2019 NFL Draft - Interior Defensive Line

Forge

15 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

He looks like this years Kyle Williams/Harrison Phillips 

Also did anyone get to watch the SEC Championship game? Man, Georgia's OL was doing some bad bad things to Alabama's DL, yikes.

What do you mean?  I would say the performance of Georgia's DL/LB group against that Alabama offensive line was more impressive than what the Georgia OL did to the Alabama front four.  Jonah Williams who is regarded as the best OT in the up coming draft, he got pushed around at times in that game and struggled, Ledbetter just bulled him over a few times.  That Georgia D was the worst in the SEC in terms of sack totals, yet put crazy heat on Tua and got him injured obviously and out of the game, that was a big surprise and a big time showing for that D. 

Georgia was smart on offense, got the ball out quick and fast so the Bama rush was not that effective.  And the Alabama defense clearly finds out it is a lot harder rushing the passer when you are down in the ball game instead of up 21 points.  

1 minute ago, Ozzy said:

What do you mean?  I would say the performance of Georgia's DL/LB group against that Alabama offensive line was more impressive than what the Georgia OL did to the Alabama front four.  Jonah Williams who is regarded as the best OT in the up coming draft, he got pushed around at times in that game and struggled, Ledbetter just bulled him over a few times.  That Georgia D was the worst in the SEC in terms of sack totals, yet put crazy heat on Tua and got him injured obviously and out of the game, that was a big surprise and a big time showing for that D. 

Georgia was smart on offense, got the ball out quick and fast so the Bama rush was not that effective.  And the Alabama defense clearly finds out it is a lot harder rushing the passer when you are down in the ball game instead of up 21 points.  

Meh, thats cool. I saw guys getting punked, I didnt see the dominance that people spoke of with Williams. Georgia's edge did well as well

20 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Meh, thats cool. I saw guys getting punked, I didnt see the dominance that people spoke of with Williams. Georgia's edge did well as well

Meh?  Punked?  Are you talking about Quinnen Williams?  He had 8 tackles and a sack in that game, and was able to get some pressure but sure it was not like games before when again they were up 21 points and it is a little easier to rush the passer like I said.  Still to call him dominated against, yeah he will still be a top 3 pick in the draft.  Just to me Jonah Williams not playing well against that Georgia front seven I would say is a lot more impressive and surprising than Quinnen Williams being held to oh 8 tackles and a sack, for most DTs that would be an amazing game production.  

I think Bama was just caught off guard and a little full of themselves because they have not been in a real game all season and got hit in the mouth and that brought them back down to earth a little.  Georgia is easily better than Oklahoma, and yeah with how well they played they should be in that final four.  I was impressed with that big Freshman on Georgia Jordan Davis, guys is a mountain out there and should be a beast in the near future.  Swift did do well in the run game some what but I would say he was more a factor in the passing game and those quick passes allowed the pass rush do not be effective.  

16 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Meh?  Punked?  Are you talking about Quinnen Williams?  He had 8 tackles and a sack in that game, and was able to get some pressure but sure it was not like games before when again they were up 21 points and it is a little easier to rush the passer like I said.  Still to call him dominated against, yeah he will still be a top 3 pick in the draft.  Just to me Jonah Williams not playing well against that Georgia front seven I would say is a lot more impressive and surprising than Quinnen Williams being held to oh 8 tackles and a sack, for most DTs that would be an amazing game production.  

I think Bama was just caught off guard and a little full of themselves because they have not been in a real game all season and got hit in the mouth and that brought them back down to earth a little.  Georgia is easily better than Oklahoma, and yeah with how well they played they should be in that final four.  I was impressed with that big Freshman on Georgia Jordan Davis, guys is a mountain out there and should be a beast in the near future.  Swift did do well in the run game some what but I would say he was more a factor in the passing game and those quick passes allowed the pass rush do not be effective.  

All thats perfectly fine, I watched the game to see what the hype was all about and saw two impact and a lot more where he was on skates. Thats what I  saw

59 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

All thats perfectly fine, I watched the game to see what the hype was all about and saw two impact and a lot more where he was on skates. Thats what I  saw

Yeah it is a game worth watching again and I am sure I will after the year is over, there is a lot of prospect to see.  I am kind of surprised this was your first time watching him though, that is a little bit of a shocker if that is the case...

He is not your typical NT that stops the run, he is a penetration DT and that is what he does, is more likely to end up as a 3/4 DE than a NT or better yet a 4/3 DT, unless a team will go unconventional and have more of a pass rush set similar to the Rams who are not anything like your typical 3/4 defense, not with the long massive OLBs or giant NT types.

I was a little skeptical about Quinnen at first as well, but he is so damn productive and very quick off the ball.  An being such a young fresh prospect there is a ton of upside potentially with him if he continues to work and improve since this is his first year starting really and has had the best year arguably of any inside DL in the nation.  He can shed blockers easily but of course helps being surrounded by a ton of talent of course, Davis has not had the year I expected him to but is still a great player, and that DL is different with Buggs a little injured, was injured the week before and I think that carried over to this week and that affects the front.  They do not go super deep on the DL, Ray is ok as a backup and does some things but they do not have 8 solid guys they can put in there like years before.  

2 hours ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Also did anyone get to watch the SEC Championship game? Man, Georgia's OL was doing some bad bad things to Alabama's DL, yikes.

tweeted about it during the game, Georgia's OL has the kind of attitude every OL coach wants theirs to have. Gaillard is a hell of an underrated player for them.

5 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Quinnen was legit the only front 7 player to show up for Bama. Raekwon, Buggs, Moses, Mack, & Miller were all getting punked against UGA. Jennings was okay. I won’t say Raekwon hasn’t been disappointing this season but man he really didn’t progress at all this season. Might have regressed if anything.

12 hours ago, ClutchDJ said:

Quinnen was legit the only front 7 player to show up for Bama. Raekwon, Buggs, Moses, Mack, & Miller were all getting punked against UGA. Jennings was okay. I won’t say Raekwon hasn’t been disappointing this season but man he really didn’t progress at all this season. Might have regressed if anything.

The sad part about it is the next level talent is still there, he's going to be a great value for a team.

Being unbiased,Williams reminds me of a lengthier peak Geno Adkins. His technique and hand play is immaculate, he is also physical and isn't afraid of contact and leverages the hell out of linemen. He plays as well with his hands as I've seen in a long time excluding the Bosas 

21 hours ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Yup. They were doubling the crap out of their 3 down lineman and leaving the overhangs. Alabama's 3 stud DL don't do well against double teams. They dominate zone blocking, but power blocking schemes give them trouble. Bama's edge players and linebackers were making plays, but Quinnen Williams got eaten up any time they ran right at him. He's supremely talented, but I really question whether or not he's going to be an effective run defender in a 1 or 0 Tech. He's purely a 3-Tech to me despite playing NT in their 3-4 defense. He sucks against double teams.

5 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

Yup. They were doubling the crap out of their 3 down lineman and leaving the overhangs. Alabama's 3 stud DL don't do well against double teams. They dominate zone blocking, but power blocking schemes give them trouble. Bama's edge players and linebackers were making plays, but Quinnen Williams got eaten up any time they ran right at him. He's supremely talented, but I really question whether or not he's going to be an effective run defender in a 1 or 0 Tech. He's purely a 3-Tech to me despite playing NT in their 3-4 defense. He sucks against double teams.

Please tell me which LBs, because Mack Wilson & Dylan Moses looked like they just played football for the first time in their lives. Mack Wilson(might be the most overrated Bama prospect ever) under Saban looked hopeless as hell in the run game while Dylan Moses looked lost in the passing game. They didn’t make a single play at all that game. Neither did Christian Miller. Anfernee Jennings did some solid things here & there, but outside of him & Quinnen, everyone got exposed. Buggs is probably still not 100%, but no excuse for Raekwon to play like he has(especially with Quinnen making life easier for him).

7 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

And just to add on...this isn't the worst thing ever, or at least not something I would ding him for considerably.  Buckner still struggles against double teams at the NFL level, but obviously he's a very good player and he's going to hit double digit sacks this year as an 3-tech (he should actually already be there as he's had 1.5 sacks negated by penalties, I believe).  

3 hours ago, ClutchDJ said:

Please tell me which LBs, because Mack Wilson & Dylan Moses looked like they just played football for the first time in their lives.

They were excellent on outside run stops. They are free flowing linebackers, not thumpers. They were not the problem for Alabama on Saturday.

Archived