Week 7: Dallas Week GDT!

Ghostnote

So apparently Ben Kotwica was watching the long snapper warm up and noticed his little tick. He alerted Gruden who alerted the officials to watch for it in the game per Ed Werder.

Kotwica just earned his contract guaranteed in my book.

11 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

So apparently Ben Kotwica was watching the long snapper warm up and noticed his little tick. He alerted Gruden who alerted the officials to watch for it in the game per Ed Werder.

Wow. That's pretty impressive if true.

1 hour ago, MikeT14 said:

Better than seeing him relieve himself on the sidelines in the Detroit game from a few years which was his claim to fame before this.

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

In case you were wondering if the wind affected passing in yesterday’s Dallas vs Redskins game.

Didn’t affect Dak finally throwing over 200 yards yesterday lol

You sound like Jay Gruden and the Bucs game last year. 

What else do you have?

13 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

Didn’t affect Dak finally throwing over 200 yards yesterday lol

You sound like Jay Gruden and the Bucs game last year. 

What else do you have?

Affected him overthrowing a handful of WRs in the second half and if he had hit them, they would’ve won.

11 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

Didn't affect Wentz throwing for 2TDs and over 300yds either

Wentz is super human I’m convinced. I’ve never seen a QB come back from an ACL tear and play like he never had reconstructive knee surgery.

I thought he would struggle for 1/2 the year at least, I was totally wrong!

32 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Wentz is super human I’m convinced. I’ve never seen a QB come back from an ACL tear and play like he never had reconstructive knee surgery.

I thought he would struggle for 1/2 the year at least, I was totally wrong!

Tom Brady?

On 10/21/2018 at 8:45 PM, lavar703 said:

You are just going to double down on this Smith thing huh? 

Kinda depends what you mean by “this Smith thing.”

If you mean what I’ve said all along about how he, like his fellow good but not elite QBs, will generally perform/produce to the level of the team and players you put him around him — then yes, I’ll double down on that. 

If you mean what I’ve said all along about how his style of play, ball control and minimizing turnovers and managing the run game well and winning field position, is more conducive to winning than many of his fellow good but not elite QBs who are more volatile — then yes, I’ll double down on that too. 

He didn’t play very well on Sunday. Said that already. My question is: did you really expect him to? In blustery cold weather that caused major issues for lots of QBs who played in it? With his top two WRs and elite pass-catching back on the shelf, leaving him with Jordan Reed and...Kapri Bibbs? Vernon Davis? A quartet of slow, hulking, terrible-for-Alex-Smith WR5s? Against a defense that’s 3rd in yds/gm and 2nd in yds/gm? That just added Sean Lee, David Irving, and Randy Gregory back to that mix?

No, he didn’t play well. No, I didn’t expect him to. No, you shouldn’t have either. No, he’s not a Tom Brady or Aaron Rodgers type who can play great under any circumstances. Yes, we did still win. Yes, it was largely because he managed field position well and didn’t turn the ball over to give the opposition free or easy points — which his opposing QB (who you probably think played better) did, and cost his team the game by doing so.  

2 minutes ago, e16bball said:

If you mean what I’ve said all along about how his style of play, ball control and minimizing turnovers and managing the run game well and winning field position, is more conducive to winning than many of his fellow good but not elite QBs who are more volatile — then yes, I’ll double down on that too. 

No, he didn’t play well. No, I didn’t expect him to. No, you shouldn’t have either. No, he’s not a Tom Brady or Aaron Rodgers type who can play great under any circumstances. Yes, we did still win. Yes, it was largely because he managed field position well and didn’t turn the ball over to give the opposition free or easy points — which his opposing QB (who you probably think played better) did, and cost his team the game by doing so.  

Excellent post.  To echo this:

This was the reason I was most excited for Smith.  It amazes me that people still underrate turnover differential so much, when it has been proven over and over again as a (maybe the) key determinant in wins and losses. 

Field position is also a big reason our defense is in the top 5 in so many categories.

1 hour ago, HTTRG3Dynasty said:

Excellent post.  To echo this:

This was the reason I was most excited for Smith.  It amazes me that people still underrate turnover differential so much, when it has been proven over and over again as a (maybe the) key determinant in wins and losses. 

Field position is also a big reason our defense is in the top 5 in so many categories.

So true, heck we won games in 07-08 before the entire team got hurt in 09 just bc we ran the ball played good D and Campbell didn’t turn the ball over.

2 hours ago, e16bball said:

Kinda depends what you mean by “this Smith thing.”

If you mean what I’ve said all along about how he, like his fellow good but not elite QBs, will generally perform/produce to the level of the team and players you put him around him — then yes, I’ll double down on that. 

He didn’t play very well on Sunday. Said that already. My question is: did you really expect him to? In blustery cold weather that caused major issues for lots of QBs who played in it? With his top two WRs and elite pass-catching back on the shelf, leaving him with Jordan Reed and...Kapri Bibbs? Vernon Davis? A quartet of slow, hulking, terrible-for-Alex-Smith WR5s? Against a defense that’s 3rd in yds/gm and 2nd in yds/gm? That just added Sean Lee, David Irving, and Randy Gregory back to that mix?

Yes. For $90M I expected him to play somewhat well in just about any weather condition. The fact remains is we have not even remotely got anything close back to what we should have on this investment. 

So we’re at a point now where Smith not turning the ball over is worth everything that was given up for him? The fact that we literally have no chance whatsoever to come back from almost any deficit doesn’t matter apparently. You don’t give up Fuller, a third round pick and a boat load of money to be one of the worst passing teams in the league. Sugarcoating what’s going on by saying him not turning the ball over led us to victory is hilarious. He basically committed a turnover by running out of bounds. That’s not a veteran play. Neither was the god awful pass to a wide open Maurice Harris against the Saints. Or the inexplicable poor toss to Sprinkle. 

To put it plainly, Smith has sucked this year. We’ve scored like one offensive TD in the second half all year and it was garbage time. Defending what we’ve seen because he doesn’t turn the ball over is just crap. He’s sucked and he needs to step his game up or he needs to be replaced. 

Archived