Week 7: Dallas Week GDT!

Ghostnote

5 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Yes. For $90M I expected him to play somewhat well in just about any weather condition. The fact remains is we have not even remotely got anything close back to what we should have on this investment. 

So we’re at a point now where Smith not turning the ball over is worth everything that was given up for him? The fact that we literally have no chance whatsoever to come back from almost any deficit doesn’t matter apparently. You don’t give up Fuller, a third round pick and a boat load of money to be one of the worst passing teams in the league. Sugarcoating what’s going on by saying him not turning the ball over led us to victory is hilarious. He basically committed a turnover by running out of bounds. That’s not a veteran play. Neither was the god awful pass to a wide open Maurice Harris against the Saints. Or the inexplicable poor toss to Sprinkle. 

To put it plainly, Smith has sucked this year. We’ve scored like one offensive TD in the second half all year and it was garbage time. Defending what we’ve seen because he doesn’t turn the ball over is just crap. He’s sucked and he needs to step his game up or he needs to be replaced. 

Not only that, but he absolutely needs the running game to be good or he will not play well. Some other good but not elite QBs have been working without a running game for years and putting the offense on their backs. Smith? Nuh uh. We aren't getting that from our $90M man. And for that money, I expect better results. Not excuses. 

1 minute ago, Thaiphoon said:

Not only that, but he absolutely needs the running game to be good or he will not play well. Some other good but not elite QBs have been working without a running game for years and putting the offense on their backs. Smith? Nuh uh. We aren't getting that from our $90M man. And for that money, I expect better results. Not excuses. 

Uuuuhhhh, think I've heard excuses for Cousins last year. No running game, no wideouts . Reed was hurt blah blah blah ..

9 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

Uuuuhhhh, think I've heard excuses for Cousins last year. No running game, no wideouts . Reed was hurt blah blah blah ..

And yet...the offense moved with him, didn't it? No running game? Still moved the ball. No Reed, still moved the ball. Top receivers were Pryor and Dox? Still moved the ball. And missed CT for half a season. Still moved the ball. OL was in shambles and we were playing guys we just signed that Tuesday. Still moved the ball.

Now what? We have a running game. And our QB can't move the ball unless its really cranking. Our WR's are much better. Reed is healthy. OL is healthy. Still can't move the ball. We have next to zero chance to win close games unless we get great games from our Defense and running game. And we paid $90M for that? Yeah, color me unimpressed.

28 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

Just to counter this, Alex has never been on an offense that didn’t have a good staple of running backs.

Perhaps if he didn’t have a good to great RBs, he wouldn’t put up over 4,000 yds and 25 plus TDs but I don’t know how we can definitely know the answer to that if it’s never happened before.

We could’ve seen what would’ve happened this year if we hadn’t signed AD but they did, so we didn’t get an answer.

My guess is that if we didn’t have AD was our lead back and instead, Perine was our lead back that Smith would have more yards and a few more TDs, but we would’ve lost another game, maybe 2 more bc we wouldn’t have a threat on the ground.

1 minute ago, turtle28 said:

Just to counter this, Alex has never been on an offense that didn’t have a good staple of running backs.

Perhaps if he didn’t have a good to greatness RB, he wouldn’t put up over 4,000 yds and 25 plus TDs but I don’t know how we can definitely know the answer to that if it’s never happened before.

We could’ve seen what would’ve happened this year if we hadn’t signed AD but they did, so we didn’t get an answer.

Seriously? 

5 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

And yet...the offense moved with him, didn't it? No running game? Still moved the ball. No Reed, still moved the ball. Top receivers were Pryor and Dox? Still moved the ball. And missed CT for half a season. Still moved the ball. OL was in shambles and we were playing guys we just signed that Tuesday. Still moved the ball.

Now what? We have a running game. And our QB can't move the ball unless its really cranking. Our WR's are much better. Reed is healthy. OL is healthy. Still can't move the ball. We have next to zero chance to win close games unless we get great games from our Defense and running game. And we paid $90M for that? Yeah, color me unimpressed.

To follow up. Without our defense playing well, we lose the Cowgirls game. Our offense is allergic to moving the ball and scoring points. Especially in the 2nd half.

5 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

Now what? We have a running game. And our QB can't move the ball unless its really cranking. Our WR's are much better. Reed is healthy. OL is healthy. Still can't move the ball. We have next to zero chance to win close games unless we get great games from our Defense and running game. And we paid $990M for that? Yeah, color me unimpressed.

7-9, loser

15 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

And we've already gone over why you don't judge QB's by the W/L record (which is a team stat).

Sunday was THE prime example why.

Yep, that game we lost 19-10 Jan 1, 2017 to the Giants where K C threw two liller interceptions . Team loss for sure. I get it :ph34r:

19 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

Yep, that game we lost 19-10 Jan 1, 2017 to the Giants where K C threw two liller interceptions . Team loss for sure. I get it :ph34r:

Or the game on Thanksgiving (Thursday Nov 24, 2016) where he went and threw for 449yards and 3TDs with  120.7rtg and we still lost. Why? Because the defense couldn't stop my mother that day.

Yes. You do NOT judge QBs by W/L record. You DO judge them by their individual performances.

YOUR example was one of him playing badly. And he should be judged and criticized for that game.

Mine was one of him playing well.

Both were losses. If we went by YOUR logic, that Cowgirls game should've been a win.

It wasn't.

Why?

Because we had no defense and no running game.

Alex sucked on Sunday. We won the game. Why? Because our running game and defense came to play. He gets credit for a W and Kirk gets the L on that Thanksgiving day. Otherwise, you'd have to say Tim Tebow is a better QB than Alex since he's QB'ed a team further in the playoffs.

Again, its why you do not go by W/L when judging a QB. You go by how they actually Performed.In.The.Game

Or...let's look at the Detroit game that same year.

Took them down (13-10) and scored a rushing TD (his) to go ahead 17-13 with 1:05 left on the clock. Defense lets the Lions march down the field and win the game.

Kirk was 30/39 for 301yds, 2TD (1 rushing) and a 106.9rtg

That went down as a L. 

And you want to say that loss should count against him as a QB? That's ridiculous.

Say it with me...

Wins and Losses are a TEAM stat.

Judge the QB's by how they played in the game. W/L go on the coach's stat sheet since they are in control of the entire team.

2 hours ago, RSkinGM said:

And?  How about half the OL was hurt for 2/3rds of the season.  You can't compare Cousins performances, last year or otherwise, to what we have seen from Smith the first 6 games, that is just wrong.  Gruden's only positive comment is he doesn't turn the ball over.  Sure he does not, he overthrows everyone including the D.

Archived