2019 NFL Draft - Offensive Line

Forge

13 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

He's going to get a crack at LT because they're inherently more valuable than RT or IOL, that's why he's going to get a shot at that position first.  But this is that Washington OL (his name is escaping me right now), where they're going to give him a shot to win the LT position, but don't be surprised when he ends up better as an OG or RT.

You're describing Cody Ford right here, not Jonah Williams

15 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

As for Dillard, he has elite movement skills.  You don't end up in the top 10 percent of 3-cone, 40 yard dash, and 20 yard short shuttle by accident.  Especially not at 315 pounds.  He's an elite athlete.  You can teach someone technique and skills, you can't teach athleticism.

His athleticism doesn't translate to OL play, which is kind of the crux of my argument here. Everyone's freaking about something that has far less meaning than they're attaching to it.  Running fast doesn't make you a great offensive lineman and it doesn't make you a great OL athlete. That testing might translate to other positions, but it just doesn't really mean much for offensive line play. A true evaluation of an offensive lineman's athletic ability would use a very different set of tests.

Also, you can teach athleticism. Guys aren't born that big and fast, they develop it through work in the weight room. You could argue that it's difficult to improve athletic ability, however.

Just now, IDOG_det said:

His athleticism doesn't translate to OL play, which is kind of the crux of my argument here. Everyone's freaking about something that has far less meaning than they're attaching to it.  Running fast doesn't make you a great offensive lineman and it doesn't make you a great OL athlete. That testing might translate to other positions, but it just doesn't really mean much for offensive line play. A true evaluation of an offensive lineman's athletic ability would use a very different set of tests.

Also, you can teach athleticism. Guys aren't born that big and fast, they develop it through work in the weight room. You could argue that it's difficult to improve athletic ability, however.

Doesn't translate to NFL play?  How do you figure?  His feet move as good as anyone in the draft for a guy his size.  You're going to teach him the proper technique to utilize that skillset.  I'm not going to pretend that I'm good at evaluating OL, but Dillard's upside far outweighs Jonah's.

Just now, IDOG_det said:

Is that an issue? All three are going to interest teams at tackle

Yes...because you said Ford was a guy who was going to get kicked inside because he couldn't hang at tackle.  I said Jonah was going to be one of those good, but not great tackles.  He could be an elite guard.

Just now, CWood21 said:

Doesn't translate to NFL play?  How do you figure?  His feet move as good as anyone in the draft for a guy his size.  You're going to teach him the proper technique to utilize that skillset.  I'm not going to pretend that I'm good at evaluating OL, but Dillard's upside far outweighs Jonah's.

No, they don't. "Foot movement" isn't about who can pitter-patter their feet the fastest (that's the actual term Dane Brugler used to describe Dillard's foot movement, I laughed when I saw that), it's about driving with ground-reactionary force, catching your body weight with good balance and posture, and doing so in a consistent and biomechanically efficient manner. Being able to pitter-patter quickly doesn't make someone a good candidate to pass-set at a high level. You can't just assume you can sprinkle some technique onto him and everything will work out. Your Packers already went through that with Jason Spriggs. Dillard has already learned technique, it's just bad technique that he's going to have to un-learn if he doesn't want to get beat. That isn't easy to do. Also, his technique puts him at a higher risk of injury. Same exact thing Luke Joeckel did and his repeated stress on his knee using poor technique basically caused his knee to explode. Dillard is at risk of the same thing. 

41 minutes ago, IDOG_det said:

He tested very well in those drills. I never denied that, I only disagreed with the idea that he is elite/special.

On 2/24/2019 at 10:42 AM, IDOG_det said:

Lmao this is ridiculous. Jonah is easily a top 5 talent. Dillard isn't even a top 5 athlete on the OL in this class. 

He's definitely a top 5 athlete in the OL class. That's what I was referencing. Plus I love his tape.

I hate to interrupt the Jonah argument that’s been going on for a dozen pages but I’m curious about day two center options. We drafted Allen last year but I could potentially see us adding another with both Allen and a pick able to put in time at Guard.

1 hour ago, NVRamsFan said:

I hate to interrupt the Jonah argument that’s been going on for a dozen pages but I’m curious about day two center options. We drafted Allen last year but I could potentially see us adding another with both Allen and a pick able to put in time at Guard.

I really liked Allen as a C prospect.

Third day center prospects...Justin Falcinelli isn't bad from Clemson. Ryan Anderson is a solid starter that can be had on day 3 IMO. Garrett Brumfield is an OG, but he's really short and might have to move to C. He could be an effective player on the interior for a ZBS team.

Just saw you said day 2 prospects, but I'm too lazy to change it.

This C class is brutal outside of the top dog (Garrett B)

2 hours ago, NVRamsFan said:

Elgton Jenkins is your man.

47 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

I really liked Allen as a C prospect.

Third day center prospects...Justin Falcinelli isn't bad from Clemson. Ryan Anderson is a solid starter that can be had on day 3 IMO. Garrett Brumfield is an OG, but he's really short and might have to move to C. He could be an effective player on the interior for a ZBS team.

Just saw you said day 2 prospects, but I'm too lazy to change it.

This C class is brutal outside of the top dog (Garrett B)

I liked him a lot as well and the Rams seem to. He was given a lot of preseason time at both center and guard. He also benefited during the season, along with Joe Noteboom, by getting 1st team reps during the week as McVay and Kromer have given the vets an extra day off to help keep them fresh. We'll see how they move forward with the center position. This could signal not only them liking Allen but a desire/need to save some money. I'll look at those guys.

23 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

Elgton Jenkins is your man.

Thanks!

8 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Yes...because you said Ford was a guy who was going to get kicked inside because he couldn't hang at tackle.  I said Jonah was going to be one of those good, but not great tackles.  He could be an elite guard.

When did I say Ford can't hang at tackle? But, that's beside the point. What does him being closer to Ford than Dillard in those tests have to do with anything? We both agree that he can play tackle, I just don't see why his combine performance should be viewed as a disappointment when the closest match to his testing was an All-pro left tackle who models his game after the same Hall of Fame player. I don't understand why you're making these points, I don't understand the value in saying something like that.

Guys- question about Chris Lindstrom

Consensus seems to be he is a guard in the NFL, yet he has experience at RT. People say his arms are short but they measure 34 1/2- his agility test at the Combine were good- why does noone see him as a tackle in the NFL?

Archived