5th Down Depreciation Thread

MacReady

6 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Here's an an official warning.  I asked you to get back on topic, and you choose to continue down this path.  Forum rules are pretty straight forward.  Discuss football, not posters.

He is talking about football ?

Nothing in that second post was a personal attack. 

9 hours ago, sgtcheezwiz said:

Imo Rodgers being under pressure all the time is a bigger issue than Rodgers missing an open guy underneath here and there. 

Part of that is on the o line and part of it is on whoever is to blame for abandoning the running game, and part definitely on Mac for giving Jones only a portion of the carries

I wonder if AR is under pressure right away so much because we are always screwing around while the play clock dwindles down to zero.  The defense knows we have to snap it so the advantage for the O line disappears.   And how many times do we have waste a time out because of this nonsense?  Why does it take forever?  We don't see this craziness with other teams. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Pugger said:

I wonder if AR is under pressure right away so much because we are always screwing around while the play clock dwindles down to zero.  The defense knows we have to snap it so the advantage for the O line disappears.   And how many times do we have waste a time out because of this nonsense?  Why does it take forever?  We don't see this craziness with other teams. 

You'd think part of the organizational/administrative process would be for someone to be listening in to the HC/QB dialog and taking note of the time it takes to get the call transferred. Developing an average range that takes place in  -  and using that data - adjusting the process where necessary.

As for hiking the ball as the play clock reaches zero - I've always attributed that to ARs attempting to get the D to jump offside and get a free play.
That doesnt seem to happen anymore - or certainly not with the frequency it has in the past.

Edited by Leader

46 minutes ago, Pugger said:

I think the main issues are that the interior line is meh and then play calling. We were running it down SF's throat and it opened up play action, guys were running wide open in the secondary and Rodgers was able to find them quickly. Then we got two turnovers and seemed to try to force the dagger too early, Rodgers threw six straight incompletions in a row. The run was all but abandoned the rest of the game yet we continued to run PA bootleg after PA bootleg and they were blown up almost every time. 

We need to run to slow down these pass rushes and to make the bootlegs and play action plays effective. 

Then you have drives getting murdered by penalties, whole drives erased by penalties on the O line and special teams, that's just not going to cut it if this team is to go anywhere.

I can only hope MM is playing some long game with Aaron Jones, unleashing him for this rough stretch after the bye of games and only doing the bare minimum before. Maybe I give him too much credit though

Yes you are giving MM too much credit.  I'm not saying he's a bad coach, but his style is wearing thin and things are getting stale.

Where the hell is the 'no huddle' offense?  Yes, Rodgers holds the ball too long sometimes, but he is still the best in the league and is at his best uptempo.  That's where MM fails.  Our offense has had no rhythm all year. We are at our best when we're desperate right now.

2 hours ago, sgtcheezwiz said:

I think the main issues are that the interior line is meh and then play calling. We were running it down SF's throat and it opened up play action, guys were running wide open in the secondary and Rodgers was able to find them quickly. Then we got two turnovers and seemed to try to force the dagger too early, Rodgers threw six straight incompletions in a row. The run was all but abandoned the rest of the game yet we continued to run PA bootleg after PA bootleg and they were blown up almost every time. 

We need to run to slow down these pass rushes and to make the bootlegs and play action plays effective. 

Then you have drives getting murdered by penalties, whole drives erased by penalties on the O line and special teams, that's just not going to cut it if this team is to go anywhere.

I can only hope MM is playing some long game with Aaron Jones, unleashing him for this rough stretch after the bye of games and only doing the bare minimum before. Maybe I give him too much credit though

But we really don't know how often AR is changing the plays called by MM at the LOS.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, incognito_man said:

MM has a top 10 active HC record in games without Rodgers.

MM (without Rodgers) has like a .200 point winning % advantage over Belichick without Brady.

Your opinion is bad and you should feel bad.

Are you seriously including BB's stint with the worst organization in football 25 years ago?  He is 14-6 the last 20 games without Brady, MM is 6-13-1 or something like that.  Since MM became a coach, Belichick has a higher winning percentage without Brady than MM has with Rodgers.  

And you are obviously including MM's record with another HOF QB, who won 12 games just two years later with a different coach who absolutely nobody would consider to be good.  Nobody said he couldn't win games with a HOF QB, as can anyone.  This apparently makes him good in the eyes of many.

Edited by Patriotplayer90

7 hours ago, Dubz41 said:

Yes you are giving MM too much credit.  I'm not saying he's a bad coach, but his style is wearing thin and things are getting stale.

Where the hell is the 'no huddle' offense?  Yes, Rodgers holds the ball too long sometimes, but he is still the best in the league and is at his best uptempo.  That's where MM fails.  Our offense has had no rhythm all year. We are at our best when we're desperate right now.

Maybe with the rookie WRs they can't run a no huddle?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Patriotplayer90 said:

Are you seriously including BB's stint with the worst organization in football 25 years ago?  He is 14-6 the last 20 games without Brady, MM is 6-13-1 or something like that.  Since MM became a coach, Belichick has a higher winning percentage without Brady than MM has with Rodgers.  

And you are obviously including MM's record with another HOF QB, who won 12 games just two years later with a different coach who absolutely nobody would consider to be good.  Nobody said he couldn't win games with a HOF QB, as can anyone.  This apparently makes him good in the eyes of many.

I think all he's trying to point out is how dumb looking at coaches' records with backup QBs are. It really is super dumb and has no bearing on what a coaches talents are so let's stop using it.

6 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I think all he's trying to point out is how dumb looking at coaches' records with backup QBs are. It really is super dumb and has no bearing on what a coaches talents are so let's stop using it.

Explain this .  He's the coach, both of the team and offense.  Are you saying he is completely unaccountable for how either one performs when just one player goes down?  By this logic, every coach stuck with a bad QB deserves a benefit of the doubt.  It doesn't work like that.

5 minutes ago, Patriotplayer90 said:

Explain this .  He's the coach, both of the team and offense.  Are you saying he is completely unaccountable for how either one performs when just one player goes down?  By this logic, every coach stuck with a bad QB deserves a benefit of the doubt.  It doesn't work like that.

Every moment of his preparation in the off-season and the construction of a roster is pieced around a franchise QB. This fake fairytale McCarthy haters come up with that a different coach would lead to a different result is simply foolish. The Packers are built around Rodgers. Belicheck isn't winning with Hundley at QB here.