Week 9: Lions (3-4) at VIKINGS (4-3-1)

swede700

The Vikings should be able to exploit one of the worst defenses in the NFL this year in the Lions. How many total yards will they have against the Lions?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. The Vikings should be able to exploit one of the worst defenses in the NFL this year in the Lions. How many total yards will they have against the Lions?

• 0 - 245 yds (avg total yards vs. Lions in Zimmer's first year)
    • 246 - 335 yds (avg vs. Lions in Zimmer era)
    • 336 - 362 yds (avg vs Lions in 2017)
    • 363 - 404 yds (avg. vs Lions in 2015)
    • 404+ yds

37 minutes ago, Nozizaki said:

Bye week is huge. All things considered, we've been decently fortunate with injuries this year. Yes, we have been decimated, but we were relatively healthy this year and we were more likely to sustain key injuries. The fact that so few have been season ending, and we will get most, if not all guys back in some capacity before the end of the season is huge. Reiff is going to bolster the O-Line a ton. Sendejo has been out most of the season, and we've improved on the back end. And, perhaps most notably, we haven't missed Anthony Barr. At all.

Yep. Money for Richardson if the Vikings choose. I've seen Eric Wilson moving all over the place and playing pretty well. No reason to keep Barr imo.

33 minutes ago, TENINCH said:

Yep. Money for Richardson if the Vikings choose. I've seen Eric Wilson moving all over the place and playing pretty well. No reason to keep Barr imo.

I think they can certainly survive without Barr, but when healthy, he still makes the defense better, because he can do things physically that Wilson just can't do and never will be able to do.  

Four of Minnesota’s ten sacks came after Detroit drove into the red zone, stalling time and again as the Lions had to settle for three Matt Prater field goals after accumulating a trivial 209 total yards. The defensive turnaround is building momentum at an opportune time as the Vikings won the opener of a three-game stretch against division opponents. Since Week 4, Minnesota has held opponents to a 78.0 passer rating and racked up 20 sacks, most in the NFL.

https://www.twincities.com/2018/11/04/vikings-everson-griffen-starting-to-play-like-his-old-self/

Just now, swede700 said:

I think they can certainly survive without Barr, but when healthy, he still makes the defense better, because he can do things physically that Wilson just can't do and never will be able to do.  

That's fine and I know we'll be sacrificing some things. I'd rather keep Richardson though and draft BPA like Coney out of Notre Dame.

1 hour ago, TENINCH said:

I agree 1000%.

1 hour ago, VikeManDan said:

I agree, unfortunately, people still probably have a bad taste in their mouth from the Packers game that they're unwilling to let go of. 

The thing to note is what happened on 4th down. Last week 4th and 1 pass to Treadwell is broken up by Marshon Lattimore.

This week, Treadwell isn't on the field and the pass on 4th and 2 goes to Beebe, who is matched up with Darius Slay.

17 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

Unfortunately I did not see this play. From what I've heard some credit needs to be given to Lattimore for making a play on the ball.

I think it was a combo of things....

1. Should have never have went for it to begin with
2. Lattimore made a nice play
3. Treadwell needs to use his big body to shield the ball 
4. Ball should probably have been thrown lower to Treadwell with the defender behind him. That's a completion if it's around waist high or lower and Lattimore can't get his hands over the top of Treadwell.

38 minutes ago, Nozizaki said:

The thing to note is what happened on 4th down. Last week 4th and 1 pass to Treadwell is broken up by Marshon Lattimore.

And yet, nothing about the failure of that play was on Treadwell. The defender just made a great play. 

16 minutes ago, Vikes_Bolts1228 said:

3. Treadwell needs to use his big body to shield the ball 
4. Ball should probably have been thrown lower to Treadwell with the defender behind him. That's a completion if it's around waist high or lower and Lattimore can't get his hands over the top of Treadwell.

These points pretty much contradict each other. There was really no way for Treadwell to use his body to shield that pass with where Cousins put the ball. 

3 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

And yet, nothing about the failure of that play was on Treadwell. The defender just made a great play. 

These points pretty much contradict each other. There was really no way for Treadwell to use his body to shield that pass with where Cousins put the ball. 

Well #3 doesn't happen if it's #4. Kinda my point. None of it happens if it's #1.

But there's certainly receivers who "box out" the defender by jumping up when making a catch like that so it's more in the chest. Or maybe I'm remembering it wrong and he did jump up. I just recall thinking "Damn, he needs to use his big ol' body to make that catch."

4 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

It isn't Treadwell's fault, but a much more agile receiver, like Beebe, is able to gain so much separation that not even Jalen Ramsey can make a break on the pass.

On an unrelated note: I honestly thought Cousins had his worst game of the season yesterday, and the Vikings still won.

11 minutes ago, Nozizaki said:

On an unrelated note: I honestly thought Cousins had his worst game of the season yesterday, and the Vikings still won.

The interception was pretty ugly, but other then that...We were not asking for much from Cousins yesterday because our run game was on target.   His game yesterday does not even compare to his Buffalo game earlier in the year.   

The Vikings defense has been no stranger to sacking Matt Stafford over the years, but Sunday’s 10 spot marked a historic performance that topped four separate games with 9.0 sacks. Three of those performances were during the reign of the Purple People Eaters, and the most recent such performance occurred in 1993.

Beyond the takedowns of Stafford while the quarterback was still holding the football, press box statisticians counted 17 hits on the former No. 1 overall pick. That stood in stark contrast to the day that Kirk Cousins had. Ezekiel Ansah recorded the lone hit of Cousins during Detroit’s only sack of the game.

In addition to recording three sacks on first downs, one on a second-and-5 and another on a third-and-4, the Vikings had five sacks when the Lions needed 8 or more yards, including a pair of third-and-13s. 

https://www.vikings.com/news/3-stats-that-stood-out-lions-at-vikings

Archived