2019 Draft - Edge Rushers

Forge

9 minutes ago, BrownLeader said:

He's a lot closer to a 34 end than a 34 OLB.

He was listed at 262 on the Louisiana Tech roster, and came in at that to the Senior Bowl.  In what world is 262 closer to 34 DE than 34 OLB?  34 OLB don't play in that 230 range.  At least not the every down OLBs.

3 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

He was listed at 262 on the Louisiana Tech roster, and came in at that to the Senior Bowl.  In what world is 262 closer to 34 DE than 34 OLB?  34 OLB don't play in that 230 range.  At least not the every down OLBs.

Because he's awful in space. The best part of his game is flashing power and quickness.

19 minutes ago, BrownLeader said:

Because he's awful in space. The best part of his game is flashing power and quickness.

So...the solution is to have him try and hold up against double teams against 300+ pound OL?  Saying he's going to get manhandled would be an understatement.

14 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

So...the solution is to have him try and hold up against double teams against 300+ pound OL?  Saying he's going to get manhandled would be an understatement.

Agree. But he's not getting any better in space. At least inside he could bulk up and add strength.

1 minute ago, BrownLeader said:

Agree. But he's not getting any better in space. At least inside he could bulk up and add strength.

So...the solution is to see if he can put on enough weight to hold up against OL as a 5T?  I'm going to save you the time, but dig into Datone Jones.  The Packers made that same opinion, and he ended up being a positional tweener.

2 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

So...the solution is to see if he can put on enough weight to hold up against OL as a 5T?  I'm going to save you the time, but dig into Datone Jones.  The Packers made that same opinion, and he ended up being a positional tweener.

Tbh, I don't think there's a solution. I think he's a 43 DE but he's going to struggle. 

I'm just answering the question about him playing OLB. 

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

I think the actual solution is probably...if you're a 3-4 team, you just don't value a guy like Ferguson quite as highly because he's going to be an awkward "tweener" fit in that sort of scheme.  Just like the "solution" for a guy like Jachai Polite on the other end of things is probably going to be for 4-3 teams to value him a little less than the natural fit 3-4 teams.

Just now, Tugboat said:

I think the actual solution is probably...if you're a 3-4 team, you just don't value a guy like Ferguson quite as highly because he's going to be an awkward "tweener" fit in that sort of scheme.  Just like the "solution" for a guy like Jachai Polite on the other end of things is probably going to be for 4-3 teams to value him a little less than the natural fit 3-4 teams.

I don't think Ferguson is even that bad of a fit for a lot of 3-4 teams. A lot of 3-4 teams have WOLBs who rarely drop into coverage. If the guy can get after the passer well enough, nobody cares.

1 minute ago, jrry32 said:

I don't think Ferguson is even that bad of a fit for a lot of 3-4 teams. A lot of 3-4 teams have WOLBs who rarely drop into coverage. If the guy can get after the passer well enough, nobody cares.

I'm sure they'd find a role for him...one way or the other, for 3-4 teams.  But it doesn't seem like he's going to have quite the same sort of "upside" in that scheme.  Just like 4-3 teams would surely find a way to get a guy like Polite on the field and generating some sacks...but the fit questions probably sway value enough that they go a different direction if it's close enough with someone else who fits better.

Seems more likely to be the sort of question that pops up somewhere down the line well after the draft, when they end up stuck on a team that makes a major scheme change or something.

3 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

I'm sure they'd find a role for him...one way or the other, for 3-4 teams.  But it doesn't seem like he's going to have quite the same sort of "upside" in that scheme.  Just like 4-3 teams would surely find a way to get a guy like Polite on the field and generating some sacks...but the fit questions probably sway value enough that they go a different direction if it's close enough with someone else who fits better.

Seems more likely to be the sort of question that pops up somewhere down the line well after the draft, when they end up stuck on a team that makes a major scheme change or something.

If teams project him as a #1 pass rusher, I think he'll be plenty of valuable. Coverage ability just won't be important.

4 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

If teams project him as a #1 pass rusher, I think he'll be plenty of valuable. Coverage ability just won't be important.

It's more than just coverage ability though.  It's about the way they generate pressure and the type of pressure they're best at generating.

Especially in a class as absolutely loaded with DL/Edge talent as this one.  That's where i think teams will be able to get a little choosier and pick the "flavor" of pass rusher that fits their needs best.

2 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

It's more than just coverage ability though.  It's about the way they generate pressure and the type of pressure they're best at generating.

Especially in a class as absolutely loaded with DL/Edge talent as this one.  That's where i think teams will be able to get a little choosier and pick the "flavor" of pass rusher that fits their needs best.

I don't see an issue there for Ferguson in a 3-4. My issues with Ferguson are more related to his run defense. But he can rush the passer on the EDGE in the 3-4. It's not like Anthony Nelson imo.