Jarvis Landry and Baker Mayfields thoughts on officiating

candyman93

15 hours ago, MistaBohmbastic said:

In his press conference today, he discussed the actions the team is taking to make the league aware of this. He said the team is in constant contact with Al Riveron and they are definitely getting an earful from the Browns. Which, if you think about it, is more important than criticizing to the media.

He needs to criticize to the media tho. It will make a bigger stink about it. Dude has no problem criticizing players and his coaching staff to the media but won’t criticize one of the biggest issues in the poor officiating. He just won’t do it to the media because it will mean a fine. 

5 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Does running players into the ground in August lead to less penalties in October?

Sounds like some grumpy old man ish iyam.

Patriots run one of the hardest camps in the league. They have the lowest amount of penalties. There’s something to running simulated games in July and August that gets players ready to go by the season. 

Just now, sdrawkcab321 said:

Patriots run one of the hardest camps in the league. They have the lowest amount of penalties. There’s something to running simulated games in July and August that gets players ready to go by the season. 

They’re also one of the oldest/most experienced, which helps eliminate some of the youth related nonsense such as the penalty or two every game from special teams.

Some stuff, like Garrett’s weekly offsides penalties, aren’t a matter of coaching tbh.  I mean, do coaches really need to tell players to not jump offsides?  He’s trying to time the snap count and missing.  He’s also got 7 sacks and is in the running for DPOTY, so you sort of have to deal with it, unless you want to bench him...

We’ve got six rookies (Baker, Calloway, Ratley, Chubb, Avery and Ward) and 4 second year players (Njoku, Peppers, Garrett and Ogunjobi) either starting or playing significant snaps, and that doesn’t include bottom of the roster guys who play special teams.

Mistakes and penalties are part of the price you pay when you have an exceeding young roster.

2 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

They’re also one of the oldest/most experienced, which helps eliminate some of the youth related nonsense such as the penalty or two every game from special teams.

Some stuff, like Garrett’s weekly offsides penalties, aren’t a matter of coaching tbh.  I mean, do coaches really need to tell players to not jump offsides?  He’s trying to time the snap count and missing.  He’s also got 7 sacks and is in the running for DPOTY, so you sort of have to deal with it, unless you want to bench him...

We’ve got six rookies (Baker, Calloway, Ratley, Chubb, Avery and Ward) and 4 second year players (Njoku, Peppers, Garrett and Ogunjobi) either starting or playing significant snaps, and that doesn’t include bottom of the roster guys who play special teams.

Mistakes and penalties are part of the price you pay when you have an exceeding young roster.

Mistakes and penalties are also the price you pay for not holding players accountable. For all his faults, Mangini had a disciplined, low-penalty team. He got them this way by punishing a mistake in practice by making the offender run laps. Even Joe Thomas ran them. Running a loose training camp and practices leads to lapses in concentration. Yes, they are young, but Hue isn’t helping them mature. 

3 minutes ago, Trots said:

Mistakes and penalties are also the price you pay for not holding players accountable. For all his faults, Mangini had a disciplined, low-penalty team. He got them this way by punishing a mistake in practice by making the offender run laps. Even Joe Thomas ran them. Running a loose training camp and practices leads to lapses in concentration. Yes, they are young, but Hue isn’t helping them mature. 

The 2010 team had 8 starters (non special teams) in their 30’s and 4 more 27 or older.

This year’s team has 3 30 year olds on the roster (Fells, Stanton, and Streater) with one of them regularly contributing.

6 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Does running players into the ground in August lead to less penalties in October?

Sounds like some grumpy old man ish iyam.

I do get this sentiment. But there's also something to the idea that practicing self discipline as a unit leads to a more disciplined unit on the field. I don't think the fact that our defense is terrible against reverses and WR runs (lack of discipline in maintaining assignments) and that we lead the league in penalties are disconnected from one another. This isn't a disciplined team. You can blame that on the players, the coaches, or the FO, but it's somebody's fault.

13 minutes ago, freakygeniuskid said:

I do get this sentiment. But there's also something to the idea that practicing self discipline as a unit leads to a more disciplined unit on the field. I don't think the fact that our defense is terrible against reverses and WR runs (lack of discipline in maintaining assignments) and that we lead the league in penalties are disconnected from one another. This isn't a disciplined team. You can blame that on the players, the coaches, or the FO, but it's somebody's fault.

Do you not think inexperience plays a part there?

I think players who’ve been around a bit tend to do better with technique, maintaining gap integrity, etc., all of which would fall under “discipline”, but just as easily be described as experience.

I think part of the blame, at least defensively, is we run fairly aggressive schemes.  It’s not uncommon for aggressive schemes to backfire when unsuccessful.  It’s not an indictment on coaching as the other side of the same sword what benefits us when it comes to sacks and INt’s.

7 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Do you not think inexperience plays a part there?

I think players who’ve been around a bit tend to do better with technique, maintaining gap integrity, etc., all of which would fall under “discipline”, but just as easily be described as experience.

I think part of the blame, at least defensively, is we run fairly aggressive schemes.  It’s not uncommon for aggressive schemes to backfire when unsuccessful.  It’s not an indictment on coaching as the other side of the same sword what benefits us when it comes to sacks and INt’s.

These are very good points, sir. I do think the coaches, to a certain degree, are responsible for the insane amount of penalties. At the same time, we're also the youngest team in football. Inexperienced players do everything they can to avoid being beat, so they hold, etc. It takes time to break that natural habit and let a guy go. I don't place blame on one single source, it's a culmination of things, as you alluded to.

Archived