Official We Need Help at WR Thread

dtait93

1 minute ago, titanrick said:

So if Sharpe is turning it on and Davis has the talent he showed in the Philly game, why is this offense so stagnant?

I'm not ready to pin it all on Marcus.  Call me naive but I still have faith that he is our long-term answer at QB.

Shhhhh or @TitanSS will hear you!  :)

I personally think Marcus will be the QB for the foresable future, unless he gets a major injury or completely self-destructs.  Or the highly unlikely scenario he wants to be the highest paid QB in the league and holds out. 
I think we will sign him to a deal that will be less than franchise, but enough to make people who aren't sure about him upset. Let's say $18-19 Million Per year. Bottom tier of starting QB not on rookie deal money, with bonuses and stuff inflating it to look more like $22ish Mil a year. 

Back on subject...lol He could most definitely play more consistently. He needs to trust his WRs more and pull the trigger. He double clutches this year more than I've seen him do ever. He isn't sure of what he is seeing. So new offense, playing inconsistently, lack of blocking, lack of running, lack of WR play and play design all have played a factor. So those are the reasons the offense is stagnant. Can't put it all on Marcus or all on the WRs. 

Probably easier on him geographically to go from the Jets to the Bills and honestly our passing game hasn't been much better than their passing game. We're second to last in the league and they're last. Not like he's missing out on some potent aerial show by not coming here, sigh.

6 hours ago, KingTitan said:

Shhhhh or @TitanSS will hear you!  :)

I personally think Marcus will be the QB for the foresable future, unless he gets a major injury or completely self-destructs.  Or the highly unlikely scenario he wants to be the highest paid QB in the league and holds out. 
I think we will sign him to a deal that will be less than franchise, but enough to make people who aren't sure about him upset. Let's say $18-19 Million Per year. Bottom tier of starting QB not on rookie deal money, with bonuses and stuff inflating it to look more like $22ish Mil a year. 

Back on subject...lol He could most definitely play more consistently. He needs to trust his WRs more and pull the trigger. He double clutches this year more than I've seen him do ever. He isn't sure of what he is seeing. So new offense, playing inconsistently, lack of blocking, lack of running, lack of WR play and play design all have played a factor. So those are the reasons the offense is stagnant. Can't put it all on Marcus or all on the WRs. 

I heard that!

Yeah, he seems to get more hesitant each year. The Ravens game was easily more on him than the WRs and was the worst I have ever seen him play. Dunno if having 3 OCs in 4 years has something to do with it. But either way, someone has to get them the ball. Sharpe's catch rate was incredibly low when he was an outside receiver in 2016. Now Davis is our primary outside WR, Sharpe is doing much better over the middle, and Davis' catch rate is very low.

Mariota struggles throwing outside the numbers. This is nothing new to us. We've known since his rookie season that he is a guy who is much better with short/intermediate throws towards the middle of the field (which is why we need to spread the field horizontally, but for some reason we always cram all of our guys together). He has looked good with the deep ball, but most of these are play-action deep posts. Very seldom are they deep throws down the sideline. We almost never see a back-shoulder throw down the sideline from him, something most of the greats can do. Just not an area he has ever performed that well.

And IDK if I would say Sharpe is that good. He's a functional, NFL level WR. He would probably look similar on another team. Davis, with someone like Stafford who throws outside, would be on fire. Part of the reason I liked him at WR for us (and Marcus) was his ability to play all over the field, as opposed to Mike Williams who isn't going to play a lot in the slot. We've seen him move around and Mariota has much better success getting him the ball when he's not lined up outside.

With that news, it means we are officially open for business for a big trade this off-season.  You don't just lose the urge to trade an 1st overall pick for a WR. lol

Whatever position it may be, the Titans are going to be willing to part with a draft pick to get that player. 

Archived