When did current Elite QB's reach Elite status?

Chargers

7 hours ago, Classic said:

They didn't just pass well in 2011, they had a historic season passing. It may sound unfair but that's a playoff game, you have to win considering how amazing the Packers offense was that season. As for 2013 that 49ers defense wasn't nearly has good as 2012 and or as Elite as it's 2011 counterpart, as could be seen in the game because the Packers weren't blown out like they were when Kaepernick ran all over them the year before. 

Yes, our offenses were great during those seasons but our defenses were not.

13 hours ago, Classic said:

They didn't just pass well in 2011, they had a historic season passing. It may sound unfair but that's a playoff game, you have to win considering how amazing the Packers offense was that season. As for 2013 that 49ers defense wasn't nearly has good as 2012 and or as Elite as it's 2011 counterpart, as could be seen in the game because the Packers weren't blown out like they were when Kaepernick ran all over them the year before. 

We have seen time after time that one dimensional teams tend to lose early in the playoffs. The 2011 Packers were the textbook definition of a one dimensional team, so it is no surprise that they lost to the Giants, who much more well-rounded by the time the playoffs started. 

And the 2013 49ers might have been worst defensively then the 2012 and 2011 49ers, but they were still a much better team then GB. The Packers only made the playoffs due to Rodgers late game heroics against the Bears. They weren't a good team that year and it shows with their point differential. The Niners on the other hand were the second best team in the league that year behind the Seahawks. So I don't see why we should hold that lost against Rodgers. He lost to much better team, that happens. 

The Packers defense led the league in takeaways that year.  Takeaways can be flukey, but that can go a long way for a team, like the Saints in 2009, who had a bad defense that also got a lot of takeaways. (Interestingly, Packers also led the league in takeaways in 2009.)  The Packers were dead last in yards given up, but 19th in points.  The Saints in 2009 were 25th in yards given up and 20th in points.

The bigger difference between the two teams were that 2009 Saints ran the ball better.

But what happened to the Packers defense after 2010?  The were a top 3 unit in 2010, and top ten in 2009.  They still led the league in takeaways in 2011, but everything else about them tanked.  

1 hour ago, Jlowe22 said:

The Packers defense led the league in takeaways that year.  Takeaways can be flukey, but that can go a long way for a team, like the Saints in 2009, who had a bad defense that also got a lot of takeaways. (Interestingly, Packers also led the league in takeaways in 2009.)  The Packers were dead last in yards given up, but 19th in points.  The Saints in 2009 were 25th in yards given up and 20th in points.

The bigger difference between the two teams were that 2009 Saints ran the ball better.

But what happened to the Packers defense after 2010?  The were a top 3 unit in 2010, and top ten in 2009.  They still led the league in takeaways in 2011, but everything else about them tanked.  

Nick Collins died.

You can't call over 10% of something elite.  Rodgers, Brees, Brady.  That's elite.  There is no other elite. 

Don't think Brady became elite until 2007.  He'd never had under 12 interceptions or over 28 touchdowns until then, he had one 4,000 yard season, and he'd never had a QB rating over 92.6

I know Pats fans get angry when I say this, but he was a game manager until 2007.  In 2006 he had 24 touchdowns to 12 interceptions.  He wasn't all that good.  He had 4 interceptions and 0 touchdowns against the Colts in 2006.  He was far from elite. 

Rodgers does not need more help on offense.  He has the best offensive tackle in the NFL, three good running backs who get open in the passing game (and who he entirely ignores), an all-pro tight end who still has a lot of talent and ability, Cobb (who also gets open only to wave to Rodgers as Rodgers scrambles for 8 more seconds before taking a sack), a good JAG (Just A Guy), so like a notch above JAG is Allison, and he's got three very promising rookie receivers.

To say that Rodgers has gotten worse with time because he doesn't have help is flat out wrong.  Rodgers HAS regressed since 2015. 

His talent has not regressed.  His talent has gotten better and better every single year since 2015, and yet Aaron's bad habits he picked up in 2015 are still with him. 

2015 ruined him and he needs to change the way he plays, or he's going to continue to struggle. 

I would go on about it, but Packer fans are very sensitive about this and I don't want to have a bunch of non-Packer fans agreeing with me.  I like to keep my frustrations with Rodgers in the Packer family. 

1 hour ago, Outpost31 said:

You can't call over 10% of something elite.  Rodgers, Brees, Brady.  That's elite.  There is no other elite. 

There's no magic cutoff number for whether a player is elite.  There could easily be 5+ QBs playing at an elite level at the same time.  We like to rank players and only call the top few elite, but in some years, the difference between the number 1 guy and the number 5 guy may not be all that much.  And the rankings are subjective to begin with.  Though I agree that long term, that's the only 3 elite QBs, but in a particular year, it could be more or less.  This year, I'd say, at the least, Mahomes, Goff, Brees, Ryan, Rivers are playing at an elite level, and probably Brady and Rodgers also.

Archived