5th Down Depreciation Thread

MacReady

2 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

I believe it's easier to win a Super Bowl with cheap QB, loaded defense.  NFL history is literally full of exactly that gameplan working at a rate incredibly higher than the latter. 

You refuse to accept that. 

History is on my side with this argument, so you acting like I'm the illogical one and using the fact that we went with one option is proof you're right is just ridiculous. 

My option, trading Rodgers, was a risk that NFL history suggests is the one worth taking.
Your option, where we're at now, is a risk as well that goes against the history of the NFL.

You're acting like it's common logic to go with the option that is historically inferior to the option I suggested. 

It's like...

Say you've got two players equally rated.  One is a TE, the other is a pass rusher.  You go with the pass rusher because he's more important.  If that tight end turns into a Hall of Fame tight end and the pass rusher busts, you still made the right decision based on your assessment, your assessment was just wrong.

This all has nothing to do with the discussion we were having. All we are discussing is the Packers failures on offense and who is responsible to fix them. I believe its on McCarthy, and you believe it is on Rodgers. I am not disputing your theory on what's the easier way to win a SB. Only reason the trade was brought up was to prove that Rodgers isn't the arrogant blowhard you make him out to be. And that if he was, he would be traded, pretty much exactly like Favre was.  Favre was  a player who refused to let his mistakes get called out in the meeting room during McCarthy's first few years. So in a way, the Favre situation mirrors the QB you describe in Rodgers. Arrogant, set in his way, and refusing to adapt to the coaches wishes. Favre was traded in the end. One would think that would be clue that Rodgers isn't that type QB.

Just now, KingOfTheNorth said:

This all has nothing to do with the discussion we were having. All we are discussing is the Packers failures on offense and who is responsible to fix them. I believe its on McCarthy, and you believe it is on Rodgers.

I'll prove my side of the argument really quickly:

Out of Rodgers/McCarthy, which one is on the field?

Out of Rodgers/McCarthy, which one is deciding to ignore open players?

Out of Rodgers/McCarthy, which one is deciding to take sacks instead of get rid of the ball? 

What option does McCarthy have other than to continue trying to get Rodgers to do what he has to? 

Do you threaten Rodgers with a benching?  If so, does that sit well with your job security or your relationship with Rodgers? 

Finally, what does McCarthy do?  Scream at Rodgers?  You're McCarthy.  What do you do? 

21 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

I'll prove my side of the argument really quickly:

Out of Rodgers/McCarthy, which one is on the field?

Out of Rodgers/McCarthy, which one is deciding to ignore open players?

Out of Rodgers/McCarthy, which one is deciding to take sacks instead of get rid of the ball? 

What option does McCarthy have other than to continue trying to get Rodgers to do what he has to? 

Do you threaten Rodgers with a benching?  If so, does that sit well with your job security or your relationship with Rodgers? 

Finally, what does McCarthy do?  Scream at Rodgers?  You're McCarthy.  What do you do? 

If Rodgers is ignoring my teachings I bench him. Even if its just for the opening quarter or the opening series. You send a message that this is a team game and it requires all players doing what is asked of them. I think a player as intellectual as Rodgers would understand that as a coach, McCarthy has a job to do. I get that its Rodgers and your job security is on the line. But to not make the decision because your scared is just as bad. McCarthy is already on the hot seat. If things don't improve he is going to be fired anyway. Why not send a message to the entire team that regardless of position and talent, you will be held to the same standards as everyone else.

McCarthy's issue isn't just with addressing Rodgers. Its reflected throughout the whole team with the penalties, turnovers, and missed assignments. To me this highlights more than anything what's wrong with the Packers. They lack direction and accountability.

I also just wanted to add that while I didn't enjoy every remark you made. I did enjoy the speed at which my work day went. I rarely get to talk football at home or in the office so I really appreciate this forum and the discussions on here. Even if I don't agree with everything written on it, I almost always enjoy myself and the interactions I have with all of you.

Edited by KingOfTheNorth

Just now, TheBitzMan said:

LOL @ MM trying to bench Rodgers. He would be fired for even thinking the thought. 

It was a hypothetical situation based around Rodgers being as bad as Outpost is describing him. I don't think MM would bench Rodgers, because I don't think Rodgers is ignoring him. But I went along with the situation to advance the discussion.

Just now, KingOfTheNorth said:

It was a hypothetical situation based around Rodgers being as bad as Outpost is describing him. I don't think MM would bench Rodgers, because I don't think Rodgers is ignoring him. But I went along with the situation to advance the discussion.

I get it. I was just LOLing to myself about how a convo would go between Rodgers and MM about a benching. 

16 minutes ago, KingOfTheNorth said:

But how can a hypothetical be your entire argument? If a hypothetical situation doesn't occur that isn't indicative of someone else's point being wrong, it just means the hypothetical is literally hypothetical, not existing in reality. Just because Rodgers isn't being benched doesn't mean McCarthy isn't trying to design plays to get underneath receivers open. He literally can't be benched without someone losing their job, therefore the hypothetical situation can't even happen and isn't a valid argument.

9 minutes ago, Kepler said:

But how can a hypothetical be your entire argument? If a hypothetical situation doesn't occur that isn't indicative of someone else's point being wrong, it just means the hypothetical is literally hypothetical, not existing in reality. Just because Rodgers isn't being benched doesn't mean McCarthy isn't trying to design plays to get underneath receivers open. He literally can't be benched without someone losing their job, therefore the hypothetical situation can't even happen and isn't a valid argument.

Outpost asked me what I would do if I was McCarthy and Rodgers wasn't listening to me. That was the hypothetical situation. The hypothetical situation wasn't my argument but the answer to what Outpost asked me.

1 hour ago, TheBitzMan said:

I get it. I was just LOLing to myself about how a convo would go between Rodgers and MM about a benching. 

I soooooo want to see the Rodgers presser after Mac benches him for a quarter.  The guy is snarky during wins, can you imagine the barbs he would throw out there?

Reporter:  So, Aaron, how did it feel to be benched during the first quarter of the game?

Rodgers:  I wasn't benched.  I was dehydrated.

Reporter:  Can you remember the last time you didn't start a game?

Rodgers:  I'll spell it out.  D-E-H-Y-D-R-A-T-E-D.

Reporter:  Did McCarthy tell you he was going to do this?

Rodgers:  The communist?  I think he's dead.

Reporter:  Come on Aaron, you going to give us a straight answer to any questions today?

Rodgers:  Now I'm hydrated, time to eat.  (Pulls out a Big Mac and chows down.)

You people criticizing Rodgers deserve a losing team.  Which is what you have.  A not good team.  They haven't been good since they won a SB.  1st round picks spent on defense every year, without a single good defense to show for it.  A team which wins 30 percent of their games while missing ONE player.  Yet, that one player is the problem?  What on earth is wrong with you?