2019 Draft - Edge Rushers

Forge

1 hour ago, BleedTheClock said:

Why not?

I think of him in the Steeler OLB frame so my projections are of him as a 3-4 OLB.

He is hot and cold in his pass rush. For every play that makes me like him he will have 2 that I do not.  He has not really progressed as a player since his freshman year.   If he loses some weight perhaps he could move better.  I think he would be a day 3 pick that is a low floor mid ceiling type player.  I really think he is a project that I would not draft before the 5th round.

46 minutes ago, jebrick said:

He has not really progressed as a player since his freshman year.  

He has a lot in the run game, but hasn't progressed as a dominant pass rusher like he could have. The potential is still very high with him IMO and I think he turns out to be one of the best 10 players from this draft class.

14 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

He has a lot in the run game, but hasn't progressed as a dominant pass rusher like he could have. The potential is still very high with him IMO and I think he turns out to be one of the best 10 players from this draft class.

You just think his ceiling is higher.  So a low floor high ceiling player.  Still says day 3

I would rather have Justin Hollins as a project.

Edited by jebrick

On 23/02/2019 at 11:29 PM, jrry32 said:

5. Oshane Ximines - I didn't see a standout trait. I evaluate players by looking for something that makes them special. I didn't see that with Ximines.

Yeah.  I haven't really been able to see it with Ximines.  Just nothing that really jumps out to me about him.  It feels like at least part of the "hype" on him is like...draft hipsterism almost.  Trying to find that special "small school gem".  Like he's attributed this great unrealized potential just because he's coming out of a smaller school.  Where i just see a guy who is actually pretty "is what he is" developed, and lacking a real standout trait.

On 24/02/2019 at 6:58 AM, goldfishwars said:

LJ Collier looks like a Patriots defensive end. Stout and competitive off the edge, little juice or bend - but tough, plays the run and sets the edge and could slide inside if you wanted. Tre Flowers looks likely to sign a bigger contract elsewhere, which opens to the door for picks to be spent on the likes of Collier whose game is likely to attract more early day three attention than day 1 or 2. 

Watching Collier, for some reason i kept wanting to compare him to like...a smaller, poor man's Calais Campbell.  He's not going to zip around and beat a lot of guys bending around, but there's a lot to like in that sort of "Tre Flowers" type role as a big powerful edge setting end who will find a way to make some plays in the backfield with power and relentlessness.

The thing i can't figure out with him though, is why on earth he's so chronically late off the snap.  Not even talking a lackluster first step, which is also true (though not fatal for that type of player).  Just...completely delayed reaction like he's not registering when the ball is snapped.  If you can coach that aspect out of him, there's a lot to like.  But it's such a weird thing to show up so consistently on his tape.  It makes me wonder what's going on.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

Yeah.  I haven't really been able to see it with Ximines.  Just nothing that really jumps out to me about him.  It feels like at least part of the "hype" on him is like...draft hipsterism almost.  Trying to find that special "small school gem".  Like he's attributed this great unrealized potential just because he's coming out of a smaller school.  Where i just see a guy who is actually pretty "is what he is" developed, and lacking a real standout trait.

Watching Collier, for some reason i kept wanting to compare him to like...a smaller, poor man's Calais Campbell.  He's not going to zip around and beat a lot of guys bending around, but there's a lot to like in that sort of "Tre Flowers" type role as a big powerful edge setting end who will find a way to make some plays in the backfield with power and relentlessness.

The thing i can't figure out with him though, is why on earth he's so chronically late off the snap.  Not even talking a lackluster first step, which is also true (though not fatal for that type of player).  Just...completely delayed reaction like he's not registering when the ball is snapped.  If you can coach that aspect out of him, there's a lot to like.  But it's such a weird thing to show up so consistently on his tape.  It makes me wonder what's going on.

Agreed, he's late so often. Don't know what to think about this recent top 40 hype, but there's stuff to like if you're looking for an edge setter on a four man front.  

On 2/24/2019 at 8:19 PM, BleedTheClock said:

It doesn't trouble you that he's so raw despite having two years with Coach Kool?

27 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

It doesn't trouble you that he's so raw despite having two years with Coach Kool?

I don't think he's that raw. He plays high and is inconsistent with his technique, but he has been productive in just about every game he played in at Miami. He's capable of winning with finesse hand chops and rips or bullying his way to the QB. He's crushed down OT's and made TFL's in the run game. He's kept QB's from getting outside of him in the pass game. I am all-in on Joe Jackson and I'd like to think I am keeping homerism out of it. I have denounced other highly touted Miami Hurricane players in the past and try to keep biases out of it. I just genuinely believe he's going to be one of the best DE's in the NFL and I can't wait to watch him in action.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

I don't think he's that raw. He plays high and is inconsistent with his technique, but he has been productive in just about every game he played in at Miami. He's capable of winning with finesse hand chops and rips or bullying his way to the QB. He's crushed down OT's and made TFL's in the run game. He's kept QB's from getting outside of him in the pass game. I am all-in on Joe Jackson and I'd like to think I am keeping homerism out of it. I have denounced other highly touted Miami Hurricane players in the past and try to keep biases out of it. I just genuinely believe he's going to be one of the best DE's in the NFL and I can't wait to watch him in action.

Bro, he's raw. There's nothing about him as a pass rusher that is polished. He's lacking hand usage, pass rush moves, pass rush plans, and an understanding of how to attack OLs.

5 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Bro, he's raw. There's nothing about him as a pass rusher that is polished. He's lacking hand usage, pass rush moves, pass rush plans, and an understanding of how to attack OLs.

Agree to disagree. He has the tool box and I've seen him win in a multitude of ways on a consistent basis. The only thing he really lacks is excellent bend off the edge. And I don't think he's a complete stiff in that regard either like some other guys in this DE class. Guess we'll see...I'm on an island all by myself when it comes to Joe Jackson it seems.

• Like 1