When did current Elite QB's reach Elite status?

Chargers

There seems to be consensus that Brady, Brees, Rodgers are all Elite QBs and I would agree. But they've all played for a long time and I was wondering what season did they reach that Elite group? 2007 for Brady, 2009 for Rodgers and 2008 for Drew Brees seems about right for me. If you include Big Ben, Rivers, and Wilson. I'd say 2009, 2010, and 2015 respectively. 

In Brees and Brady case, both seem to have gotten better even past their physical prime.  I don't watch Brady as much, but he seems to have gotten better to me even in his late thirties.  Brees for sure seems to be doing some things better than he did even in 2009 or 2011.

Some of that may be the league getting easier to play QB, but I attribute some of it the way they approach the game mentally, and keep themselves in shape during the offseason.

In Rodgers case, it may be harder to notice because such a big part of his game is his physical talent. 

Brady 2004: Winning his third Super Bowl was enough and he was coming off his best season by far.  He didn't have good offensive weapons compared to Peyton at that time.  2007 solidified him as a HOF'er and MVP candidate but 2004 was elite status

Brees 2006: IIRC he was all pro and had a great season leading the Saints to the NFC CG.  If not 2006, surely 2008 or 2009

Ben 2010: This was the hardest to pick.  I almost went with 2007 or 2008 but he wasn't that great in 2008, despite winning a Super Bowl.

Wilson 2015: MVP candidate and already had playoff success by this point

Rodgers 2010: Very good regular season and excellent playoffs winning a Super Bowl

1 minute ago, Jlowe22 said:

In Brees and Brady case, both seem to have gotten better even past their physical prime.  I don't watch Brady as much, but he seems to have gotten better to me even in his late thirties.  Brees for sure seems to be doing some things better than he did even in 2009 or 2011.

Some of that may be the league getting easier to play QB, but I attribute some of it the way they approach the game mentally, and keep themselves in shape during the offseason.

In Rodgers case, it may be harder to notice because such a big part of his game is his physical talent. 

I would attribute Brady/Brees due to the rules and spread offenses while gaining knowledge and being better pre snap read minds.   In 2006 Brady wasn't throwing to RB's in the open like it is now.

7 minutes ago, King Joffrey said:

I would attribute Brady/Brees due to the rules and spread offenses while gaining knowledge and being better pre snap read minds.   In 2006 Brady wasn't throwing to RB's in the open like it is now.

I agree with this.  

I don't  know, Brees seems like the same guy he has been since 2006.

Brady is the one who's game gotten better as he ages. He has always had good pocket movement, but he moves around much better now then he did 6-7 years ago. Like go watch some Pats games from 2010-2011 and then watch some games from 2014 to now and it is just remarkable how much more fluid he is in the pocket. 

It is hard to believe that guy is four years older then Eli, who looks like 2006 Bledsoe.

Rodgers is 2011 for me. He was an excellent QB before then, but 2011 really put the stamp on it.

Similar with Brady for 04/07, but harder to judge since his 04 season ended with a third Lombardi. 

Drew, I’d go 08. 06 and 07 were great years, no doubt, but again I feel 08 was the definitive season for Drew.

Not that anyone could do it, but there are a good handful of QBs that could have very good-to-great seasons a few times. But not many have those great seasons consistently with absolute monster/MVP seasons like these 3 have. I don’t think any other active QB belongs in the conversation with those 3 if we’re discussing their careers/primes.

10 hours ago, game3525 said:

I don't  know, Brees seems like the same guy he has been since 2006.

Brady is the one who's game gotten better as he ages. He has always had good pocket movement, but he moves around much better now then he did 6-7 years ago. Like go watch some Pats games from 2010-2011 and then watch some games from 2014 to now and it is just remarkable how much more fluid he is in the pocket. 

It is hard to believe that guy is four years older then Eli, who looks like 2006 Bledsoe.

Brees gunslings much less now, and he has for a while now.  Some of that is weaker arm, but it's good that he doesn't take nearly as many chances with a weak arm.

13 hours ago, Jlowe22 said:

Even these elite QBs cannot do it all by themselves.  Brady has been blessed with consistently good teams (and BB) around him over his career.   When New Orleans missed the playoffs Brees game didn't change but his team around him did.  Drew is fortunate his team is now much better again.  Right now the team surrounding Rodgers isn't as good.  Our last GM - Ted Thompson - didn't have good drafts for 3 years and avoided FA.  Only a 10 players drafted from 2015 to 2017 are still with the team and only 7 starting today (a couple of these are starting because of injury).  We are now paying for that.  Packers fans hope our new GM can right the ship before Rodgers retires.

8 minutes ago, Pugger said:

Even these elite QBs cannot do it all by themselves.  Brady has been blessed with consistently good teams (and BB) around him over his career.   When New Orleans missed the playoffs Brees game didn't change but his team around him did.  Drew is fortunate his team is now much better again.  Right now the team surrounding Rodgers isn't as good.  Our last GM - Ted Thompson - didn't have good drafts for 3 years and avoided FA.  Only a 10 players drafted from 2015 to 2017 are still with the team and only 7 starting today (a couple of these are starting because of injury).  We are now paying for that.  Packers fans hope our new GM can right the ship before Rodgers retires.

I agree, and I wasn't insinuating that Rodgers has gotten worse or anything.  The Packers have done a pretty bad job building the team around him IMO.  And it's a shame because Rodgers is a good enough QB that he should definitely have multiple Super Bowls.

4 hours ago, Pugger said:

Oh lord the Rodgers needs more help narrative

Archived