5th Down Depreciation Thread

MacReady

12 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

Also needs to see the field better and get the ball out sooner.  Drop back 3-4 steps, plant, throw.  Or just hand the ball to Jones.

So much this. My memory might be tainted by my anger right now but when I watch other teams it feels like the time from the snap to the throw / handoff is much quicker, like everything has a point and everyone is aligned about whan they are trying to accomplish. The QB gets the ball and throws immediately or does a quick survey and then throws. Often when we play it feels like AR is getting the ball and then thinking about what to do. LIS, I might be biased now because I'm upset, but I feel like AR is the QB with the most post-snap thinking to do.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

You're giving Aaron a whole lot of pass.

Jones' best plays came on dump offs and screens, which could have continued throughout the game. AR missed on a few gimme throws from the "best QB in football". 

On a pass play if you never take what's underneath, defenders will fly to the deeper zones.

Throw aways are hardly considered a real negative play. Sometimes an int isn't worse than a sack or a throwaway if you're giving your guy a chance to make a play. It's the NFL sometimes guys have to catch balls they shouldn't.

Yes, AR isn't hitting on all cylinders right now so why are we screwing around with these long pass patterns instead of taking what's underneath?  Is that the scheme or is it Rodgers?  

Just now, Pugger said:

Yes, AR isn't hitting on all cylinders right now so why are we screwing around with these long pass patterns instead of taking what's underneath?  Is that the scheme or is it Rodgers?  

They aren't all long pass patterns. They're patterns that happen to have a long passing route among them. There's numerous examples of Rodgers passing up opportunities underneath. 

It's both right now. I feel like Mac doesn't use his players in the best fit in the most critical situations and Rodgers will make every play call critical. Right now this offense is a bad Coach/QB confluence. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, incognito_man said:

People will come around. Polaris was alone in hating on Favre until he convinced a couple of us.

It's still a different situation now, but the blind fan adoration and support for Rodgers is rivaling or surpassing Favre now.

I think it’s probably partly to do with the explosion of fantasy football, which is bigger now than it was then. A lot more ppl these days are just boxscore watchers. 

Plus the whole Patriots thing with Brady wasn’t as far along, so fewer people were using that as some sort of lever to argue that it’s the team’s job to get SB’s “for” a QB. A certain segment feel so insecure about Brady and have a need for Arod to be widely recognized by NFL fans as being above Brady in historical perspective so the GB fans can have bragging rights against other fanbases in that aspect. 

4 hours ago, persiandud said:

has anyone seen this? i love kollmann, he does a great job analyzing film. this is a must watch for anyone who is wondering why our offense is not firing on all cylinders 

Look at 5:40. Is that a QB keeper or is it a zone read? Looks more like the latter to me. 

At 6:30, he's complaining about a drive in which we scored a TD. I don't disagree that I would like to see us run more in the redzone, but that's not this team's issue right now.

At 7:10, look at the boxes the Packers defense is showing the Patriots vs. the boxes that the Patriots are showing the Packers, that's a big reason for the change in run/pass.

At 8:10, how the hell are you blaming the coach when his primary option is open? Pause this play at 8:14. Look at EQ. Why the **** isn't this ball coming out right there. Why is Aaron watching his teammate run, taking two steps up in the pocket, and double clutching before throwing this? And then throwing it behind his target. He's late on release and behind on location. This isn't a difficult throw for an NFL QB to make. That's the standard.

At 10:10, why the hell is every streak route from Rodgers left short this year? Every single god damn one. He's incapable of hitting anybody in stride on these. We saw it last night again. That second drive against the Seahawks is a TD if Rodgers can place that ball like a D1 College QB. He's not doing it.

At 11:41, pause this video and tell me why this throw isn't going to Davante here? You've got your #1 target in the slot wide open right in front of your face. A good QB throws that ball with anticipation. His motion is starting as Davante is coming out of the break. Instead, Rodgers only starts his motion when he confirms that Davante is open and by the time he takes his now necessary extra step forward, the window is closed. THROW THE BALL

At 14:00, he's absloutely right, you have to throw that ball to Scantling. That is the offense. Going off script into a freaking checkdown is inexcusable.

8 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

We aren't going to convert every time.  That is an absurd standard.  But often, if you care to look, there are players open short on these passes that Aaron will overlook.  McCarthy absolutely should hold him accountable for this.  But he isn't controlling Rodgers with a video game controller.  Rodgers makes those decisions.  Rodgers is getting a pass with a large portion of the fan base just like Favre did before him.

I know there is a strong contingent that wants McCarthy fired.  I honestly don't care.  I just don't like the blame shifting.  Rodgers is responsible for his own errors, and he does make them.

But who here is letting Rodgers escape criticism? He's always been fastidious about tight windows and who he throws the ball too. He's absolutely partial to certain route concepts and doesn't entirely use the field. Plus,  I've always maintained that Favre was the superior short to medium thrower to Rodgers as well. 

But at the end of the day, McCarthy is the head coach. He implements the offensive system and is ultimately responsible for the results. And the results have been horrid. How many playoff games have they won since the super bowl victory? 5? And that was with some cozy homefield situations. Completely unacceptable. He has to go and we need a coach to reinvigorate Rodgers. 

Edited by Howler

2 minutes ago, Howler said:

But who here is letting Rodgers escape criticism? He's always been fastidious about tight windows and who he throws the ball too. He's absolutely partial to certain route concepts and doesn't entirely use the field. Plus,  I've always maintained that Favre was the superior short to medium thrower to Rodgers as well. 

But at the end of the day, McCarthy is the head coach. He implements the offensive system and is ultimately responsible for the results. And the results have been horrid. How many playoff games have they won since the super bowl victory? 5? And that was with some cozy homefield situations. Completely unacceptable. He has to go and we need a coach to reinvigorate Rodgers. 

Take the final 3rd down.  Rodgers said the ball stuck to his hand, but he missed the throw.  What could McCarthy have done differently to change what happened? 

You, and others, seem to have a tunnel vision about fire McCarthy.  So then you are finding every excuse to make things his fault.  I will repeat, I don't care if McCarthy stays or goes.  When he calls plays that have players open, but the QB doesn't take those options it is not at the coach's feet.

10 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Take the final 3rd down.  Rodgers said the ball stuck to his hand, but he missed the throw.  What could McCarthy have done differently to change what happened? 

You, and others, seem to have a tunnel vision about fire McCarthy.  So then you are finding every excuse to make things his fault.  I will repeat, I don't care if McCarthy stays or goes.  When he calls plays that have players open, but the QB doesn't take those options it is not at the coach's feet.

Why was this team placed in a do or die situation in Seattle, when they fell apart in both Washington and Detroit? This is absolutely on the coach. 

19 minutes ago, Patriotplayer90 said:

It's almost as if coming off a serious upper body injury and tearing your knee within 3 regular season games could have an effect on the performance of the QB.  But no, let's ignore the running game and hang him out to dry with young receivers instead of making things easier on him.

Good to see most of our fans, like Aaron, learned absolutely nothing from the end of Favre's career and have both reverted back to 2005.

Aaron is the most talented QB in the NFL this year playing like a middling league average QB. Call a damn spade a spade and stop treating him like a deity.

• Like 9

Completely empty game from Rodgers last night. He doesn't trust the scheme or the rookie WRs. He threw one timing route to a player not named Davante last night. He is so risk adverse he will not throw the ball to the rookie WRs unless they are wide open or he is in a desperate situation. 

Rodgers is not a QB who can run a scheme predicated on timing routes with rookie WRs he doesn't fully trust.