money, I’m just not sure where to use it to make a vast improvement. Rodger Saffold (while playing good) is the only area where I would think you could spend it. 

Archived