Matt Ryan quietly having another MVP-like season...

megatechpc

2 hours ago, FinSting said:

Worst threads for Fins fans:

1) Drew Brees, the guy we could've signed

2) Matt Ryan, the guy we could've drafted with the #1 pick

With as much hate and vitriol as Ryan gets from NFL fans claiming how overrated he is, its nice to see posts from long suffering fans who would give their right arms to have had somebody like Matt Ryan as their QB.  He hasn't managed to deliver my own long suffering fanbase a SB title yet but I still am so incredibly grateful for the last 10 years of having a legitimate franchise QB to lean on each and every season after spending my entire life watching the likes of Chris Miller, Jeff George, Bobby Hebert, Billy Joe Tolliver, etc.  Even when we had Vick there was absolutely no confidence in his being able to deliver that crucial 3rd and long pass when it was needed most (he was just such an electrifying athlete with a cannon of an arm, only never knowing where on earth his passes were going to go).  Before Ryan, Chris Chandler was the closest we had had to a dependable and smart passer (Bartkowski was just a bit before my time) but he was always getting hurt and wasn't close to a franchise QB due to his age and only the one really great season he had.  To put Ryan's numbers into perspective for other Falcons fans, Chandler's incredible 1998 SB season (the only other SB season Atlanta has ever had) compared to Ryan's SB run:

Ryan (2016) ------- 69.9% - 4944 yds - 9.3 YPA - 309.0 YPG - 38 TD - 7 INT - 117.1 rating

Chandler (1998) - 58.1% - 3154 yds - 9.6 YPA - 225.3 YPG - 25 TD - 12 INT - 100.9 rating

2 hours ago, megatechpc said:

With as much hate and vitriol as Ryan gets from NFL fans claiming how overrated he is, its nice to see posts from long suffering fans who would give their right arms to have had somebody like Matt Ryan as their QB.  He hasn't managed to deliver my own long suffering fanbase a SB title yet but I still am so incredibly grateful for the last 10 years of having a legitimate franchise QB to lean on each and every season after spending my entire life watching the likes of Chris Miller, Jeff George, Bobby Hebert, Billy Joe Tolliver, etc.  Even when we had Vick there was absolutely no confidence in his being able to deliver that crucial 3rd and long pass when it was needed most (he was just such an electrifying athlete with a cannon of an arm, only never knowing where on earth his passes were going to go).  Before Ryan, Chris Chandler was the closest we had had to a dependable and smart passer (Bartkowski was just a bit before my time) but he was always getting hurt and wasn't close to a franchise QB due to his age and only the one really great season he had.  To put Ryan's numbers into perspective for other Falcons fans, Chandler's incredible 1998 SB season (the only other SB season Atlanta has ever had) compared to Ryan's SB run:

Ryan (2016) ------- 69.9% - 4944 yds - 9.3 YPA - 309.0 YPG - 38 TD - 7 INT - 117.1 rating

Chandler (1998) - 58.1% - 3154 yds - 9.6 YPA - 225.3 YPG - 25 TD - 12 INT - 100.9 rating

for one... i dont think too many educated nfl fans are calling ryan overrated. Secondly, you cant comapre between eras like that. completely different nfl.

12 hours ago, JustAnotherFan said:

FWIW, per SIS

The Falcons were ranked 19th in pressure rate allowed per dropback (29.4%) following week 5 and going into the Giants game and are now currently 16th with a 28.9% pressure rate. And poor Watson.....my goodness.

Week 6 Week 7
Team Press Rate Rank Team Press Rate Rank
HOU 39.20% 32 HOU 39.80% 32
ARI 36.00% 31 ARI 37.00% 31
DAL 35.40% 30 DAL 35.20% 30
MIN 34.90% 29 SF 33.10% 29
KC 33.30% 28 DEN 32.70% 28
SEA 31.70% 27 MIN 32.60% 27
DEN 31.60% 26 JAC 32.60% 26
BUF 30.80% 25 NYG 32.30% 25
JAC 30.80% 24 SEA 31.70% 24
PHI 30.40% 23 KC 31.70% 23
NYG 30.40% 22 TB 31.20% 22
ATL 29.40% 19 ATL 28.90% 16

Not sure what SIS is and im not sure what metric or sites witten got his info from although im guessing it was from something the nfl itself has done as they probably gave him the line as a pointer to say at some point a few times in the broadcast.  But it had us at 37% going into the giants game and was stated numerous of times.   Which would have had us right there with Houston and arizona for worst pretty much.  

8 hours ago, FalconFan13 said:

Not sure what SIS is and im not sure what metric or sites witten got his info from although im guessing it was from something the nfl itself has done as they probably gave him the line as a pointer to say at some point a few times in the broadcast.  But it had us at 37% going into the giants game and was stated numerous of times.   Which would have had us right there with Houston and arizona for worst pretty much.  

SIS is SportsInfoSolutions

Pass pressure can be subjective depending who is charting them and what criteria is used. So more than likely that's where the difference in numbers are.

FYI: This is the criteria they use.

Pressure rate accounts for all pass plays including scrambles but not including spikes. Plays cancelled by Defensive Pass Interference are also included. Plays count as having pressure in the following situations:

a) any pass or scramble charted with pressure by a specific defender, or "overall pressure",
b) any sack charted as "rusher untouched," "blown block," or "overall pressure",
c) any sack charted as "coverage sack" or "failed scramble," but only if these sacks are also charted with a specific defender giving pass pressure. (For example, a "coverage sack" can also have pressure if a specific defender forces the quarterback out of the pocket immediately, but the sack takes a lot longer because of the coverage.)

On 10/27/2018 at 12:08 PM, GSUeagles14 said:

if you want to get some laughs go look at that game thread...

Are we really going to pretend Ryan looked good against a crap Steelers Defense? While Julio had 2 or 3 drops that didn't help him and Sanu (IIRC) had another one or two, it's not like at any point in that game I was scared of Ryan's passing ability.

2 hours ago, BlaqOptic said:

Are we really going to pretend Ryan looked good against a crap Steelers Defense? While Julio had 2 or 3 drops that didn't help him and Sanu (IIRC) had another one or two, it's not like at any point in that game I was scared of Ryan's passing ability.

As someone else said, he doesn’t play well in that state, his home state. Whether it’s Philly or Pittsburgh, good defense or bad defense, just doesn’t do well. Sounds like a cop out excuse but history proves it. Maybe he just eats too much of moms good cookin the night before. Matt Ryan has been pretty lights out this year, hard to argue. 

2 hours ago, BlaqOptic said:

one game sample sizes for the win....  i mean cmon man, its just not smart.

4 hours ago, BlaqOptic said:

Julio has 1 drop on the year..... and it didn't come in the Steelers game. Its hella weird how much real estate he owns in your head. 

Also the Falcons oline was abused that game. Ryan's lack of mobility really hurt him. He's someone who needs adequate protection to excel which among a few other things is the reason why I don't consider him elite (although he's on that next tier). 

22 minutes ago, jarren said:

Julio has 1 drop on the year..... and it didn't come in the Steelers game. Its hella weird how much real estate he owns in your head. 

Also the Falcons oline was abused that game. Ryan's lack of mobility really hurt him. He's someone who needs adequate protection to excel which among a few other things is the reason why I don't consider him elite (although he's on that next tier). 

Has nothing to do with "real estate." While Stats LLC has him with one drop on the season he definitely had one on a pass thrown slightly behind him over the middle in the 2nd Quarter and another on a play that was technically a Pass Defensed from Hayden that very well could've been caught though. Has nothing to do with real estate in my head. The distinction between Jones and Brown has been established. If anything, Adam Thielen would be in my head right now. Especially since I was mentioning Julio to prop up Matt Ryan but yeah... He lives in MY head... :roll eyes:

1 hour ago, jarren said:

weird, cause our oline has been kinda crappy most of the year and yet hes been excellent. hes clearly been top 4-5 this year. plus ryans movement continues to improve, not sure if you want want mike vick back or what...

Archived