Week 5 Dolphins @ Bengals

MrCincinnati

1 hour ago, TheVillain112 said:
2 hours ago, HangOnSloopy said:

Mixon isn't cleared as of Wednesday.  Any word on how Gio is doing after getting banged up last week?

Thought Mixon was practicing today?

not cleared, but practicing.

Just now, SmittyBacall said:

Lol

The top replied tweet also used "svelte". It's not exactly in everyone's vocab so I made the connection.

Haha funny coincidence.  I didn't read any of the comments in the tweet either.

3 hours ago, SmittyBacall said:

Meh. Walton is an adequate replacement for Mixon's sub, and I trust Malone to contribute as much as Ross at this point. 

Not about "production" per se.  My concerns are:

1. Without Gio instead of just plugging in Walton in those plays, they'll lean on Mixon more.  I like Mixon a lot but if you guys are into the football analytics crowd on essentially not running the ball as much as more using RBs in the passing game as I am, I'm just not a fan of some Gio pass attempts turning into Mixon rushing attempts.
  2. John Ross while he hasn't put up great numbers yet, has been gaining a good amount of attention from DBs.  When he goes deep, he's occupying 2 DBs.  That's opening up the underneath routes.  Without that, I still trust Boyd to win his one on one match but we don't have Eifert anymore.  So we're going to be highly highly dependent on Boyd.  Kroft, Uzomah, Malone, Tate, etc... are nice and all, but there's a difference between that talent level and Eifert/Boyd right now...

3 minutes ago, TheVillain112 said:
  • Without Gio instead of just plugging in Walton in those plays, they'll lean on Mixon more.  I like Mixon a lot but if you guys are into the football analytics crowd on essentially not running the ball as much as more using RBs in the passing game as I am, I'm just not a fan of some Gio pass attempts turning into Mixon rushing attempts.
  •  

I actually think Mixon is a better pass catcher than Gio (and Gio might be a better runner).  

I think they'll turn some of Gio's catches into Walton's catches, and also give Mixon more of that work.  I don't think they'll change the offensive balance because Gio isn't there.

However...what could really change without Gio is the pass protection.  Gio is great at it, and Mixon isn't as great.  So that could change the way they gameplan around that.

4 minutes ago, TheVillain112 said:
  1. John Ross while he hasn't put up great numbers yet, has been gaining a good amount of attention from DBs.  When he goes deep, he's occupying 2 DBs.  That's opening up the underneath routes.  Without that, I still trust Boyd to win his one on one match but we don't have Eifert anymore.  So we're going to be highly highly dependent on Boyd.  Kroft, Uzomah, Malone, Tate, etc... are nice and all, but there's a different between that talent level and Eifert/Boyd right now...

That's a really important part.  He's opening up this offense just by being out there.  With Eifert down, they need Ross out there to stay dynamic.

All that said, i still think they can score on the Dolphins.  AJ should be good enough alone to take over this game.

29 minutes ago, theJ said:

I actually think Mixon is a better pass catcher than Gio (and Gio might be a better runner).  

I think they'll turn some of Gio's catches into Walton's catches, and also give Mixon more of that work.  I don't think they'll change the offensive balance because Gio isn't there.

However...what could really change without Gio is the pass protection.  Gio is great at it, and Mixon isn't as great.  So that could change the way they gameplan around that.

The comment has nothing to do with talent and everything to do with adjustment in game plan.  If they go in knowing Gio won't play, my thinking is they will run more (but with Mixon) and have less pass plays.  RB in pass blocking and running routes both have to do with that.  We'll see though.  If they have the same run/pass mix then it should be fine, I don't see any issues...

Archived