5th Down Depreciation Thread

MacReady

Just now, Patriotplayer90 said:

Who was he supposed to throw it to in the past?  Lacy, Starks?  These are screen RBs or decoys.  If they have made a point to include them more in the running game, and he has like 1 starting receiver returning from a year ago, combined with his injury, then it's understandable that he isn't processing like usual.  I couldn't really tell much from that gif, tbh.  Was he looking for the ball, was he still in the route progression?  It's suspicious why it cuts off so early

Eddie Lacy had 42 receptions in Aaron's last MVP season almost like throwing to running backs helps Rodgers. 

17 minutes ago, RedRaider said:

My beef with Rodgers is that he is not willing to take what the defense gives until it's do or die time.  This offense can move the ball effectively with 4-6 yard gains and a few big plays peppered in rather than looking for the home run which leads to extending plays longer than necessary and Rodgers taking hits.  I think this offense got faster over the last year and the quick hitters are there to be had with receivers that can get the YAC.  

He's either not seeing or ignoring the open receivers underneath.  It's there to be had.  

Rodgers, holding the ball too long, is bound to get him injured worse than he already is, or maimed - even with the new sack rules.  For his own damn safety and health, he should be looking closer to the line of scrimmage more often.  Take some deep shots occasionally, but just get the ball out and keep the chains moving FCS.

• Like 1

Just now, TheBitzMan said:

Do not slander in-shape Eddie Lacy - guy was a beast. 

Oh, I know.  I was gonna say that Eddie was an absolute damn dirty beast with the ball in his hands in his healthy seasons, but I didn't want to find the gifs to prove it to this guy who doesn't even believe what he sees.  The fact that Rodgers only completed 42 passes to Lacy in his single full season with Lacy is a downright shame. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Outpost31 said:

Obviously Rodgers still has the ability to be great.  You're not coming back the way he has so often this season if you're not great.  The issue I have with Rodgers is that he can ALWAYS be great.  Tied, ahead, behind.  I hate how he only flips that great switch when it's do or die the past few seasons.   Imagine 4th quarter Rodgers in the first and second quarters.  Imagine defenders having to defend backs all game. 

That's why I'm so mad at him.  He IS great, but he could be GREATER. 

He is not a machine.  He is human and he isn't always GREAT.  Nobody is.  I think he'll come around.  He always does.  But to knock him when he isn't is asking a hell of a lot IMO.

3 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Oh, I know.  I was gonna say that Eddie was an absolute damn dirty beast with the ball in his hands in his healthy seasons, but I didn't want to find the gifs to prove it to this guy who doesn't even believe what he sees.  The fact that Rodgers only completed 42 passes to Lacy in his single full season with Lacy is a downright shame. 

I know you know. @Patriotplayer90 may not however. It is well documented that Rodgers has a history of turning down checkdowns. It has lead to some big plays but it has also created throwaways and sacks. 

I am one of Rodgers' biggest stans but to say he couldn't do some things better is just wrong. He is the GOAT in my opinion and can still improve. 

From a skill-set perspective, including his IQ for the game, Rodgers probably is the GOAT.  That being said, I hesitate to crown him as such until his career is over.  How he handles his remaining years in the NFL, his level of play and leadership, etc. will complete the picture about his greatness.

32 minutes ago, RedRaider said:

My beef with Rodgers is that he is not willing to take what the defense gives until it's do or die time.  This offense can move the ball effectively with 4-6 yard gains and a few big plays peppered in rather than looking for the home run which leads to extending plays longer than necessary and Rodgers taking hits.  I think this offense got faster over the last year and the quick hitters are there to be had with receivers that can get the YAC.  

He's either not seeing or ignoring the open receivers underneath.  It's there to be had.  

This isn’t a new thing with Rodgers. I was harping on this back in 2011/12 in regards to Finley. Back then he was obviously hitting the big plays much more often, but countless times you’d see Finley open on an underneath drag or out route or curl, and Rodgers would see him but hold the ball a little longer, instead looking for Nelson or Jennings down field. He started dumping it off to Fin more in 2013(Finley also bulked up a lot and became pretty good at yac) but then we lost him forever. With his injury I was expecting more quick hitters. Rodgers is just gonna be Rodgers I’m not sure if he’ll change that after this long. 

I am really starting to understand what non Packer fans mean when they say we are spoiled. Rodgers just did some pretty amazing things, and yet we are all still here complaining that he missed a RB on a play. Even when Rodgers does miss the occasional open player, it is still doesn't crack the list of top 10 issues the Packers need to address.

Edited by KingOfTheNorth
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, KingOfTheNorth said:

I am really starting to understand what non Packer fans mean when they say we are spoiled. Rodgers just did some pretty amazing things, and yet we are all still here complaining that he missed a RB on a play. Even when Rodgers does miss the occasional open player, it is still doesn't crack the list of top 10 issues the Packers need to address.

We are definitely spoiled, and we continually ask Rodgers to cover up and mask the other deficiencies of this team, almost singlehandedly, which obviously isn't fair.  That being said, many of us have a lot of time on our hands to wile away the boredom of our lives, so we discuss how an already great QB could/should be even greater.  Crazy I know, but it is what it is.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Siv said:

This isn’t a new thing with Rodgers. I was harping on this back in 2011/12 in regards to Finley. Back then he was obviously hitting the big plays much more often, but countless times you’d see Finley open on an underneath drag or out route or curl, and Rodgers would see him but hold the ball a little longer, instead looking for Nelson or Jennings down field. He started dumping it off to Fin more in 2013(Finley also bulked up a lot and became pretty good at yac) but then we lost him forever. With his injury I was expecting more quick hitters. Rodgers is just gonna be Rodgers I’m not sure if he’ll change that after this long. 

I probably would have said the same thing about Favre, but then 2007 happened. 

2 hours ago, KingOfTheNorth said:

No, for the love of God, we aren't spoiled.  The Patriots were spoiled having a QB who takes exactly what he needs to take for them to be successful while being criminally underpaid.  Rodgers is the highest paid player in the league.  

We're not asking Rodgers to do anything difficult.  We are literally askin him to do things that are easier than what he does.

To sum it all up... 

We are asking the highest paid player in the league to make things easier on himself.  How is that acting spoiled?

1 minute ago, Outpost31 said:

No, for the love of God, we aren't spoiled.  The Patriots were spoiled having a QB who takes exactly what he needs to take for them to be successful while being criminally underpaid.  Rodgers is the highest paid player in the league.  

We're not asking Rodgers to do anything difficult.  We are literally askin him to do things that are easier than what he does.

To sum it all up... 

We are asking the highest paid player in the league to make things easier on himself.  How is that acting spoiled?

Because we have the audacity to question anything Rodgers does. He's infallible at this point, much like Favre was at the end.

2 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

To sum it all up... 

LOL, what in the world makes you think you know how to QB better than Rodgers? Not asking him to do anything difficult? EVERYTHING a QB does is difficult.