2017 Special Teams Watch

vike daddy

3 minutes ago, perrynoid said:

I think people still have the tendency to think extra points are pretty much "automatic" even though the distance is now much greater.  Wasn't that the point?  Meaning, by moving them back they are now not automatic and thus more drama is introduced into what was a "boring" play?

Extra points from the 2 yard line had a 99% success rate. When the NFL moved it back, kickers had a 96% success rate from 30-35 yards out. So, while the move was supposed to make things a little tougher, it wasn’t expected to be a major shift. 

And the Vikings are kicking extra points at a 75% rate since the rule change, by far the worst in the league. 

This issue goes beyond the “fans just need to adjust their perception” argument. 

3 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

Extra points from the 2 yard line had a 99% success rate. When the NFL moved it back, kickers had a 96% success rate from 30-35 yards out. So, while the move was supposed to make things a little tougher, it wasn’t expected to be a major shift. 

And the Vikings are kicking extra points at a 75% rate since the rule change, by far the worst in the league. 

This issue goes beyond the “fans just need to adjust their perception” argument. 

What surprises me is how many extra point kicks have been missed.  Wasn't the NFL's motivation (at least in part) in allowing the 2 pt conversions the chance it offers teams down by 8 points to tie the game?  Those discussions were a while back, and thus a little foggy to me now.

19 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

where's he rank league wide in percentage made from 50+? 40+?

He's 9-9 beyond 40 yards. Only perfect kicker with as many attempts is Zuerlein at 10-10. Kai is only kicker perfect with 5 attempts over 50 yards.

15 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

thank you, that's my point.

where's he rank league wide in percentage made from 50+? 40+?

Thus, I propose a new scoring system of the following for kickers: multiply the points scored by the length of the kick, and add the total.  This method would weight the kicking distance and also the "value" of the kick, since FG's are worth 3 times as much as an extra point.  So, a kicker who kicked 3 FG's of 50 yard each would be rated higher than one who scored 3 kicks from 20 yards out.

P.S. I am currently too lazy to actually go ahead and use my own system lol, I will leave that to others, at least for the time being.

4 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

i have long felt the SCORING system of kicks should be changed. why is a field goal of 55 yards worth as many points as a chip shot?

stagger the scoring from 1 to 4 points.

I would rather keep it the same until 55 yards out. 55+yarders are worth 4 points. The rest are 3.

Or go by fantasy football rules:

18-39 yards out: 3 point

40-49 yards out: 4 points

50+: 5 points

6 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

i have long felt the SCORING system of kicks should be changed. why is a field goal of 55 yards worth as many points as a chip shot?

stagger the scoring from 1 to 4 points.

I've always thought that 50+ yd kicks should be worth 4.  

4 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

why should a 20 yard field goal be worth three, when a 33 yard extra point is worth one...?

Distance can't be the only criteria for point allotment.

The circumstances for those points must be considered as well.

Other things to consider:

Why does the clock always stop for extra points but not always for field goals? Why is it that when a team blocks a kick and return it to the opposing endzone on field goal try its considered a touchdown, but on an extra point try its only worth 2 points?

9 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

I still don't understand the move in the first place. The XP hasn't become anymore exciting and the success rate only dropped 3% pts.

are two pt attempts up? Was that the ultimate goal?

Archived