5th Down Depreciation Thread

MacReady

Just now, dcerb44 said:

Based on the argument you made, no. 

I'm not expecting McCarthy to field a winning team without Rodgers.  But come on, 2 wins in 2013 and 3 in 2017 out of a possible 18.  I don't find that acceptable.  You would expect some of the success the team has experienced the past decade to stay intact.

4 minutes ago, Patriotplayer90 said:

I'm not expecting McCarthy to field a winning team without Rodgers.  But come on, 2 wins in 2013 and 3 in 2017 out of a possible 18.  I don't find that acceptable.  You would expect some of the success the team has experienced the past decade to stay intact.

GB was 5-8-1 in those years after Rodgers got hurt (ignoring the obvious tank games in 2017 after Rodgers got shut down again).

And we were missing way more than just Rodgers for some of those too.

1 minute ago, Patriotplayer90 said:

No, expecting similar results with an inferior player is the issue. I don’t replace Jordan with a JAG and expect him to perform anywhere close to Jordan. So why do you expect the same for the crap we had at backup? 

Thats more a Ted issue than a Mac one. 

Our offense is built to the strengths Rodgers has. The playbook has been tailor made to play that way. Furthermore, we’re not even looking at how the loss of our vet receiving core had on that. Flynn did adequate while we still had the core of Jennings, Nelson, Jones, and Cobb. That’s a lot of vet experience. Throw a bad QB in the mix with aging players who’ve lost a step nd young guys who haven’t quite broken out yet (Adams) and it’s easy to see why there’s was such a difference in 17. 

10 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

GB was 5-8-1 in those years after Rodgers got hurt (ignoring the obvious tank games in 2017 after Rodgers got shut down again).

Need to account that in 2013, GB last Seneca Wallace to injury in the next game after Rodgers went down.  So going to the 3rd QB on the roster is going to be hard on any team.

18 minutes ago, Patriotplayer90 said:

not with a (1) huge cap handicap, (2) averaging a bottom-6 draft slot over the previous 4 drafts, and (3) having a bottom-5 starting QB. Tolzien & Hundley hurt the team as much as Rodgers helps the team.

25 minutes ago, dcerb44 said:

No, expecting similar results with an inferior player is the issue. I don’t replace Jordan with a JAG and expect him to perform anywhere close to Jordan. So why do you expect the same for the crap we had at backup? 

Thats more a Ted issue than a Mac one. 

Our offense is built to the strengths Rodgers has. The playbook has been tailor made to play that way. Furthermore, we’re not even looking at how the loss of our vet receiving core had on that. Flynn did adequate while we still had the core of Jennings, Nelson, Jones, and Cobb. That’s a lot of vet experience. Throw a bad QB in the mix with aging players who’ve lost a step nd young guys who haven’t quite broken out yet (Adams) and it’s easy to see why there’s was such a difference in 17. 

Why would anyone have to "tailor" their playbook for the most gifted QB of all time?  What exactly are his weaknesses which would have to be taken into account?  And show some sort of proof that a play was made specifically for his skillset.  

You all think that Hundley is just the worst thing on the face of the planet.  McCarthy watched him in practice for years.  Why did he say nothing?  

26 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

You are obviously omitting games in which the backup came in early in the game.  Do these automatically get counted as losses, or does the team give up despite being in position for a playoff run?  Did McCarthy not prepare his QB to take over in case of injury?  Or do they just help your argument (as does the omitting of losses which would happen no matter the circumstance).  And are you really suggesting that McCarthy tanked games after the way the team performed that season?

Let's not forget that one of the wins came against an 0-16 team.  In overtime.  

Edited by Patriotplayer90

This thread is ridiculous. I remember another one similar to start the 2015 or 2016 season, with similar stats, and Rodgers not looking himself and then he tore the rest of the season up. This forum is such a “now” place smh. 

Rodgers could of been the football GOAT if you guys built good teams around him and got him some rings. You literally have been wasting his prime for the past 5-6 years. If I was ARod I wouldn’t of signed a huge length of deal with the Packers. Give me two years 67M fully guaranteed and MM is fired with ANYTHING short of a Super Bowl appearance. 

Sorry, I usually don’t rag on the Packers... but Aaron Rodgers isn’t the problem. The Packers are wasting Aaron Rodgers prime,  he’s not wasting theres.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

This thread is ridiculous. I remember another one similar to start the 2015 or 2016 season, with similar stats, and Rodgers not looking himself and then he tore the rest of the season up. This forum is such a “now” place smh. 

Rodgers could of been the football GOAT if you guys built good teams around him and got him some rings. You literally have been wasting his prime for the past 5-6 years. If I was ARod I wouldn’t of signed a huge length of deal with the Packers. Give me two years 67M fully guaranteed and MM is fired with ANYTHING short of a Super Bowl appearance. 

Sorry, I usually don’t rag on the Packers... but Aaron Rodgers isn’t the problem. The Packers are wasting Aaron Rodgers prime,  he’s not wasting theres.

The opinion of every one in the world who is not a Proud(stubborn) Packer fan.

Edited by Patriotplayer90

Just now, Patriotplayer90 said:

Why did he say nothing?  

how do you know that? are you omniscient? 

and even if they did draft a higher QB, people like you would be whining about how they're wasting their meager draft capital on a guy that will sit on the bench and "we're should be trying to help Rodgers win now!" even if someone had a crystal ball and knew Rodgers would get hurt, do you waste a high pick on a QB when he'll be on the bench 3 out of his 4 years with the team, and still might not be quite good enough to get the job done in the 1 year he's playing, or even prove enough in the limited time to make himself a tradeable asset? but hey, you can say they had a couple more wins with Rodgers out.~ big whoop. 

same applies if they had spent more to sign a more talented backup in FA (assuming there are loads of talented guys willing to be backups). his $ would displace somebody else on the roster. maybe then you don't have the cap to bring back a Nelson or a Lang or the cap to bring in a Peppers. and people would be complaining about spending the resources that will sit on the bench for all or most of his contract. 

they took the calculated risk that the smart money is on. but then in the isolated duration the risk is hurting them, people come out of the woodwork to take hindsight shots to get their frustrations out and feel like they're somehow smart.

11 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

that's why you're not a gm. there is such a thing as a salary cap. and it's hard to build a team when you're drafting in the bottom-6 every year and competing in a 32-team field. get the "wasting Rodgers' prime" crap outta here.

7 minutes ago, Patriotplayer90 said:

The opinion of every one in the world who is not a Proud(stubborn) Packer fan.

I sincerely hope not... the Packers have done a terrible drafting job for years now and never bring in good FAs. Honestly Rodgers must really like that Wiscoinsin cheese and beer. Rodgers on the Rams would have like 58!TDs and a 130 QB Rating. No offense to Goff, doing a splendid job over there. Every time Rodgers throws to someone I’m usually like “Who the fook is that guy?”.