Week 8 GDT: Arizona Cardinals vs San Francisco 49ers

J-ALL-DAY

I just take solace in the fact that with Jimmy, I think at worst we're 5-3 right now. We've been competitive all year, sans the Rams game and a competent QB beats Arizona twice, while also beating the Packers and the Chargers. The defense has it's warts still but with a healthy Jimmy G, we're right there in the playoff hunt. So regardless what happens the rest of the season, I know the team isn't that far away. We definitely have holes and depth needs to improve at certain areas but it's not as bad as it may appear to be as the losses mount. One thing I hope come from this though is they will go out sign a vet to compete with Beat Hard for the back-up spot next year. It should be clear now that Beat Hard isn't capable of coming in and winning games in this league. 

2 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

I just take solace in the fact that with Jimmy, I think at worst we're 5-3 right now. We've been competitive all year, sans the Rams game and a competent QB beats Arizona twice, while also beating the Packers and the Chargers. The defense has it's warts still but with a healthy Jimmy G, we're right there in the playoff hunt. So regardless what happens the rest of the season, I know the team isn't that far away. We definitely have holes and depth needs to improve at certain areas but it's not as bad as it may appear to be as the losses mount. One thing I hope come from this though is they will go out sign a vet to compete with Beat Hard for the back-up spot next year. It should be clear now that Beat Hard isn't capable of coming in and winning games in this league. 

Y'all need to bring in a legitimate #2 QB. I'd use a draft pick on one or sign a guy who is a fringe starter. Jimmy has struggled in the NFL to stay healthy. Gotta prepare for the worst there.

16 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Okay, even if Shanny's offense makes you guys sweat, our defense isn't nearly good enough to slow your down offense. Now, things can change if say we get Bosa and sign Earl Thomas. That sure would change things quickly, but it looks like the Rams division for the near future. Seahawks starting to play good ball and could compete with the Rams on their best day, but they don't have enough either. And the Cards? They seem to be in a rebuild mode and won't challenge for the division for quite some time. 

Well even if we lose by 100 points combined each time we play the Rams, that's still just two games. Plenty of other opportunities to be competitive. 

Having head to head tiebreakers is always a plus, but not necessary to get into the big dance. 

Thanks @jrry32 for the positivity. Shanny seems to have had a big hand in choosing our offensive skill position players. I think that's been the biggest mistake he's made so far, because it seems like we have swung and missed with some offensive skill position choices. Weve also hit on a few and gotten good value in guys like breida and kittle 

@PapaShogun anything but a Rams title would be a huge disappointment? I think you have it backwards. 

7 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

It will be a huge disappointment if the Rams don't win a title this year. Or at least get to the Super Bowl. Goff is playing lights out on his rookie deal, they've been lucky with injuries, turnovers, and their defense is playing pretty well. Also the NFC isn't that strong this year. 

For what they went and got personnel wise, their defense has underwhelmed. Granted, they've been hit with injuries to key guys like Talib and Peters, teams have still been lighting them up. If Montgomery doesn't fumble the kick-off, Rodgers probably performs another one of his magical comebacks today. They are the best team in the NFC at this point but I still think the Saints or the Vikes could best them in the playoffs. Even though they did beat the Vikes already, I still see that as a tough match-up for them. 

8 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Y'all need to bring in a legitimate #2 QB. I'd use a draft pick on one or sign a guy who is a fringe starter. Jimmy has struggled in the NFL to stay healthy. Gotta prepare for the worst there.

ACL's for QBs are a freak injury. Especially of the non-contact variety. I have no worries about Jimmy G being injury-proned. But the #2 slot behind him definitely needs to be revaluated. 

3 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

ACL's for QBs are a freak injury. Especially of the non-contact variety. I have no worries about Jimmy G being injury-proned. But the #2 slot behind him definitely needs to be revaluated. 

That's what we convinced ourselves about Bradford early in his career. The freak injuries kept happening. After he tore his ACL the first time, I was adamant that the Rams have a legitimate #2 who could start because we could not trust Bradford to stay healthy. When Bridgewater fell in the Draft, I wanted us to trade up and draft him. Ultimately, we did not, and as we all know, Bradford tore his ACL again in the preseason that year. You don't want be stuck next year in the same situation.

14 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

This is definitely something the team needs to address. Sorry, Beathard just isn't it. A lot of fools gold in his first couple of games. I'd even be fine with someone like Bortles if the Jags get rid of him. 

14 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

This is definitely something the team needs to address. Sorry, Beathard just isn't it. A lot of fools gold in his first couple of games. I'd even be fine with someone like Bortles if the Jags get rid of him. 

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Yeah, I think Kyle could get good things out of Bortles. He'd be a nice pickup for the right price.

7 hours ago, jrry32 said:

That's what we convinced ourselves about Bradford early in his career. The freak injuries kept happening. After he tore his ACL the first time, I was adamant that the Rams have a legitimate #2 who could start because we could not trust Bradford to stay healthy. When Bridgewater fell in the Draft, I wanted us to trade up and draft him. Ultimately, we did not, and as we all know, Bradford tore his ACL again in the preseason that year. You don't want be stuck next year in the same situation.

Meh, apples and oranges. Bradford had a significant knee injury in college. Not the same as Jimmy G who's only other significant injury in his athletic career was the shoulder injury he suffered with the Pats. Like I said, I'm not worried about him staying healthy. QBs get hurt from time to time. They tend to take a accumulation of hits over the course of a season. Rodgers, Brady, and Rivers have all miss time with various injuires over their career. I don't think any of those guys would be considered 'injury-prone'. We'll know more about Jimmy's penchant for injury as he plays more. We just need to find a legit #2 who can come in a win a few games here and there, simply for the fact that any one hit can potentially ruin a season, no matter who the QB is. 

9 hours ago, jrry32 said:

Yeah, I think Kyle could get good things out of Bortles. He'd be a nice pickup for the right price.

Whew. I want nothing to do with Bortles. Never have. Never will. Especially not at the price for picking him up. He has all of the physical gifts you are looking for in a quarterback, but his footwork his poor leading to wonky accuracy, his mental processing is slow to nonexistent, and his release is slow. He's the anti-Jimmy G on that front. He's best in a down the field Ariansish or digital system (or out of the NFL) where his problems can be mitigated by upping the space in between receivers and defenders, with clear definitions of reads and a lot of onus on scramble drills. He is not the fit for a timing offense, even if Kyle's ability to spring wide open recievers on play action would help him out. 

On ‎10‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 12:04 PM, N4L said:

Im not really worried about our run defense. Last week the rams OL wore us down. The cardinals OL wont be doing that this week and I expect us to stack the box somewhat. 

This week the zone blitz returns and we actually are +1 in the turnover margin. 

49ers 19 - Cardinals 13

Final score prediction wasn't that far off.. knew it would be some weird numbers..

We were +2 

I hate it when this team finds cruel and creative ways to lose games. Just lose the normal way, either being blown out or by fighting hard until the end and failing. But this loss was ridiculous. Shame.

Like, couldn't they just adjust to simple things. Every single 3rd down, the Cards blitzed hard, resulting in a sack. Do something different. And this defense can hold up pretty well at times, but when it really matters (the end of the game), it can never get an important stop. Our only hope is to let them score and still have some time on the board, but then we get this inept offense who can't figure out how to beat a 3rd down blitz... it was a bad team we lost to... twice... this is embarassing.

Archived