2018-2019 NCAAB Thread

11sanchez11

8 minutes ago, 11sanchez11 said:

Idk what that means but I doubt Nike is worried. 

They issued an apology statement this morning, so they're worried about it. Nike's not looking so hot right now. Their shoe malfunctioned on the biggest stage causing a future star player to go down. And their most recent update for their $350 auto-lacing shoes is bricking them causing them not to lace up anymore. 

Nike is legitimately worth $1.4 billion dollars less today than they were yesterday.

Edited by NYRaider

16 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Nike is legitimately worth $1.4 billion dollars less today than they were yesterday.

So like if they sold the company rn they would sell it for 99 billion instead of 100 billion? What about a week from today are they gonna be back to even? I don't think Zion getting hurt is gonna be the end of Nike. I would guess that they have done a whole lot worse and survived.

5 minutes ago, 11sanchez11 said:

So like if they sold the company rn they would sell it for 99 billion instead of 100 billion? What about a week from today are they gonna be back to even? I don't think Zion getting hurt is gonna be the end of Nike. I would guess that they have done a whole lot worse and survived.

It's obviously not going to be the end of Nike but it's definitely very bad PR for the company. Nike is a publicly traded company so they can't just "sell the company." There's a reason Nike's PR team created a swift apology and is trying to do damage control. 

16 minutes ago, 11sanchez11 said:

Oh yeah they'll be fine, not a dip that will actually cause any real worry for shareholders, but a noteworthy dip nonethless that can almost solely be pinned on Zion's shoe breaking. Above all it's just a bad PR look, but I don't think anybody is going to stop buying Nike's because of 1 incident, shoes busting open would need to become a "thing" like Galaxy's exploding for that to happen.

29 minutes ago, 11sanchez11 said:

It wasn't long ago where some Americans were burning Nike products and they survived just fine.  The thing is right now the sneaker industry is blowing up.  Nike, adidas, Puma, New Balance, Under Armor, etc are all year over year making record profits with Nike (and Jordan) having a very healthy lead on adidas.... and everyone else is fighting for a very distant 3rd.  The stock dropped a bit, but it'll bounce right back and climb even higher when the next quarterly report shows a new record high.

Where it might hurt Nike is market share for basketball.  adidas made some strides into this space signing some of the top players.  Puma made a big splash into the market in 2018.  New Balance is trying to get in the game now with Kawhi.  Just coming into the league it is almost the default option to sign with Nike (or Jordan). 75% of all NBA players are signed with Nike.  But now you have some doubt as Zion may want to go with a competitor instead.  

In other news, the PG 2.5 are on sale at Nike.com (and Nike.ca).... I mean if you want exploding shoes.

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

It's obviously not going to be the end of Nike but it's definitely very bad PR for the company. Nike is a publicly traded company so they can't just "sell the company." There's a reason Nike's PR team created a swift apology and is trying to do damage control. 

My question was basically who lost out on the 1 billion dollars? My guess would be the only people who this affected would be people who sold their stock while they were down. And who would do that? So I was just asking if anyone actually loses money because of this incident? They'll be back even or up in like a week and everyone will get their billion dollars back!

2 minutes ago, 11sanchez11 said:

My question was basically who lost out on the 1 billion dollars? My guess would be the only people who this affected would be people who sold their stock while they were down. And who would do that? So I was just asking if anyone actually loses money because of this incident? They'll be back even or up in like a week and everyone will get their billion dollars back!

Their shareholders lost $1.4 billion as a collective. There's no guarantee it goes back up. 

59 minutes ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

Oh yeah they'll be fine, not a dip that will actually cause any real worry for shareholders, but a noteworthy dip nonethless that can almost solely be pinned on Zion's shoe breaking. Above all it's just a bad PR look, but I don't think anybody is going to stop buying Nike's because of 1 incident, shoes busting open would need to become a "thing" like Galaxy's exploding for that to happen.

The fact that Zion's shoes exploding can have such a big impact on Nike's overall brand image is pretty incredible. The tickets for last nights game were almost as expensive as Super Bowl tickets. Love or hate Zion, he's a phenom and will instantly make whatever NBA team drafts him relevant again.