Other coaching news

Lil' Shorty

7 hours ago, REDandPEWTER said:

There’s always an exception. McKenzie to me did a great job in Oakland. Just a poor move by ownership to give Gruden this much power 

I dont know how you say McKenzie did a great job in Oakland but Licht is terrible....    Not sure if your just trolling again or what

11 hours ago, ravishingone said:

That s a good catch on the retread coach not winning a SB after winning one previously.  I do think we are entering a new era in the NFL. So many HCs especially offensive minded ones are the play callers on Sunday.  With so much emphasis on offense, OCs on game day are doing less then 10 yrs ago.  Defensive minded candidates have a double whammy.  First, wrong side of the ball making their OC hire pretty much as important as them.  Even if they hit with the OC, good chance the OC will be gone within 2 yrs anyway.  Jay Gruden is offensive minded, but the best thing he did was elevate Sean McVay to OC.  2 yrs and gone.   I think the offensive minded retread is definitely going to get a 2nd chance.  McCarthy will be a HC again next season, very confident in that prediction.

Not that a defensive minded coach can't get hired or succeed, I just think during the interview process they have to really kill the presentation.  I have no doubt Kris Richard will get a HC very soon.  He now has been successful as pretty much the DC with 2 organizations.  

This is really well thought out and probably pretty accurate. With that said it’s gonna be a tough year to find that offensive guy if you are in need of a HC. DeFilippo? No. LaFleur? Probably not. Bieniemy? Maybe. (3rd Reid coordinator at some point these guys aren’t gonna be good HCs right?) McCarthy? Yuck. McDaniels? Lol. Who else?

So at this point the Glazers need to get a GM in place that can find the right football mind to captain the ship and there is a good chance I don’t see it being on the offensive side of the ball for a 2019 hire. Hopefully Richard or Campbell can find a coordinator or Tomlin or Harbaugh can become the first to win a Super Bowl with two franchises.

the Fact that the media puts out there Tomlin might be fired is laughable. The Steelers don’t operate like that. And there’s are reason why they’ve sustain success even during coaching transitions. 

Yeah they’ve dropped two straight but their starting RB is down and the other game they lost well the refs didn’t help them at all on some scoring plays that well weren’t. 

It would have to be a complete meltdown in that organization for them to replace Mike Tomlin. 

6 hours ago, Lil' Shorty said:

This is really well thought out and probably pretty accurate. With that said it’s gonna be a tough year to find that offensive guy if you are in need of a HC. DeFilippo? No. LaFleur? Probably not. Bieniemy? Maybe. (3rd Reid coordinator at some point these guys aren’t gonna be good HCs right?) McCarthy? Yuck. McDaniels? Lol. Who else?

So at this point the Glazers need to get a GM in place that can find the right football mind to captain the ship and there is a good chance I don’t see it being on the offensive side of the ball for a 2019 hire. Hopefully Richard or Campbell can find a coordinator or Tomlin or Harbaugh can become the first to win a Super Bowl with two franchises.

Yeah through out the year the college coaches get attention. But why would a Lincoln Reilly leave Oklahoma? Doug marrone was applauded last year for an afc title appearance. Now he might be fired this offseason. College coaches will be hesitant and I think Lincoln Reilly is the hottest candidate available and won’t make the move. 

What assistants and retreads are out there ? When looking at retreads you have to really see how if how they failed is due to old habits and if they’re willing to adjust to today’s game. that’s what normally makes them two time failures. 

Im shocked how no one mentions Fichtner from Pittsburgh. He’s probably the best one available  

What type of staff can Richard put together ? Specially offensively ? 

Dan Campbell seems to be a hot name but at the same time, you hear reports of how divisional contacts make fun of the bucs operations. How true is that? Not sure. But Campbell comes from an organization that does things right and wins. What are the glazers philosophy? 

Bienemy i don’t think even calls plays as a first year OC. Almost positive Reid Took back play calling when Nagy left. 

So that leaves us where? Possibly a couple retreads? 

Maybe Brian Kelley is the only college coach or Chris Peterson that will leave. Peterson has job security. Kelly is at Notre Dame. Much success there but the job security isn’t the greatest with those expectations and stipulations on recruiting. I could see Kelly being the only possible college coach to go after. 

Retreads? Well if Baltimore makes the dance, it would be stupid to get rid of Harbaugh. Jim ain’t leaving Michigan and I don’t want him either. Anyone see that offense? 

Maybe Ron Rivera gets fired? You know he’s going to bring a strong defensive approach and a run game philosophy. I don’t think he’d be a Winston guy though which is a good thing. He might be one I’d consider but chances are low Carolina fires him. 

Like I said above Tomlin isn’t going anywhere unless something drastic has occurred in Pittsburgh. 

11 minutes ago, REDandPEWTER said:

He’s never been a successful coordinator so idk how he’s going to be a head coach. 

I believe the contrary! I would almost rather have an unsuccessful coordinator than a great one, because when he becomes head coach he won't be doing the same thing. 

But, I know that goes against conventional wisdom. 

1 minute ago, Caaddy24 said:

I believe the contrary! I would almost rather have an unsuccessful coordinator than a great one, because when he becomes head coach he won't be doing the same thing. 

But, I know that goes against conventional wisdom. 

But how do we know he’d be a great HC ! Or even good when he’s had no success in the nfl ? 

And you can nit-pick the eagles two year stint. 

15 minutes ago, bucsfan333 said:

Tenure within the organization

Jason Licht - 5 yrs

George Warhop- 5 yrs

Tim Spencer- 5 yrs

Mike Bajakian - 4 yrs

Dirk Koetter- 4 yrs

That s a long time for any coach to stay within an organization without a playoff appearance.  Unprecedented not sure, outside of the norm, yup.  The argument well who can they get that is better, I have no interest in giving as a reason. 

Archived