Brian Flores

everlong

I know this will come off as a troll thread, but the guy is just not good at running the defense.

The defense has been torched by Blake Bortles, who was benched Sunday and looked poor in every other game except NYJ, who aren't exactly known for a good pass defense either.

The defense nearly let Mitch Trubisky tie the game on a Hail Mary. From the way Trubs played, we would have won in a blowout with MattPatt.

He had literally zero answers for Trey Burton, whose 126 yards against us was nearly 40% of his total season yards as of now.

This defense has very little talent all around. Ultimately your scheme is only as good as your players but I do have to wonder whether Bill’s big, physical, disciplined and smart front is the best way to go forward with how athletic offenses have become. They are completely unable to deal with scrambling QBs; it’s really painful watching the front seven trying to chase one down only to fall down trying to make a cut or knowing they will not catch them at all. If that wasn’t bad enough the new rules also make it hard to even bring down a QB without having a flag thrown in your face and seems like all of these young guns are super mobile to boot. 

1 hour ago, Starless said:

This team gives up a ton of yards and points simply as a result of having linebackers who are too slow to cover or chase down scrambling QBs. Fix that issue and you fix the defense, for the most part.

This, essentially. The DL is most talented they've had for a while, and DBs are decent. The slow LBs just mean that if the QB escapes pressure there's always either a TE/RB breaking open, or loads fo space to run for the first.

9 hours ago, CP3MVP said:

Im faster than the patriots LBs

I totally believe you unless you are over 70 years old. 

Speed is everything in todays NFL and we don't have it. I don't know who and where it will be but the Patriots defense needs to add 1 key player if they want to win the SB this year.

Happy with the corners. Gilmore is playing some of the best cornerbacking since the likes of Revis and/or Law. Serious, check the stats. Also, J McCourty is doing well on the other side. Not overly bothered about the secondary.

Everywhere else though. Phwoooar. We can't do much with that. We've had some drives where we really shut down the run game, but any sort of intermediate stuff, or scrambling, or longer duration plays we have to defend - we are probably the worst in the league. 

No talent for that kind of thing. We need our Deion Jones this offseason.

We go through this every year haha 

Not saying that this defense is elite but let's wait until December to start worrying if it keeps not meeting the standards held by Patriots fans. This has been the highest scoring season in the Super Bowl era so far. 

I don't think Flores has done a horrible job at all. But keep bringing up week 2 against Bortles. 

13 hours ago, Spooky said:

We go through this every year haha 

Not saying that this defense is elite but let's wait until December to start worrying if it keeps not meeting the standards held by Patriots fans. This has been the highest scoring season in the Super Bowl era so far. 

I don't think Flores has done a horrible job at all. But keep bringing up week 2 against Bortles. 

Patriots are #18 in defensive DVOA which is pretty solid overall. Last year they were much worse. They have to do a better job in keeping teams out of the endzone but I think they will. One thing to remember here is that the offense has to do a better job of not turning the ball over. 

2017: 5 turnovers through 7 games

2018: 13 turnovers through 7 games

this is the difference along with underwhelming punt returns. Don't turn the ball over and the defense will give up only 15-20 points per game instead of 25. 

Archived