Matt Ryan quietly having another MVP-like season...

megatechpc

1 hour ago, BlaqOptic said:

Has nothing to do with "real estate." While Stats LLC has him with one drop on the season he definitely had one on a pass thrown slightly behind him over the middle in the 2nd Quarter and another on a play that was technically a Pass Defensed from Hayden that very well could've been caught though. Has nothing to do with real estate in my head. The distinction between Jones and Brown has been established. If anything, Adam Thielen would be in my head right now. Especially since I was mentioning Julio to prop up Matt Ryan but yeah... He lives in MY head... :roll eyes:

this isnf a jones vs brown thread so ill just have this one thing to say... brown shoukd and will get the benefit of his elite play for the last however many years, however he hasnt been the same guy this year. honestly when looking at solely this year he pretty easily ranks outside the top 5.  

I'm a huge Julio fan but in terms of body of work, I'll say that Brown just edges Julio as the best WR in the NFL today (don't listen to the peanut gallery, the separation is not that big at all).  AB has always been better at getting the ball in the EZ than Julio no question, but in terms of yardage Julio is a more dependable receiver (Brown edges him in total yardage but Julio's averages and efficiency far surpass AB's) with Jones having 5 seasons with over 100 YPG to AB's 3 and 6 seasons with over 15 YPC compared to AB's 2.  Again, AB is the best WR in the league today (though definitely THIS season so far and you also have to consider the fact that AB has never had to play on a legitimately BAD team while Julio's 2013-2014 teams were awful), but Jones is the clear #2 and would be #1 if he were more of a scorer.

Back on-topic, I'm definitely not arguing for Matt Ryan as MVP this year (with their W/L record that's a non-starter), I just thought it was interesting how incredibly he has played so far in a lost season and that his performance has largely gone under the radar (while also being very similar to his 2016 MVP campaign).  I'd say he is having around the fifth best QB season in the league behind Mahomes, Brady, Brees, and Goff with still plenty of time to make up (or lose) ground.

8 hours ago, JustAnotherFan said:

SIS is SportsInfoSolutions

Pass pressure can be subjective depending who is charting them and what criteria is used. So more than likely that's where the difference in numbers are.

FYI: This is the criteria they use.

Yeah i fully agree on that being subjective without a doubt.  Needless to say none of those 3 teams  Houston, Arizona, or Atlanta have been great protecting their qb's this year at all.  Ours mostly bc of injuries + wes and Schraeder being junk this year.  I want a Lineman or 2 early in the draft or FA this coming offseason and not just so so ones i want high upside ones like round 2 or 3 and maybe our big FA get if we can afford one.  

Then look at the D-line with whatever else we have left over in the 1st few rounds and FA.

1 hour ago, GSUeagles14 said:

weird, cause our oline has been kinda crappy most of the year and yet hes been excellent. hes clearly been top 4-5 this year. plus ryans movement continues to improve, not sure if you want want mike vick back or what...

I said adequate pass blocking which hes gotten outside of the Philly, Pitt and NYG games. No surprise those were his three worst performances (Giants game wasn't bad though). 

Its no big deal Ryan's awesome, I just wouldn't label him elite. 

23 minutes ago, jarren said:

I said adequate pass blocking which hes gotten outside of the Philly, Pitt and NYG games. No surprise those were his three worst performances (Giants game wasn't bad though). 

Its no big deal Ryan's awesome, I just wouldn't label him elite. 

adequate by what standard, sacks only? and still doesnt change how well hes moved in the pocket this year....

13 hours ago, megatechpc said:

I'll say that Brown just edges Julio as the best WR in the NFL today

Skill wise it's not, in fact I'd give the edge to Julio. But the simple fact that Julio is unable to catch passes in the end zone is crippling to his resume. Whether it be fault of his own or the scheme. It's not a good look.

On 10/27/2018 at 9:30 AM, Activated10 said:

Yes the film and numbers prove it

If your production drops dramatically outdoors, on the road, then you're not a top 5 QB. Five of their seven games so far were at home. That's why he's looking so great right now. He's always been known as average when he's not playing in Atlanta.

His 5 games at home
77.1% completion pct
14 TDs / 1 INT
360 passing ypg
2 sacks per game

His 2 games on the road
58.6% completion pct
1 TD / 1 INT
268 passing ypg
5 sacks per game

I get the numbers aren't going to be as good on the road but damn... Outside of 2016, this is who he's always been. His production is going to drop dramatically in the 2nd half of the season and people are going to wonder why despite a decade of evidence.

4 minutes ago, Art_Vandalay said:

If your production drops dramatically outdoors, on the road, then you're not a top 5 QB. Five of their seven games so far were at home. That's why he's looking so great right now. He's always been known as average when he's not playing in Atlanta.

His 5 games at home
77.1% completion pct
14 TDs / 1 INT
360 passing ypg
2 sacks per game

His 2 games on the road
58.6% completion pct
1 TD / 1 INT
268 passing ypg
5 sacks per game

I get the numbers aren't going to be as good on the road but damn... Outside of 2016, this is who he's always been. His production is going to drop dramatically in the 2nd half of the season and people are going to wonder why despite a decade of evidence.

I need 2 more games. 2 games isn't enough of sample size, decent analysis though. 

Archived