5th Down Depreciation Thread

MacReady

1 hour ago, Outpost31 said:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/12/17/aaron-rodgers-avoids-interceptions-but-he-leads-the-nfl-in-bad-plays/

Aaron Rodgers leads the league in bad plays.  But only two interceptions.  Lol. 

Told y'all we should have at LEAST made him play out those final two years on his contract.  He is robbing us and most of us don't even know or can't even accept that he's robbing us. 

What Rodgers is doing this year is walking into a bank vault, walking out with bags full of money and telling everyone in the bank he's not stealing it and everyone believing him. 

What is it?  Do people just not want to believe?  Do they watch him and convince themselves that it's a bad OL, bad coach, bad players... Davante Adams is arguably better than any receiver Favre had other than Sharpe and people complained that Favre never had the talent around him.  Favre had the equivalent of a healthy Bulaga at LT, Rodgers has Bakhtiari.  Favre had a year where Samkon Gado was the lead back with Rod Gardner brought in and that one Cobb-like receiver and Koren Robinson as his top three receivers. 

I'm just sick of people not accepting that Rodgers is having a really, really, really bad year.  It's bad.  It's not bad by Aaron's standards, it is a bad year for him period.  Don't know how you can watch the Cardinals game and a handful of other games and point your finger at his lack of help when he's got players streaking open on every single play that he doesn't throw to. 

im on board with you Outpost. His play on the field and his demeanor have really pissed me off.   If he isnt going to play well then he at least needs to lead the other guys and help the young WRs. he just scolds them and moves on to the next play. its a little embarrassing to see on TV.

1 hour ago, Outpost31 said:

I'm not trying to suggest Rodgers is the worst QB in the NFL, just pointing out that his "godly" lack of interceptions come with their own consequences.  That fact can be gleamed from those numbers.  Sacks, with a bad punter, can be just as bad as an interception. 

Sacks piss me off. Throwaways piss me off. Interceptions obviously piss me off.

But I think the play that pisses me off the most this year is the too short / too low throw. I don't know if Aaron doesn't trust the receivers or if he's just physically or mechanically off but I'm tired of him targeting the receivers ankles only for people to go "oh well it was a poor throw but the WR has to make a play there". Other times the receiver does make the play but they have to slide to catch the ball so there's no YAC where there could have been. Has he become so incredibly self aware about the INT ratio that it's crippling his game?

21 minutes ago, Packer_ESP said:

But I think the play that pisses me off the most this year is the too short / too low throw. I don't know if Aaron doesn't trust the receivers or if he's just physically or mechanically off but I'm tired of him targeting the receivers ankles only for people to go "oh well it was a poor throw but the WR has to make a play there". Other times the receiver does make the play but they have to slide to catch the ball so there's no YAC where there could have been. Has he become so incredibly self aware about the INT ratio that it's crippling his game?

he cares about INTs WAY too much. and it does cripple his game. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Packer_ESP said:

Yeah, starting to wonder if his perfectionism also extends to weird ball placement standards too.  Just put it on the guy.  

1 hour ago, gopackgo247 said:

im on board with you Outpost. His play on the field and his demeanor have really pissed me off.   If he isnt going to play well then he at least needs to lead the other guys and help the young WRs. he just scolds them and moves on to the next play. its a little embarrassing to see on TV.

His play this year is disappointing but when he gestures to his teammates he isn't doing anything different than other QBs do when things are going south.

7 minutes ago, Pugger said:

His play this year is disappointing but when he gestures to his teammates he isn't doing anything different than other QBs do when things are going south.

Don't think I have literally ever once seen Brees yell at his receivers or give them the dirty eye.

• Like 1

There is one thing to bring up about Rodgers and this offense. As dysfunctional as it seems, they are 7th in DVOA, 9th in passing and 4th in rushing, They stink in the red zone which is killing them and being blow average on 3rd down isn't helping the defense or the scoring.

So a down year for the Packers offense is pretty average for the League. Packers are 15th in scoring at 23.7 points per game. A career bad year for Rodgers at this point means he is probably only the 10th best passer.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Pugger said:

There is one thing to bring up about Rodgers and this offense. As dysfunctional as it seems, they are 7th in DVOA, 9th in passing and 4th in rushing, They stink in the red zone which is killing them and being blow average on 3rd down isn't helping the defense or the scoring.

So a down year for the Packers offense is pretty average for the League. Packers are 15th in scoring at 23.7 points per game. A career bad year for Rodgers at this point means he is probably only the 10th best passer.

I appreciate your defense of Rodgers, and if he reads this forum, I’m sure he’d thank you also.  What fans of GB and others outside are critical of is he’s putting up numbers - in 14 games - not commensurate with the highest paid player in the game.  Given his salary and history of awesomeness, it’s no surprise that folks are asking a lot of hard questions right now - especially since this is not an isolated case of a few games.  

You’ve got to understand Pugger, that “average” is a relative term, and has never ever ever ever been a word associated with Rodgers...ever before.  You’ve stated he’s had an average year - millions of others have also.  That’s why folks are perplexed, upset, sad, confused, outright pi$$ed off.  Hopefully, it’s a situation that can be corrected - all of us here want that, obviously.

• Like 1

I'm not sure why anyone was expecting anything different Sunday or for the rest of the season. There's no NFL AAA we could send him where he can focus on getting right.

Dude is broken, he's going to need a knee clean up most likely and then when he's healthy he's going to have to break down loads of film with a QB guru and dial his form back in.

Look at Tom Brady's 2012-2014 or Manning's age 34 season, or Favre, etc... Brees the 22 picks as a 31 year old and then 19 as a 33 year old. The mid 30s slump is totally natural for a HOF QB. You probably have things you must do to counteract for your age and years in the league. 

Rodgers will find his, and get it right.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I'm not sure why anyone was expecting anything different Sunday or for the rest of the season. There's no NFL AAA we could send him where he can focus on getting right.

Dude is broken, he's going to need a knee clean up most likely and then when he's healthy he's going to have to break down loads of film with a QB guru and dial his form back in.

Look at Tom Brady's 2012-2014 or Manning's age 34 season, or Favre, etc... Brees the 22 picks as a 31 year old and then 19 as a 33 year old. The mid 30s slump is totally natural for a HOF QB. You probably have things you must do to counteract for your age and years in the league. 

Rodgers will find his, and get it right.

I’m sure he will.  It happens in every sport to many of its greats.  None of this changes “hope”, which fans across all platforms employ even in the direst of situations of their beloved teams or players.  Never sh!t on hope - sometimes it’s all we have.

He's not a 28 year old anymore. Like other posters have said other QBs have gone through some of these slumps. He needs to get healthy, and we need to get a coach in here that will stop the big play hold out and adjust to a more Brady like game. He still have MVPs and Lombardis in him, but he also has to put in the work.