Buying a House

RavensTillIDie

19 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

.....the explanation that he's simultaneously expecting an imminent market crash and doesn't want to sell the stocks he has makes no sense.

It makes perfect sense because if I sell it all then I have no income.

1 hour ago, bigjohnson2009 said:

The more you post the more you tell on yourself that you have no idea what you're saying or doing.

Just out of curiosity, I followed the youtube screen grab he posted and got this:

So this is presented by ClarityFinancial. What are they about?

https://myclarityfinancial.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/Clarity_Investment_Rules.pdf

THE 12/7 STRATEGY Clarity’s 12 Investment Rules:

1). Cut losers short. Let winners run. Reduce underperforming positions or remove from portfolios on rallies.
2). Investments without goals are arbitrary which increases portfolio risk. Set benchmarks you seek to achieve.
3). Emotional biases are not part of the investment management process.
4). Follow the trend. 80% of portfolio performance is determined by the underlying trend.
5). Don’t let profits turn into losses.
6). Odds of success greatly improve when the fundamentals are confirmed by the technicals.
7). Avoid adding to losing positions. This is called “averaging down” and it rarely is effective.
8). Remain neutral or long in bull markets. In bear markets increase cash.
9). When markets or portfolio positions are trading at extreme deviations from long term trends, do the opposite of “the herd.”
10). “Buy” and “sell” signals are useful only if action is taken.
11). A goal of portfolio management is to achieve a 70% success rate. Consistency wins the long game.
12). Manage risk and volatility, not returns.

Clarity’s 7 Financial Planning Rules:
1). Take a holistic approach. Proper planning integrates all assets, liabilities and sources of income.
2). Don’t discount Social Security strategies. Take steps to maximize earned benefits. Coordinate Social Security withdrawals with those of other accounts to minimize the impact of taxes.
3). Healthcare costs including Medicare, and senior housing options must be included in the planning process.
4). Successful plans are grounded in financial self-awareness which includes prioritizing needs and wants.
5). Conversations with loved ones and friends about aspects of your financial plan are important. Make sure your estate, gifting and future housing intentions are clearly communicated. Let your Clarity Team facilitate the discussions.
6). Don’t Get Fooled By Averages. The financial markets do not return 8% a year. A realistic financial plan includes variability in returns, including losses, over time.
7). Accountability Matters. A financial plan not followed is not a financial plan at all. Long term financial goals need to be broken down into monthly objectives and you and your advisor are accountable in meeting those objectives. (It is easier to achieve a savings goal of $500/month versus $6000/year).

Equal parts self-help book financial buzzword bingo, overly conservative buy low sell high idiocy, and it can't even go 12 rules without contradicting itself (e.g. Rule 12 directly contradicts Rules 1, 5, and 7).

15 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Equal parts self-help book financial buzzword bingo, overly conservative buy low sell high idiocy, and it can't even go 12 rules without contradicting itself (e.g. Rule 12 directly contradicts Rules 1, 5, and 7).

All of that is irrelevant because you failed to prove the graph that I posted  is fake history.

On 10/20/2018 at 11:20 AM, Forge said:

If it's literally across the street from your home, it could adversely affect the value of your home, but it really can depend on what your market will tolerate. I'm not an appraiser, just have to look at them all day, and I can tell you that I have seen negative adjustments on properties for these things. When you're directly across the street / adjacent to something like commercial properties, schools, rail road tracks, located on well traveled thoroughfares, the appraiser will negatively adjust the subject, usually under the "view" row or "location" row. Most of the time, a property's view will be "N; Res", or neutral residential. After that, you could have differences such as "A; commercial" or "A; apartments" or "A; school". These are typically negative adjustments that decrease the value of the property. You also could have "B; Lake", "B; Woods", etc, which are beneficial locations that increase the subject property value against other similar homes. 

If the road you are on becomes well traveled due to the school, this can also lead to a negative adjustment. This is typically under the location row, and will show something such as "A; busyroad" as opposed to "N; res" similar to the view row. 

So being in such close proximity to the school could detrimentally impact the value of the property, though this is not guaranteed. It depends a lot on the market if this is a big deal, whether there is sufficient data, what the actual location is (IE, are you being hyperbolic when you say that it's across the street and it's really across the street at the other corner of the block or something) 

Now, if it's one of the best schools in the state or something, and it's something that makes the area highly desirable, it also could increase the value of the property in that school district as a whole through supply and demand, but that would affect your immediate market as a whole while your proximate location to the school could adversely affect the value of your home on an individual basis. 

Appreciate that feedback.

I’ll have to do some research down the road. Not gonna be anytime soon and right now are just excited we’ll be able to let our kids walk across the street to school whenever that time comes. I swear 75% of the people in our Culdesac cluster have school aged kids, I know my neighbors on either side are really stoked about it. 

Not sure any of that helps with my property value, but for where we’re at right now the districts best elementary school moving across the street feels real nice.

1 minute ago, MWil23 said:

I'm hitting the Powerball tonight and buying my dream house in cash, with interest, in exactly 1 year without digging into the principal. This scheme is foolproof. Prove me wrong.

I'm furiously screengrabbing every bit of financial advice I have given you in preparation for the upcoming lawsuit.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MWil23 said:

I'm hitting the Powerball tonight and buying my dream house in cash, with interest, in exactly 1 year without digging into the principal. This scheme is foolproof. Prove me wrong.

I wrote my name on the Powerball pool envelope at work without actually putting any tickets in. 

Huge flaw by whoever is running that thing, but not my problem tbh 

1 minute ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I'm furiously screengrabbing every bit of financial advice I have given you in preparation for the upcoming lawsuit.

Huge flaw in your system that I've now foreseen exactly 10 months ahead of time:

Ohio allows you to declare your winnings ANONYMOUSLY.

Dude, I'm ghosting everything and everyone.

11 minutes ago, TVScout said:

All of that is irrelevant because you failed to prove the graph that I posted  is fake history.

139092366_ce5b410228_o.jpg

Correlation =/= causation, and that burden of proof is on you. Or the snakeoil salesman who are trying to scare morons into buying overly conservative investments they can manage and over-rebalance.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

139092366_ce5b410228_o.jpg

Correlation =/= causation, and that burden of proof is on you. Or the snakeoil salesman who are trying to scare morons into buying overly conservative investments they can manage and over-rebalance.

ahhhhh! YES!!! I used this graphic TWO DAYS AGO in class with my kids who used faulty inductive reasoning and irrelevant statistics on their midterms! Let's gooo!!!!!!

• Like 1