Would you rather have peak Moss or peak Rice for s

Bolts223

Peak Moss or Peak Rice?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Would you rather have Peak Randy Moss or Peak Jerry Rice on your team for one season?

• Randy Moss
    • Jerry Rice

Rice. Substance > flash

Moss was a hell of a WR, but this one is easy for me. Look at how uncoverable Antonio Brown has been. Imagine a rich man's Antonio Brown, and you have Jerry Rice. Could win on every route at every level.

Moss. Rice was the GOAT receiver. But Moss on his best day could do things Jerry couldn't and really nobody else at the position could. It's like this, there's all the other TE's and then there's Gronk who is just a freak. There's all the other RB's and then there's Brown who was a freak. There's all the other linebackers and then there's Taylor who was a freak. That's the category Moss is. 

I'd rather build a team around Rice. But we saw what Moss did for a team for a single season

1 hour ago, lancerman said:

Moss. Rice was the GOAT receiver. But Moss on his best day could do things Jerry couldn't and really nobody else at the position could. It's like this, there's all the other TE's and then there's Gronk who is just a freak. There's all the other RB's and then there's Brown who was a freak. There's all the other linebackers and then there's Taylor who was a freak. That's the category Moss is. 

I'd rather build a team around Rice. But we saw what Moss did for a team for a single season

Who cares if Moss could do things Jerry couldn't? Vick could do things Brady couldn't. Nobody in their right mind would take Vick over Brady. Unfortunately, PFR's target data doesn't go back very far. However, it does cover the end of Rice's prime. Here's what it shows for arguably Rice's best three-year period of his career (1993 to 1995):

48 games

480 targets

332 receptions

69.2% catch rate

4850 receiving yards

10.2 YPT

14.6 YPC

43 receiving TDs

47 total TDs

Per 16 games:

111 receptions

1617 receiving yards

14 receiving TDs

16 total TDs

Moss never had a three-year period that even approached that. Rice played his entire career in a NFL that didn't have the favorable illegal contact rule change from 2004. Rice averaged a catch rate of over 69% during those three years. Moss never produced a catch rate above 64.5%. Moss only produced catch rates of 60+% in 3 of his 15 years in the NFL. Rice produced a catch rate of 60+% at 39 and 40 years old while posting 1000 yard seasons. Rice posted a catch rate of 74.2% in 1994 while catching 112 passes. Rice posted a catch rate of 70.6% in 1996 while catching 108 passes. Rice posted a catch rate of 69.3% in 1995 while catching 122 passes. Rice did that at ages 32, 33, and 34. At age 33, Randy Moss was washed up.

Rice was insanely productive and insanely efficient. I don't care if Moss could do things Rice couldn't. Rice was a guy capable of catching 110+ passes at a catch rate of 74%. Moss couldn't even average a catch rate of 60% over his three full seasons with Tom Brady. Rice was consistently unstoppable. You take your sizzle. I'll take my steak. This really reminds me of the Antonio Brown debates from 2014 and 2015. Despite Brown obviously being the most productive and consistent WR in football, some people still wouldn't call him the best WR because he wasn't flashy enough. He wasn't 6'3+" with 4.3 speed and the ability to leap through the roof. Frankly, it also makes me think of Rodgers vs. Brady. People love the flashy plays from Rodgers, but if I had to choose which QB I'd rather have for a season, it's Brady. Give me the methodical, consistent machine over the fun, flashy playmaker.

I think a lot of people forget what a peak Moss looked like on an average team. Go back and look at what the Raiders got out of him. They couldn't get squat out of him.

Nobody will ever be able to say what those Raider teams could have gotten out of a prime Jerry Rice. But my guess is they would have managed to get more. Because Rice's game was just more multifaceted. I think almost every team would benefit more from a Rice type WR than a Moss type WR. I think Moss is an "icing on the cake" kind of WR. He goes to a good offense and makes it amazing. But if he goes to an average/below average offense he doesn't do much to elevate it. I think Rice does.

Of course, I don't have any proof. Rice has never really gone to an average/below average offense. I am just going off of play style.

Athletically, Rice relative to his peers in the 80s was damn near what Moss was in his Minnesota years. The revisionist historians have made it out like he was some kind of overachieving technician. It's pretty funny to those who remember how he was originally the "freak athlete" of the NFL's wide receivers. A 6'2" receiver who reportedly ran 4.4 in the 40 (a 40 time which was revised over and over again by revisionist historians to the point of hilarious absurdity...in another 10, 20 years, they'll be claiming he ran 5.0) and was sensational at high-pointing the ball. Before getting "Moss'd," corners got "Rice'd" by Rice just skying over them, Michael Jordan style, and pulling it down. 

Only you add in strength, balance, and determination after the catch, meaning he was a literal threat to score from anywhere on the field. He was lethal deep and he was lethal short and intermediate.

Sure, Moss could take a quick hitch to the house in addition to being lethal deep, but he wasn't about to bounce off 2-3 DBs and take it 80 yards.

Archived