Matt Ryan quietly having another MVP-like season...

megatechpc

In this year of massive disappointment for all us Falcons fans due to incredible injury bad luck, I just thought I'd toss out there just how good a season Matt Ryan is having despite all the turmoil.  Nobody is really talking about it because the Falcons are 3-4 and can't stop anybody, but he's ahead of his MVP pace from 2016 in several categories and since the defense can't stop anybody, he will be forced to throw the ball all over the field the rest of the way.  Obviously Mahomes is still having the best year in terms of the MVP race right now, but Ryan leads the league in yardage with 2335, has 15 TD's to just 2 INT's, has a 71.1% completion percentage, and his rating is just 3 points shy of his MVP season at 114.2.  Oh, and his YPA is 8.9 which is near tops in the league (along with basically all his other major stats). 

Eh, just looking for some sort of silver lining for 2018...

I'll be completely honest, Matt Ryan has really impressed me this season the way he's dealt with the adversity of the team since the season started.  He's been given the best passing game weapons of his career but still has no real running game to fall back on with Freeman being hurt and ultimately landing on IR, and yet aside from the Week 1 goose egg and the Steelers game, he's put up huge performances every single week.  At this point in time, you can't even really put his success on guys being schemed open.  He's legitimately played up to the level of his contract and I think it's very possible the Falcons are a championship contender again next season when their defense is back up to par with Jones and Neal returning.  Given that their offensive side of the ball is more than set, I wouldn't be surprised to see them go defense heavy in the upcoming draft

Not yet certainly.  They'll have to do a LOT more than beat the Bucs and Giants moving forward to crawl back into the playoff hunt, but if Ryan can maintain this level and the offense can get over 30 PPG the rest of the way they'll have a look at it.  I just feel that (having watched their preseason defense playing week in and week out) they aren't going to be able to stop anybody consistently enough to make their way out of the 1-4 hole they put themselves into.  Had they had a little luck in the Eagles, Saints, and Bengals games they could easily be 6-1 right now as they had chances at the end of all of those games to get the win but it just wasn't to be.  They do get Jones back for the Dallas game I think so that will help a lot, but they still have NO starting safeties to orchestrate the secondary and its killing them time and time again.

48 minutes ago, footbull3196 said:

I'll be completely honest, Matt Ryan has really impressed me this season the way he's dealt with the adversity of the team since the season started.  He's been given the best passing game weapons of his career but still has no real running game to fall back on with Freeman being hurt and ultimately landing on IR, and yet aside from the Week 1 goose egg and the Steelers game, he's put up huge performances every single week.  At this point in time, you can't even really put his success on guys being schemed open.  He's legitimately played up to the level of his contract and I think it's very possible the Falcons are a championship contender again next season when their defense is back up to par with Jones and Neal returning.  Given that their offensive side of the ball is more than set, I wouldn't be surprised to see them go defense heavy in the upcoming draft

Offense really needs to get some O-lineman in here badly.  The most impressive thing to me for Ryan is how he is handling such a crappy o-line right now he is getting absolutely destroyed back there as he is getting pressured on 37% of his drop backs which is the most in the league to this point.  We are down both starting OG's and our backup OG in Wes Scweitzer is a steaming pile of dung and to make matters worse our starting RT Ryan Schraeder who until this year has been a top 5 or so quality RT and deserving of a pro bowl nod atleast once has somehow turned into possibly the worst lineman on our team competing with Wes.     We literally have Mack and Matthews playing above avg ball and the rest being carried.

Next years draft and FA if we can we need 2 pick up atleast 2 solid to above avg lineman maybe 1 in the early rounds and 1 in FA if possible.   Then look at Edge Rusher/DT/LB with other picks.

1 minute ago, FalconFan13 said:

Offense really needs to get some O-lineman in here badly.  The most impressive thing to me for Ryan is how he is handling such a crappy o-line right now he is getting absolutely destroyed back there as he is getting pressured on 37% of his drop backs which is the most in the league to this point.  We are down both starting OG's and our backup OG in Wes Scweitzer is a steaming pile of dung and to make matters worse our starting RT Ryan Schraeder who until this year has been a top 5 or so quality RT and deserving of a pro bowl nod atleast once has somehow turned into possibly the worst lineman on our team competing with Wes.     We literally have Mack and Matthews playing above avg ball and the rest being carried.

Next years draft and FA if we can we need 2 pick up atleast 2 solid to above avg lineman maybe 1 in the early rounds and 1 in FA if possible.   Then look at Edge Rusher/DT/LB with other picks.

I was actually thinking that guard play might be a problem for you guys going forward.  Still, think it might be more of a priority to find an edge rusher since you guys rank near the bottom of the league in sacks.  It's the best remedy for the secondary even with Jones and Neal returning next season.  Beasley doesnt seem to be the same guy that led the league in sacks a couple of years ago, even if his niche in the defense has changed recently.  He just didnt play that great last season either

Beasley is having an awful season, there's no doubt about it.  Last year he was banged up a lot but I really expected him to bounce back this year and get after the QB.  Hasn't happened.  Takk, however, may be coming into his own this year.  He already has nearly as many sacks as he did last year and has been one of the few disruptive presences on the DLine so far.  I think Beasley is a talented pass rusher but he really needs to turn it around in the second half or the Falcons will again be looking for another one in the draft.

Good points about the OL above.  Losing Fusco really hurt and I don't know what is wrong with Shraeder (he had played so well up til now).  It just sucks because the original starting OL (when healthy) is actually one of the better units in the NFL, or at least had been.  But they have fallen prey to the injury plague the entire team is suffering from, losing both starting Guards.  Garland hasn't been awful but Schweitzer is just plain bad.  Matt Ryan has played incredibly well considering the pressure he's been under (both in terms of hits and sacks, but also because he's going into every drive knowing they have to score to keep pace).

Actually Fusco has been almost as bad as Schraeder has this year although Wes who has played less snaps than both of them by a few games has pretty much caught up to them in bad play.  I really thought Fusco would come in and do solid with Mack and Schraeder surrounding him but not at all for the most part.   Garland when he's gotten the chance i think has outplayed both Wes and Fusco over the last 2 seasons. Wes last year and was better in this last game than Fusco has looked most of this season.

Ryan's having a great year. Unfortunately with a 6-0 team and a 5-1 team where you have Mahomes, Goff, and Gurley as bonafide MVP candidates it's going to take a slump from them to give anyone else a shot. Brees is also playing out of his mind and the odds have him at 3rd right now despite his team having a good record.

8 hours ago, FalconFan13 said:

The most impressive thing to me for Ryan is how he is handling such a crappy o-line right now he is getting absolutely destroyed back there as he is getting pressured on 37% of his drop backs which is the most in the league to this point.

This can't be right - Deshaun Watson was under pressure nearly 50% at a time, and the game vs the Dolphins was the only game where he wasn't pressured.

Source on this data?

Archived