Way too early 2019 offseason thread

RpMc

If he’s healthy, why would cutting Griffen even be considered? He’s still a very productive player, he’s one of the key leaders in the locker room, and he’s a spark plug for the defense.

And he’s a far better player than anyone that you’d sign with the money saved. 

18 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

Because you are limiting your options if you don't consider it. It is not a time to artificially limit your options.

I'd only consider it for about 5 seconds.  There are numerous other options I'd consider before considering that...with the primary example of renegotiating with Rudolph.

On 3/9/2018 at 10:14 AM, swede700 said:

Neither Cox or Johnson are going to agree to a restructure when they still have 4 and 5 years left on their deals.

It took Cox slightly longer than Johnson but both have now been restructured in less than a year since I mentioned it. I know that you aren't the only one that disagreed with the possibility but you are the one that argued the most against the possibility.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/10/09/eagles-restructure-fletcher-cox-deal-for-cap-room/

In the same post that I mentioned Johnson and Cox as places the Eagles are likely to look for cap space the third player I mentioned was Mychal Kendricks. Indeed, they moves on from him too.

I think the Vikings will think for a lot longer than five seconds about what they want to do with Everson Griffen and his contract after this year. Moving on from him would not be easy enough to not think about it long and hard. Keeping him on that contract might be just as difficult of a decision. A lot depends on what happens between now and then. As the thread title says, it is way too early. Given that, we need to be considering the whole universe of possibilities not closing our minds to possibilities. The time to narrow the universe of possibilities is much, much later.

19 hours ago, AP_allday2869 said:

So you disagreed with us paying Rhodes? He gets dinged up twice a game and is probably playing hurt now.

Waynes hasn’t displayed the ability Rhodes did while healthy. Shut down vs solid at best. 

I don’t think it’s the offensive line as much as people want to believe.

This team was 7th in rushing last year, and we’ve got 4/5 of the same linemen returning. The only real difference is that Remmers is the full time RG, and Hill at RT. But Hill started 7 games at RT last year, and the had no trouble with rushing. With Remmers at RG against the Bears, the Vikings rushed for nearly 150 yards, and 95 yards against the Saints in the playoffs. 

I’m more inclined to believe that it’s the scheme, and the way rushing plays are being drawn up that are leading to our rushing woes, more so than the players along the o-line. 

2 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

I don’t think it’s the offensive line as much as people want to believe.

This team was 7th in rushing last year, and we’ve got 4/5 of the same linemen returning. The only real difference is that Remmers is the full time RG, and Hill at RT. But Hill started 7 games at RT last year, and the had no trouble with rushing. With Remmers at RG against the Bears, the Vikings rushed for nearly 150 yards, and 95 yards against the Saints in the playoffs. 

I’m more inclined to believe that it’s the scheme, and the way rushing plays are being drawn up that are leading to our rushing woes, more so than the players along the o-line. 

I don’t agree with the 4/5  

46 minutes ago, joeybrowner47 said:

I don’t agree with the 4/5  

It is a mischaracterization IMO. Easton was better than Compton at RG. Berger was better than Remmers at LG. Remmers was a better run blocker at RT than hill is at RT.

That leaves two guys in the same positions with the other three positions downgraded. Of those two, Elflein never exactly excelled at run blocking. For the majority of the games to this point this year he didn't even play. Ideally he'll improve but coming off injury one might reasonably expect he has taken a step back owing to the lack of strength training in the offseason.

At any rate, two of the starters from last year are not playing on the team this year. That makes it hard to reconcile the 4/5 even if not taking into account positions.

That said, I don't want to let the mischaracterization water down his point too much (although mischaracterizations have a tendency to do that). Things can be done schematically to help the situation. The loss of the offensive line coach hurts.

42 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

Easton was better than Compton at RG. Berger was better than Remmers at LG. Remmers was a better run blocker at RT than hill is at RT.

You have the guards backwards, but the point is valid regarding Remmers/Berger and Remmers/Hill. Although I don’t think the difference between Hill and Remmers at RT is all that substantial.

But Compton has been much better at LG than Easton was. At least according to PFF. In 12 starts at LG, Easton’s run blocking grade was 57.0, while through 5 starts, Compton’s run blocking is graded at 70.3. Easton edges out Compton in pass blocking 64.9 to 58. But so far Compton edge out Easton in overall grade 67.6 to 57.5. 

1 minute ago, SemperFeist said:

You have the guards backwards, but the point is valid regarding Remmers/Berger and Remmers/Hill. 

But Compton has been much better at LG than Easton was. At least according to PFF. In 12 starts at LG, Easton’s run blocking grade was 57.0, while through 5 starts, Compton’s run blocking is graded at 70.3. Easton edges out Compton in pass blocking 64.9 to 58. But so far Compton edge out Easton in overall grade 67.6 to 57.5. 

Oops, you are right about having them backwards. PFFs offensive line grades often leave me scratching my head. Compton has looked better than I expected but it surprises me that they have him graded better than Easton. Maybe I am remembering Easton's run blocking too fondly. After watching him last year I have thought the best thing he brought to the table was his ability to block on screen plays. Perhaps my fondness for his blocking on screen plays unjustly is invading my memory of his run blocking. Indeed, when I think about it I remember seeing him get pushed back quite a bit.

Out of curiosity, how has Elflein'd run blocking grade compared this year to last year? I know he struggles a bit with run blocking last year so don't expect that it would have declined much but I don't really know what the grades have been. If you have the info, how about Remmers run blocking grade compared to Berger last year. I would expect that one to be glaring.

15 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Elflein has been worse so far this year, a 57.6 grade versus a 63.7 grade from last year. 

Remmers is sporting a 55.0 run grade so far this year. Berger’s was a 68.4 last year. 

I expect Elflein to improve throughout the year. The slow start isn't surprising. By the end of the year he'll hopefully be at least as good as last year.

Remmers I don't know what to think. He could improve some as he adjusts to playing guard. On the other hand, he might not improve at all. He is old enough that expectations for improvement should to be tempered somewhat.

All in all, I agree with your point about scheme having something to do with it. Good coaches would get more out of the run blocking, as is, than they have been getting. Maybe the team should bring in a consultant to help with the run game blocking. It sure would help if the defense plays better so the team isn't playing behind too.

Archived