Tracking Baker Mayfield VS. Sam Darnold's 1st Yr Play

Mind Character

The sacks are pretty clearly a 3-fold issue to include the OL, QB, and WRs. The other 2 groups  are making things difficult on Baker, but he still has to get rid of it when things break down. As long as he continues to stay focused and work hard, (and competent coaching) Mayfield should make some big strides this offseason. 

10 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

The sacks are pretty clearly a 3-fold issue to include the OL, QB, and WRs. The other 2 groups  are making things difficult on Baker, but he still has to get rid of it when things break down. As long as he continues to stay focused and work hard, (and competent coaching) Mayfield should make some big strides this offseason. 

The whole offense could take a big step next year with Baker, Chubb, Calloway, Harrison and Ratley all getting a full offseason to develop.

Njoku would be in his 3rd year (and still just 23) which is when it starts to click for a lot of TE.

Just now, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

The whole offense could take a big step next year with Baker, Chubb, Calloway, Harrison and Ratley all getting a full offseason to develop.

Njoku would be in his 3rd year (and still just 23) which is when it starts to click for a lot of TE.

Yes, I’m hoping for some big things next year if we can add a couple pieces to the mix on offense. As much as Mayfield clearly hates losing, it also makes you think this year’s W/L will only fuel him to improve (and hopefully improve others) with his offseason work. 

Njoku and Callaway are big pieces in this. Callaway has the ability to be an x-factor type #3 receiver for us, in the perfect world. Concentration issues are hard to break, but if he can get there, he can be a real asset. Njoku has tons of potential also, and he has put his abilities on display at times. We need consistency though. Given his age, you have high hopes for him. 

Given our youth at the skill spots other than Jarvis, I wouldn’t mind seeing our other starting WR be a guy with some experience. 

The sacks don't bother me, they are a part of the game and Mayfield always thinks he can escape which is why he doesn't throw it away all of the time, he does throw the ball away a fair amount, usually at someones feet. A more upbeat attack will probably help and that is in our not too distant future. At some point this will be Baker's offense and then we'll all be happy.

12 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

The sacks don't bother me, they are a part of the game and Mayfield always thinks he can escape which is why he doesn't throw it away all of the time, he does throw the ball away a fair amount, usually at someones feet. A more upbeat attack will probably help and that is in our not too distant future. At some point this will be Baker's offense and then we'll all be happy.

Yeah, when he is playing in a scheme that suits him it’s going to look great.

To those that think a good QB should be able to play in any system, I guarantee you I can create a system Tom Brady would fail in

11 minutes ago, hornbybrown said:

Yeah, when he is playing in a scheme that suits him it’s going to look great 

Speaking of which, can anyone tell us what our "scheme" or "schemes" have been so far?

The O play-calling has looked pretty chaotic to me.

Archived