5th Down Depreciation Thread

MacReady

1 hour ago, Dubz41 said:

Here I'll repost this since you don't seem to remember what I was asking.  Did you catch the argument between Mooch and Warner?

Do you get what Warner was getting at?

IF mm is a good coach and IF Rodgers is the QB we think he is....why all the dysfunction on our offense?

Excellent question Dubz.  If I relate it to this question, I think we have our answer:  why is New England constantly good?  Great coaching, crafty drafting and use of FA.  Most everything else between the two teams is pretty similar - both teams have a top QB, always draft near the bottom, have middle of the road talent most years, but somehow, the Patriots continue to be great year after year after year.  So the only difference I can see between the two organizations is great coaching, drafting and use of FA.

43 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

Excellent question Dubz.  If I relate it to this question, I think we have our answer:  why is New England constantly good?  Great coaching, crafty drafting and use of FA.  Most everything else between the two teams is pretty similar - both teams have a top QB, always draft near the bottom, have middle of the road talent most years, but somehow, the Patriots continue to be great year after year after year.  So the only difference I can see between the two organizations is great coaching, drafting and use of FA.

Agree on all of this though I don't think the drafting records are that different. NE has had a lot of drafting misses as well.

However, in addition to their active participation in free agency, prior to this season, the Patriots under Bill Belichek made the MOST player trades of any NFL team over the past decade, bringing in the likes of Randy Moss and numerous lesser knowns to supplement their roster -- the Josh Gordon trade being the latest example as well as trading away premium players in return for picks (guys like Chandler Jones, Richard Seymour, and Logan Mankins).

Meanwhile, the Packers did not make a single (unconditional) player trade during the last several years of previous GM's reign. The last noteworthy such Packer trade was when they shipped a 6th rounder to the Giants for Ryan Grant back in 2007.

Under Gute, the Packers made 5 such trades in 2018.

1 hour ago, TheOnlyThing said:

Agree on all of this though I don't think the drafting records are that different. NE has had a lot of drafting misses as well.

However, in addition to their active participation in free agency, prior to this season, the Patriots under Bill Belichek made the MOST player trades of any NFL team over the past decade, bringing in the likes of Randy Moss and numerous lesser knowns to supplement their roster -- the Josh Gordon trade being the latest example as well as trading away premium players in return for picks (guys like Chandler Jones, Richard Seymour, and Logan Mankins).

Meanwhile, the Packers did not make a single (unconditional) player trade during the last several years of previous GM's reign. The last noteworthy such Packer trade was when they shipped a 6th rounder to the Giants for Ryan Grant back in 2007.

1265 missed that memo

Wait, 5 noteworthy player trades? 

Ted trades Ty for a 7th, that would be noteworthy?

HaHa for a 4th? Noteworthy?

A starting safety for a guy who doesn't want to play football and the worst starting QB in the NFL last year? Noteworthy?

I bet he'd quote that Morrison was a noteworthy acquisition, no more noteworthy than Anthony Smith coming back was so far.

WTF is even the other one

Gute could trade for AJ Hawk and he'd call it noteworthy. 

t.r.o.l.l.

I'm glad Gute is more active in trades. Note a single one of them has done **** to improve this team in ANY meaningful way yet, aka "noteworthy."

Stop quoting it.

3 hours ago, HighCalebR said:

Do you understand that McVay and Shanahan absolutely ride their Qbs to victory while requiring their WRs to win certain routes?

There's plenty of times we have a receiver running open but it's not the guy Rodgers wanted, usually the iso route he expects his guy to win, but won't throw into coverage.

Getting a little peevish there aren't you?  You a big Ram and 49er fan?  Didn't think so.  McVay is riding his defense (until recently) and their All Pro RB.

Why do you keep bringing up Shanahan? The guy hasn't even made the damn playoffs yet?!?! Quit being so obtuse.  The system MM has ran has always had these questions.  KC showed the league how to defend the Pack the year we went 15-1.  Ever since, we have stuggled.  Yes, you can quote statistics, whoopee.  IF YOU WATCH THE GAMES YOU CAN SEE THAT WE STRUGGLE.  Okay?

3 hours ago, TheOnlyThing said:

Trades which have ended up with us on the short side of the stick.  Unlike NE

6 hours ago, HighCalebR said:

Do you understand that McVay and Shanahan absolutely ride their Qbs to victory while requiring their WRs to win certain routes?

There's plenty of times we have a receiver running open but it's not the guy Rodgers wanted, usually the iso route he expects his guy to win, but won't throw into coverage.

If you think McVay rides his QB to victories, you know very little about the Rams.

2 hours ago, Sasquatch said:

Or, 31 other teams that don’t know how to cheat wisely.:ph34r:

We're just waiting for them to get outed, it's cool. Look at other sports where it happened.

Are you mad nobody cheated as hard as Lance?

Edited by Norm

2 hours ago, Mazrimiv said:

If you think McVay rides his QB to victories, you know very little about the Rams.

Gurley is as much of a threat to catch from the backfield as he is to run it. They run him iso a lot. Goff has to make positive throws, if he doesnt the rams offense wouldnt move. Not all of his throws are to wide open guys. If Goff wasnt a threat to hit any downfield pass at any time the rams are much easier to defend. Goff has been exceptional but when his receivers stopped winning against our D they sputtered for a good portion of the game. Same situation as they found themselves against the saints.

You think the Rams are winning all these games with even Stafford as the QB? I don't.