Who should be shipped out next?

Humble_Beast

1 hour ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

He's actually handled the pocket better this year, but sure.

I tend to agree with this. At least vs last year. Although Carr has also had a lot of plays where he has been skittish or bad under pressure too. Heck, he's had those even when there isn't pressure. The theme of this year for him was always to get back on track. My hope is that the end of the year, we see him being cooler under pressure and glimpses of 2016 kinds of plays. There has been a lot of good and bad. I don't understand why everyone makes it so black and white. Although I will admit a lot of the bad plays have been daggers which lose us the game. Probably why.

What perplexes me though is a lot of people use the "well we wont win soon anyway" excuse when saying trade Carr....but they aren't willing to even wait the rest of the season to see if he can improve before writing him off. I realize humans are prisoners of the moment by nature....but damn. And further, I'd be open to dealing the guy in the future depending on how things work out. I just think we need to see more.

2 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Or... we just keep him. Because he's a good quarterback.

He’s gonna have to prove that for a lot more than one game, especially against the Colts swiss cheese defense. Carr really needs to prove he can develop pocket presence. As most scouts say, this doesn’t improve much. It’s something you have or don’t. What makes you think Carr can improve his pocket presence when he has proven since he has been a freshmen in college he struggles with it?

Better yet, please explain why you think Derek Carr is so special. I’m trying to open my mind to your opinion here, not being rude in any way. I’m fully listening. I personally just think this is a case of attachment to a player and also because of our drought at QB for 10 years due to Al Davis. 

4 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

He’s gonna have to prove that for a lot more than one game, especially against the Colts swiss cheese defense. Carr really needs to prove he can develop pocket presence. As most scouts say, this doesn’t improve much. It’s something you have or don’t. What makes you think Carr can improve his pocket presence when he has proven since he has been a freshmen in college he struggles with it?

Better yet, please explain why you think Derek Carr is so special. I’m trying to open my mind to your opinion here, not being rude in any way. I’m fully listening. I personally just think this is a case of attachment to a player and also because of our drought at QB for 10 years due to Al Davis. 

Except he handled the pocket well again today. He shrugged off the DE to throw the touchdown. He delivered a very nice ball to Cook off the blitz. He's started using his feet. His YPA is better this year and he's completing more balls. He's being challenged more by Gruden and he's showing improvement in aspects of his game. He has very good arm talent. He is 27 and is in a new offense and is picking it up well. Has pushed the ball downfield better.  He's not taking many sacks this year and hasn't fumbled very much. I'd say his pocket awareness has gotten better. He's not russell wilson, but he has improved in that regard.

I'm not saying he's "special". but how many teams in the league have a special quarterback? 4? 5? Many quarterbacks don't peak till their 30s. Trading him would set us back several years. Blake Bortles is tanking the Jaguars playoff roster. Do you want that to happen to us in 2-3 years?

If we discredit the Colts defense for not being good, should we discredit his performance vs the Rams defense for being good?

Again I don't know what fans want.

33 minutes ago, Silver&Black88 said:

What perplexes me though is a lot of people use the "well we wont win soon anyway" excuse when saying trade Carr...

That's a poor excuse. A 27 year old QB has plenty of years left. It's totally different from most of the other positions. If some people want to trade Carr because they don't believe he will improve, fine.

Ehhh. I think we all need to see the season play out and let the dust settle before forming unchangeable opinions. JMO. This week was a good one, he has his bad weeks too. I want to see him cut down on the bad mistakes from here on out. This week was a good step, though as I said, starting safeties were not playing

13 minutes ago, oakdb36 said:

That's a poor excuse. A 27 year old QB has plenty of years left. It's totally different from most of the other positions. If some people want to trade Carr because they don't believe he will improve, fine.

I agree

1 minute ago, Silver&Black88 said:

Ehhh. I think we all need to see the season play out and let the dust settle before forming unchangeable opinions. JMO. This week was a good one, he has his bad weeks too. I want to see him cut down and the bad mistakes from here on out. This week was a good step, though as I said, starting safeties were not playing

I agree

a new system and lack of talent on offense too.. sorry can't expect video game numbers for Carr....name a worst wideout corps?  Carr thrashing a joke

wonder if Conely or Joseph get traded.... I would keep Conely, think he is going be good. If we could get a day2 pick for Joseph I'll do it... Melvin trashed the coaches didn't he? I''ll take a late round pick for him

Just now, Humble_Beast said:

a new system and lack of talent on offense too.. sorry can't expect video game numbers for Carr....name a worst wideout corps?  Carr thrashing a joke

wonder if Conely or Joseph get traded.... I would keep Conely, think he is going be good. If we could get a day2 pick for Joseph I'll do it... Melvin trashed the coaches didn't he? I''ll take a late round pick for him

I think Carr could be playing better overall, but I do agree the situation is pretty bad. As I said, if he could just cut out stupid mistakes, I'd be happy. New systems are hard, Gruden brags about how annoying his is. I'd say we're bottom 5 probably WR wise, I think moving Coop was the right move still however. At least we have Cook and Richard in the pass game. Any QB is going to play bad with their OL in shambles, thats why teams invest so much in pass rushers and LT's. I just want to see improvement for the rest of the year. Bad games are fine. Just no more idiot stuff, please.

We're going to get little to nothing for Joseph so I would keep him as Nelson and Gilchrist are liabilities. Conley, we can't give up on yet. Melvin isn't a bad idea -- blatantly unhappy and a trade elsewhere would give him a chance to play for a new contract. I'd hope for a 5th from a team needing CB help. Don't care about Irvin either way as long as he's gone over the next offseason

3 hours ago, BayRaider said:

But aren't the Colts like second best in the league rushing the passer?

Archived