Marcus Mariota: Is it Time ??

FutureIsWhite

27 minutes ago, deeluxx3 said:

If a team builds their O around and caters to Mariota, he could absolutely be a pro bowl QB if he stays healthy

Our O is catered to Kerry Collins.

I just don't believe this. Could he do better? Maybe. We don't know.

There's no "absolutely" that he's a pro bowl caliber QB in a more college offense. He might do better and he might not. 

That's the offense I wanted to put him in, but the Shannahan system has had success with guys like Matt Ryan and Jared Goff playing under center. I don't think there's going to be this massive jump in his play with a change in systems.

One frustrating thing about his injuries this year is that it wasa freak injury in week 1 that lead to the whole season long battle. Past years it was Hamstring, knee, ankle all due to normal football related plays(bush league maybe) but this elbow was such a freak thing on a borderline legal hit!!!

My confidence in Marcus as a player isn't really at an all time low, but I feel like we're getting to a point of no return with him in our franchise. He's had injury issues and inconsistent play there's no way around that, but our Franchise has screwed him over at every turn when it comes to his development. I think @KingTitan mentioned in another thread that our team isn't structured to build around one player, so an OC hire based solely on Marcus isn't going to really be a thing.  I understand that, but when it comes to the QB and building a team I think it's completely the wrong approach.

If you're not putting an emphasis on catering to your QB's strengths your team is always going to be limited offensively.  That phrase "no one player is bigger than the team" is a great talking point when it comes to building a good locker room culture, but everything starts and stops with your QB. That's just the reality of football in this day and age.  The way that we've handled Marcus' development makes me honestly wonder why we drafted him #2 overall in the first place. If we're not going to make our QB the focal point of our team and our offense what's the point of investing so much in him?

I'm not saying he's going to turn into Drew Brees, but I could see Marcus having a similar career trajectory. He leaves here after injury concerns/inconsistent play and gets with a coach that actually caters to him, and we'll see him really reach that next level as a player. 

What other successful QBs in the NFL, who have produced for more than just last year, had to have an offense "catered" to them? I'm seriously asking.  And I mean changing your entire offensive philosophy for one player like we're talking about here. Adding in a few things that your QB does well isn't the same thing, and we've done that. 

I mentioned multiple successful years because if we use guys like Watson/Trubisky with only one year of success, we don't really know what type of success they're going to continue to have. So many of these young QBs hit a wall. Saying one of them is a successful NFL QB would be like saying RG3 was a successful QB after his rookie year, or even Mariota after his sophomore year.

Sticking with him, if he had been put in a pro style offense he may not have had the success he had his rookie year, but it didn't matter in the long term. Are we "ruining" Mariota, or just refusing to change our entire offensive philosophy for a guy who didn't get it in the NFL?

I'm just playing devils advocate because I don't agree with the notion that we "ruined" him. I just don't think he was ever going to be as good as I once thought. I do agree that we need to pass more to sit up the run instead of the other way around, and we need to do a better job protecting the QB.

11 minutes ago, TitanSS said:

I'm just playing devils advocate because I don't agree with the notion that we "ruined" him. I just don't think he was ever going to be as good as I once thought. I do agree that we need to pass more to sit up the run instead of the other way around, and we need to do a better job protecting the QB.

ehh. i'm relatively confident that if mariota was drafted by andy reid or someone similar he'd be hitting his ceiling of a rich man's alex smith right about now.

I'm not gonna say I'm le on Mariota... I'm not... But this Lafleur move certainly has me deflated. I expected so much growth in year 2 of them working together. I know hes the consumate pro and will never say it. But I'd love to get in his head and know what he was thinking. 

Im sure we've all experienced disappointment at work... Something you were expecting didn't come through. We go drink a beer with our buds,get over it and move on to the next challenge... And that's what Mariota's gonna do, regardless of who his next OC is. 

I think the most painful thing is something that I think we can all agree on...Marcus had us all excited in 2016 before the leg injury. Whether you thought his ceiling was MVP or Pro Bowler, we all thought that we had THE GUY. Exciting player, Silent Killer, Locker room leader and a true pro on and off the field. 

And then it’s just seemed to disappear. Injuries played a part, inconsistent play played a part, lack of talent played apart, but I think the most painful is the fact that we never really let Marcus be Marcus. Which could be something special. Now, with LeFleur gone and getting robbed of their second year together, it seems that the deck is just stacked against the guy to succeed. 

Its so hard to find a franchise qb in this league and we’ve struggled desperately to replace McNair. After two failed attempts, it looks like we strike gold with Mariota, but we can’t even get out of our own way to make the most out of him. 

It’s a football sin, to be honest. Maybe it’s the happy hour light beers I drank tonight, but it’s devestating as a fan and guy who just loves this team and loves Marcus.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, -Hope- said:

ehh. i'm relatively confident that if mariota was drafted by andy reid or someone similar he'd be hitting his ceiling of a rich man's alex smith right about now.

He'd have better numbers because of the offense, but I feel like he's Alex Smith right now. 

Saw them both play on the same field twice. Never did I feel like Smith was better. Just in an offense that gets better stats. Still without a great defense, Mularkey/Mariota won both mathups, not Reid/Smith. 

20 minutes ago, TitanSS said:

He'd have better numbers because of the offense, but I feel like he's Alex Smith right now. 

Saw them both play on the same field twice. Never did I feel like Smith was better. Just in an offense that gets better stats. Still without a great defense, Mularkey/Mariota won both mathups, not Reid/Smith. 

i don’t know if he’s even alex smith right now, but when i say a rich man’s alex smith i mean a markedly better version of what smith was at his peak.

7 hours ago, ragevsuall17 said:

Markedly better than 4k/68%/26:5/104.7/midseason MVP favorite ?

So 4.7k/70%/33:5/110.0/NFL MVP?

i mean...yeah. look at mahomes' numbers right now. mariota doesn't have his physical talent and there's no way he'd be reaching 50 TDs but i honestly do think if he had spent his whole career in andy reid's offense he'd be putting up numbers somewhere between prime alex smith and what mahomes is doing right now. it's a total hypothetical so it doesn't mean much, but mariota has a really great skillset that we've managed to pretty much blow.

16 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

i mean...yeah. look at mahomes' numbers right now. mariota doesn't have his physical talent and there's no way he'd be reaching 50 TDs but i honestly do think if he had spent his whole career in andy reid's offense he'd be putting up numbers somewhere between prime alex smith and what mahomes is doing right now. it's a total hypothetical so it doesn't mean much, but mariota has a really great skillset that we've managed to pretty much blow.

Yeah, I absolutely do not feel that way. To me the Chiefs would look similar with Mariota as they did with Smith. I honestly don't think he'd ever have a year as statistically good as Smith's last year there.

Difference in opinion is all.

• Like 1

Whatever happens we need to roll back to our 2016 approach. There MUST be a premium put on protecting Marcus. If that forces us to put more capital than we planned in to the o-line then so be it. Whether it be replacing Kline who would be getting paid over 6 mil to sit on the bench or investing draft capital in to the o-line that wasn’t in Robinson’s plan...it has to be done. We saw what Marcus can do if we keep him upright. If we protect him and bring in an OC that fits his skill set I know he can have a year similar to or better than 2016. But even if our new OC doesn’t mold his offense to Mariota’s strengths, 2016 is still evidence that he can have a good year. But it all hinges on the o-line protecting him. Interior o-line is our #1 need, not a pass rusher/d-line. It’s a QB driven league and our QB can’t drive if he keeps getting crashed in to. (Yes I know a good chunk of the sacks this year were on Marcus but we still have improve where it wasn’t his fault).

An upgraded interior o-line also helps Henry who showed us what he is capable of down the stretch even when the interior o-line was playing poorly. Marcus was at his best when DeMarco was dominating and Henry has shown the ability to not only dominate, but win an entire game by himself. We also help Derrick if we improve the interior o-line which in turn helps Marcus.

Protection and a dominant run game is going to help Marcus succeed and if we give him that, then it’s squarely on him to learn whatever new system he’s in and execute it. We have to do whatever it takes to fix the o-line. Marcus can have a good 2019 season, but we have to take the 2016 approach.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TitanSS said:

Yeah, I absolutely do not feel that way. To me the Chiefs would look similar with Mariota as they did with Smith. I honestly don't think he'd ever have a year as statistically good as Smith's last year there.

Difference in opinion is all.

yeah, it's absolutely not a definitive take, just an unfounded belief i have, lol.