• Donald Penn 8.3M
  • Seth Roberts 4.3M
  • Keith Smith    1.5M could draft a better FB in the 7th round
  • Jordy Nelson 7.2M
  • Dereck Carrier 1.7M could draft a better receiving TE on 3rd day of draft
  • Andrew Depaola 900k  found a young replacement

would give us 100M in cap space.....

Jordy finishing the season strong.... 

I personally would keep Penn, Roberts and Nelson around. Nelson has lost a step or two but that's not what makes him win, he's a smart receiver who knows how to work with Carr and come back to the ball and I think Carr trusts Nelson as a safe pair of hands. He's nowhere near a #1 WR but we can add that hopefully this off season. he's a good complimentary WR.

Penn I'd keep around, but only if healthy. He's the most proven OT we have and at worst he could be a swing tackle for us, I wouldn't worry too much about the cap space as we'll have a lot of room anyway and providing he's healthy he'll be an asset in the OL room.

Roberts I think is overpaid but he seems to be a favourite of the coaches and Carr. I'd keep him around as he does seem to come up with big plays and we could easily draft worse.

It's easy to just cut guys and say we'll pick up a replacement in the 7th round but how often does that actually happen, most 7th rounders don't even make the active roster and it's very optimistic to think we could get better replacements than Smith and Carrier (and numerous others) in the 7th round IMHO. There's not much harm in keeping the guys in for camp next year and replacing them if and when they get beaten out by FAs or rookies.

Tom Cable... Gruden has to make this move. Cable's history speaks for itself. Not only is he a terrible O-line coach he can not evaluate talent to save his life. He had a voice in the Seahawks war room and they drafted so many o-linemen and would always look awful. Now Tom Cable is in Oakland drafting horrible players, yet again. He wanted Kolton Miller and Gruden allowed it. Just horrible. If Raiders want to make some progress in 2019 it starts with firing Tom Cable. If not we will see the same results. These guys are getting the QB killed.

59 minutes ago, raidersedge said:

Tom Cable... Gruden has to make this move. Cable's history speaks for itself. Not only is he a terrible O-line coach he can not evaluate talent to save his life. He had a voice in the Seahawks war room and they drafted so many o-linemen and would always look awful. Now Tom Cable is in Oakland drafting horrible players, yet again. He wanted Kolton Miller and Gruden allowed it. Just horrible. If Raiders want to make some progress in 2019 it starts with firing Tom Cable. If not we will see the same results. These guys are getting the QB killed.

Worth noting It was rumored that Cable liked and lobbied for both Miller and Parker. That tells me Gruden at one point actually listened to and was influenced by Cable. Does Gruden admit it's not working and get him out of here? That would be the smart play, the results speak for themselves. 

But I can easily see Gruden coughing it up to injuries and inexperience and giving him another year.

2 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Worth noting It was rumored that Cable liked and lobbied for both Miller and Parker. That tells me Gruden at one point actually listened to and was influenced by Cable. Does Gruden admit it's not working and get him out of here? That would be the smart play, the results speak for themselves. 

But I can easily see Gruden coughing it up to injuries and inexperience and giving him another year.

It is alarming to an extent that Gruden, the offensive genius hired Cable in the first place. He should have known how bad of a job he did in Seattle right? 

I just hope that he values Carr and actually his own reputation high enough to move on from that guy.

Kolton and even Parker can be saved IMO. Kolton showed some life here and there and Parker showed some upside as a run blocker...I could see Parker at OG actually...maybe he could thrive at LG...his "old/natural" side with limited pass protection duties could help him out a lot.

1 hour ago, Rolni said:

It is alarming to an extent that Gruden, the offensive genius hired Cable in the first place. He should have known how bad of a job he did in Seattle right? 

I just hope that he values Carr and actually his own reputation high enough to move on from that guy.

Kolton and even Parker can be saved IMO. Kolton showed some life here and there and Parker showed some upside as a run blocker...I could see Parker at OG actually...maybe he could thrive at LG...his "old/natural" side with limited pass protection duties could help him out a lot.

Completely alarming. To that point, his ST coach has been low key awful all season as well. 

You'd think with his connections, he'd have had tabbed a better Oline coach. Two issues with Cable, his scheme is ineffective and he's a poor judge of talent. And now the Raiders are stuck with 2 tackle prospects who look pretty bad. 

Redskins shake up their staff, maybe Callahan finds his way back to Gruden's staff? 

19 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Completely alarming. To that point, his ST coach has been low key awful all season as well. 

You'd think with his connections, he'd have had tabbed a better Oline coach. Two issues with Cable, his scheme is ineffective and he's a poor judge of talent. And now the Raiders are stuck with 2 tackle prospects who look pretty bad. 

Redskins shake up their staff, maybe Callahan finds his way back to Gruden's staff? 

Yeah that ST coach hire is also a question mark...but I'm willing to give Rich another year, new ST guys etc. He is not terrible all the time...it would be interesting to know who wanted Townsend tho...

I'm not that worried about Kolton and Parker as prospects if we get a new OL coach. I think Kolton can be a solid OT and Parker can also be a servicable swing guy or a starter, maybe inside...I know that it would have been nice to draft better players, but I am willing to give them the chance to bounce back with a quality coach. 

We will see what happens in Washington, I would be down for Callahan for sure...

I would be absolutely delighted if he's ruining somebody else's OL next year, but I get the feeling that Cable isn't going anywhere.

He seems to be the type that can talk a really good game, which can be the only explanation for him still being employed at the level he's at, as well as being the reason why he ever had an NFL HC job to begin with. He'll worm his way to another season.

3 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

we need to see which head coaches get fired and poach coaches from their staff ... well the good ones

If the Falcons can Marquand Manuel, id love to have him as a DBs coach.

Todd Monken from TB is another one i'd take in a positional role in a heartbeat.

6 hours ago, riceman80 said:

Todd Monken from TB is another one i'd take in a positional role in a heartbeat.

I think Derek Ansley has done a good job with the DBs all things considered. Coaching staff outside Cable has been respectable. 

7 hours ago, riceman80 said:

I think Monken who has overseen a high powered offense with shuffling QBs is getting looked at for a position coach if available 

6 hours ago, big_palooka said:

I think Derek Ansley has done a good job with the DBs all things considered. Coaching staff outside Cable has been respectable. 

Agreed. No unit has really stood out as being particularly badly-coached besides OL and maybe Special Teams. Which honestly makes a nice change.

Gruden's staff have managed to get more than expected out of some of these guys. With some actual talent, I think the staff will be fine.

Archived