Ranking Browns Coaches since 1999

NateDawg

Who is it?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite

2. 2. Least Favorite

How do you rank them? Favorites, least favorites, most and least successful.

Yes, I know, none have actually been successful here. What’s your order look like?

Listed for me in order of favorites:

1. Butch Davis

2. Rob Chudzinski

3. Romeo Crennel

4. Eric Mangini

5. Pat Shurmur

6. Chris Palmer

7. Mike Pettine

8. Hue Jackson

*Terry Robiskie/Gregggg Williams excluded, due to interim status/sample size

I had Rob Chudzinski as my favorite.

I loved how he got experienced coaches to run the offense and defense.

I loved his aggressiveness and he seemed to be well liked and respected by the players.

I was PISSED when we fired him.  I thought we gave him absolutely no shot at succeeding...

I REALLY don't like Hue Jackson, he may be my least favorite person we have had, but he still I believe isn't as bad a head coach as Pat Shurmer is/was.

He didn't know how to talk to the media, didn't seem to know how to work with coaches or players, didn't know how to gameplan, didn't know when to call timeouts or throw flags. 

What he's doing in New York is just proving to me how bad he is....He was what we thought he was...

9 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

1. Butch Davis

2. Rob Chudzinski

Yep.

3. Romeo Crennel

4. Eric Mangini

5. Pat Shurmur

These three are 3-5, but idgaf about the order, they’re all about equal.

6. Chris Palmer

He let Couch get killed.

7. Mike Pettine

I felt bad for him being hindered by having his hand forced with JFF, but he wasn’t good.  The defenses were atrocious.

8. Hue Jackson

Probably some recency bias here, but his never ending excuses were tiresome.

Chudzinski seemed to at least have a clue about offense as a coordinator and was likeable. Unfortunately, there was such a limited sample there, and his HC abilities to me are a real unknown. I felt bad for him when Heehaw came in and cut him loose. 

Butch got us to our only playoffs. He made some Bizzarre personnel decisions with his additional control. But as a personality, I liked him more than anyone else. We’ve surely had some doozies. 

Those early days ruined Couch, and Palmer played a part. 

19 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

How do you rank them? Favorites, least favorites, most and least successful.

Yes, I know, none have actually been successful here. What’s your order look like?

Listed for me in order of favorites:

1. Butch Davis

2. Rob Chudzinski

3. Romeo Crennel

4. Eric Mangini

5. Pat Shurmur

6. Chris Palmer

7. Mike Pettine

8. Hue Jackson

*Terry Robiskie/Gregggg Williams excluded, due to interim status/sample size

This is close to my list.  I just wish they wouldn't have let Butch handle the roster as well.  I think he could have been a great coach for Cleveland.

Palmer/Pettine/Jackson would be co-last place for me.  Jackson may have the edge because he is a moron and can't accept any blame. 

Butch Davis is overrated as F. The guy signed a bunch of veterans that set us up for cap hell. He road vets to the playoff in an incredibly weak year for the AFC and AFC North. He ruined Tim Couch with how he handled the QB situation. He butchered the draft process worse than anyone we have had except Ray Farmer. He had a huge ego that lead to the bad drafting because he had to have himself Butch guys. He kept certain players on the back end of the roster even though they weren't the best 53 just to be his spy in the locker room. Took defensive play calling duties away from Foge Fazio at half time and lead an epic playoff collapse to Pittsburgh.

We haven't had any good coaches but there is no way in hell that retard should be as respect as the best as he is around here. Sure he made the playoffs but it was not his coaching skills that made the playoffs.

3 minutes ago, TheeRealDeal said:

Butch Davis is overrated as F. The guy signed a bunch of veterans that set us up for cap hell. He road vets to the playoff in an incredibly weak year for the AFC and AFC North. He ruined Tim Couch with how he handled the QB situation. He butchered the draft process worse than anyone we have had except Ray Farmer. He had a huge ego that lead to the bad drafting because he had to have himself Butch guys. He kept certain players on the back end of the roster even though they weren't the best 53 just to be his spy in the locker room. Took defensive play calling duties away from Foge Fazio at half time and lead an epic playoff collapse to Pittsburgh.

We haven't had any good coaches but there is no way in hell that retard should be as respect as the best as he is around here. Sure he made the playoffs but it was not his coaching skills that made the playoffs.

He had personality. No one is arguing he was Bill Belichick. I just have him as more likeable than the rest. Just my perspective. From a personnel perspective, he was awful. He had too much control. He’s not exactly in company of the seven pillars here. Eye of the beholder here. 

7 minutes ago, TheeRealDeal said:

He may have had us in cap hell.  But if he didn't have final say on the roster he would have done well.  No coach is close to is 24–35 record (not that record should be celebrated), but it's the best we've had since we came back.

I think arguing he was one of the worst with the cap or draft, then you would probably have quite a few people agree with you.  Strictly as the head coach, I don't think any of the other guys are better.

Likeable to who? I hated the man from day 1. I was a school age kid who saw his ego jumping out of his mouth with every word he spoke. I saw it in many of his moves. He would go against conventional wisdom and do something else just because it was his way and no one else's. That wasn't likeable in the least. 

Honestly, Palmer and Chud are the only two coaches I can think of that were likeable guys. Romeo Crennel if you want to factor in players. He was clearly a players coach. Palmer and Chud were likeable guys but they were never going to succeed. Also, I don't really care about likability in my head coach. If he is likeable then it is just a bonus. 

2 minutes ago, OttoGrahamsGhost said:

He may have had us in cap hell.  But if he didn't have final say on the roster he would have done well.  No coach is close to is 24–35 record (not that record should be celebrated), but it's the best we've had since we came back.

I think arguing he was one of the worst with the cap or draft, then you would probably have quite a few people agree with you.  Strictly as the head coach, I don't think any of the other guys are better.

Good head coaches don't strip a DC of his duties at half time of a playoff game when defense had given up 3 points. Good head coaches don't take the responsibility and then turn around and fail in epic fashion.

1 minute ago, TheeRealDeal said:

Good head coaches don't strip a DC of his duties at half time of a playoff game when defense had given up 3 points. Good head coaches don't take the responsibility and then turn around and fail in epic fashion.

I'm sure he's made questionable judgement and I don't remember a whole lot about what went on (except it was 17-7 at half and we lost to the Steelers three times that year by a total of 9 points) .  But looking back, I liked him when he came in.  I still think the main issue was letting him control the roster.  He, in my mind, has been the best of the bunch. 

9 minutes ago, OttoGrahamsGhost said:

I'm sure he's made questionable judgement and I don't remember a whole lot about what went on (except it was 17-7 at half and we lost to the Steelers three times that year by a total of 9 points) .  But looking back, I liked him when he came in.  I still think the main issue was letting him control the roster.  He, in my mind, has been the best of the bunch. 

Sums it up for me. 

Even with the valid arguments against him, who exactly has been better here? I can’t point to anyone. 

Butch Davis was around before I became a big fan of the Browns, but he seems like the best (or the least bad) one we've had. Since I've been a big fan, Chud was the best. Haslem really F'd up by firing him after one year when he really didn't deserve to be. No guarantee that he would have worked out long-term, but there's no doubt in my mind that he got screwed over.

Hue was probably the worst. Say what you want about the lack of talent he had to start off with, but I'd say those rosters were still more talented than the expansion team Browns, yet they still won more games. Last year's team should not have gone 0-16 based on the talent level of the roster. They went 0-16 because of atrocious QB play and because Hue is an absolute buffoon.

Archived