BDL Proposal & Feedback

ny92mike

2 hours ago, Whicker said:

For the record, updating my depth chart really wouldn't be helpful IMO. I decide on my depth chart the minute I sit down to write my plan and it changes based on matchup and my weekly feelings. I usually don't do this until Saturday night/Sunday morning when I have the most info possible. If you want the most up to date chart for my team, my previous gameplan is the only source. 

2 hours ago, Whicker said:

Let me better try to explain myself. 

This looks great. I understand the benefits of the things that are presented. 

It would not make my experience in BDL any better and I will not use its functions. That's not a criticism of any specifics. That's just the nature of how I do my business in BDL. 

Not saying this is for everyone.  I know some are set in their ways of doing things and refuse to change.  What I offer isn't something that everyone is forced to use, just a means of making things easier for those that see the benefits in it.

Take the depth chart, I won't even post a depth chart in the forum because it changes weekly and just typing it out is cumbersome, while others may enjoy doing this, I don't.  I prefer using google docs for everything, and understand how they work.  While it sounds like you either keep track of it in your head or on paper.

2 minutes ago, ny92mike said:

Not saying this is for everyone.  I know some are set in their ways of doing things and refuse to change.  What I offer isn't something that everyone is forced to use, just a means of making things easier for those that see the benefits in it.

Take the depth chart, I won't even post a depth chart in the forum because it changes weekly and just typing it out is cumbersome, while others may enjoy doing this, I don't.  I prefer using google docs for everything, and understand how they work.  While it sounds like you either keep track of it in your head or on paper.

I think he's also confusing the regular depth chart with the lineup that gets submitted each week. It's common courtesy to have a standard depth chart for teams to look at, that doesn't mean it's necessarily the line up that comes out, but it's a guide line.

3 minutes ago, Jlash said:

I think he's also confusing the regular depth chart with the lineup that gets submitted each week. It's common courtesy to have a standard depth chart for teams to look at, that doesn't mean it's necessarily the line up that comes out, but it's a guide line.

I thought that too, but I think he was really just saying, I don't care how you dress this up, I'm not using it...lol

@Whicker said;

It would not make my experience in BDL any better and I will not use its functions

1 hour ago, ny92mike said:

I thought that too, but I think he was really just saying, I don't care how you dress this up, I'm not using it...lol

@Whicker said;

It would not make my experience in BDL any better and I will not use its functions

Yes.

This thread was for our opinions and feedback. I'm not going to blow off taking a look at the work you've done and appreciating it. I didn't want to not post in this thread at all with nothing said because that's not fair to you. I'm also not going to lie and act like this is the thing that's going to make me use these functions, because once next year comes around and I don't update it, I look lazy and disingenuous. Therefore, I'm left with the truth. This looks great and I have no criticisms, but I am not going to use it.

17 hours ago, Whicker said:

Yes.

This thread was for our opinions and feedback. I'm not going to blow off taking a look at the work you've done and appreciating it. I didn't want to not post in this thread at all with nothing said because that's not fair to you. I'm also not going to lie and act like this is the thing that's going to make me use these functions, because once next year comes around and I don't update it, I look lazy and disingenuous. Therefore, I'm left with the truth. This looks great and I have no criticisms, but I am not going to use it.

Right, opinions and feedback is what I want to hear.  It's what we all want to hear, the last thing I want to do is create all of this and no one use it.  So I appreciate you commenting on this topic.

You're saying you aren't interested in using these features, but if I could get you to say why it would be greatly appreciated.  Also, if it is just the team workbook that you have no interest in messing with or is it the entire thing; master workbook, draft board, etc.

I understand that people have their own way of doing things and don't care to change how they operate.  If you could provide me more information on why you wouldn't use these features, perhaps its the layout, or thinking it would create more work for you or it might be something as simple as you like the current process and don't agree with changing anything about it.

Thanks man.

3 hours ago, SirA1 said:

You had asked about what I used so I created a copy and removed some confidential tabs like Draft stuff that I already put notes on for 2019.

I actually enjoy manually updating the stats about every 2-3 weeks. It makes me happy.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/180nkrsQeVtAjUgE_UxlB2Ac1bn6bwGdAZ4Y99cKWqe0/edit?usp=sharing

Thanks for posting. 

I like it.  You can tell you definitely put some work into this.

I like how you included ranking and stats.  Was looking at ways to include this information myself, however I was stuck on thinking I wouldn't have the space to house it all on one sheet but looking at your WB adding the extra sheets doesn't clutter it at all.  

We could provide this to everyone and automate it, so that formulas are used to match player names with stat and grade data, but it would need to be something that we'd be willing to commit to updating each week by copying and pasting stats and pff grades each week, not sure how much you guys are willing to do each week.  Definitely something to add to the discussion or we could simply include some blank sheets to be used for owners to do this if they wanted.

11 hours ago, ny92mike said:

Right, opinions and feedback is what I want to hear.  It's what we all want to hear, the last thing I want to do is create all of this and no one use it.  So I appreciate you commenting on this topic.

You're saying you aren't interested in using these features, but if I could get you to say why it would be greatly appreciated.  Also, if it is just the team workbook that you have no interest in messing with or is it the entire thing; master workbook, draft board, etc.

I understand that people have their own way of doing things and don't care to change how they operate.  If you could provide me more information on why you wouldn't use these features, perhaps its the layout, or thinking it would create more work for you or it might be something as simple as you like the current process and don't agree with changing anything about it.

Thanks man.

It has nothing to do with anything specific on the spreadsheet. It has everything to do with how I operate in BDL.

I literally have no idea what you and JLash are talking about with the depth charts. I have no idea what my depth chart looks like until I sit down to write my gameplan outside of things that people shouldn't have to look (such as Cam is my starting QB). Is Adrian Amos or Jordan Poyer my starting SS? I couldn't tell you; look at my previous gameplan and take your best guess. That's not me being mean or lazy or unwilling to tell you; I just do not know. I will be unwilling to update my depth chart because I do so every single week when I make my gameplan. I have never updated my depth chart in this league, and I've visited the depth chart thread exactly three times now.

I do not utilize trade blocks. My philosophy is: If a guy is unlocked, he's tradeable. Everyone has their price. I just looked and Melvin Gordon wasn't on Sydney's trade block. I was in talks with you about Mahomes before you made your trade block announcement. I don't think Rodney Hudson was on Singapore's trade block. Approximately half of each person's team is locked. IMO it's not hard for me to say "Oh. I want a stud playmaker. Melvin Gordon is a stud playmaker with two years left on his contract is unlocked. Here goes my PM." without looking beyond the normal roster spreadsheet.

In the current form of the spreadsheet, I only use Player Database, Schedule, and team roster tabs. I'll also look at what picks everyone owns when I'm in trade talks with them. Otherwise, everything I keep is handwritten. I have a notebook where I keep all my BDL notes. I'll hand write my big board during the draft and hand write all of my notes when I'm scouting. I'll draw people's lineups and coverages when I'm writing my gameplans and/or voting. Writing things down helps with my memory, helps keep me organized, and allows me a lot more flexibility when taking notes or making a draft board.

12 hours ago, Whicker said:

It has nothing to do with anything specific on the spreadsheet. It has everything to do with how I operate in BDL.

I literally have no idea what you and JLash are talking about with the depth charts. I have no idea what my depth chart looks like until I sit down to write my gameplan outside of things that people shouldn't have to look (such as Cam is my starting QB). Is Adrian Amos or Jordan Poyer my starting SS? I couldn't tell you; look at my previous gameplan and take your best guess. That's not me being mean or lazy or unwilling to tell you; I just do not know. I will be unwilling to update my depth chart because I do so every single week when I make my gameplan. I have never updated my depth chart in this league, and I've visited the depth chart thread exactly three times now.

I do not utilize trade blocks. My philosophy is: If a guy is unlocked, he's tradeable. Everyone has their price. I just looked and Melvin Gordon wasn't on Sydney's trade block. I was in talks with you about Mahomes before you made your trade block announcement. I don't think Rodney Hudson was on Singapore's trade block. Approximately half of each person's team is locked. IMO it's not hard for me to say "Oh. I want a stud playmaker. Melvin Gordon is a stud playmaker with two years left on his contract is unlocked. Here goes my PM." without looking beyond the normal roster spreadsheet.

In the current form of the spreadsheet, I only use Player Database, Schedule, and team roster tabs. I'll also look at what picks everyone owns when I'm in trade talks with them. Otherwise, everything I keep is handwritten. I have a notebook where I keep all my BDL notes. I'll hand write my big board during the draft and hand write all of my notes when I'm scouting. I'll draw people's lineups and coverages when I'm writing my gameplans and/or voting. Writing things down helps with my memory, helps keep me organized, and allows me a lot more flexibility when taking notes or making a draft board.

The depth chart that we are talking about would replace what many of the owners are doing in the BDL Rosters/Depth Chart/ Trade Block thread in the forum.

So rather than updating the information in this thread, it would be done in the team workbook.  Which if using the workbook would make it easier to maintain and for others to view.

Everyone has their way of searching out trades, so not everyone would use this but I implemented this in my last mock draft and it was a big hit.  Not everyone used it, but the majority did and those that did, seemed to have more success with finding trading partners.  At the minimum, the team workbook would make it easier to quickly view other team rosters.

Based on what you currently are using in the current spreadsheet, this information would be easier to access.  As I've mentioned before, these team workbooks will be designed to make things easier with several features that you can use or not use, the design isn't to force you to use all of these features but a system that you pick and choose what you want to use.

Appreciate the feedback.

Here is a sample of how things can be linked to websites to provide updating without doing anything.

This workbook shows the current listing of the IR based on the website Spotrac.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/injured-reserve/

Using formulas to link to this website, we can provide up to date information to the master/ team workbooks without doing anything.  I know over the past that not all the IR listings are updated in a timely manner, this example would resolve much of the manual updating required of us.

I set this workbook up so that you can select from the drop down list to view the IR reports just as you'd view them in the spotrac link.  This information could then be linked to the player database, so that when players are added to IR or other things such as team changes and salary cap information could be updated without us doing anything manual.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1rHcTdy59zhMi0PcIDY1qphfCnnBIh77qupLVyUMieCg/edit?usp=sharing

I'd be fine with moving the Depth Chart functionality to the Main/Team Work Books as it may get a few more people updating them and would free up a thread as well.

I like updating mine weekly. Not everyone does though. 

6 hours ago, bcb1213 said:

No, cause the ones we have are from people gaming the easy systems 

Maybe I'm in the minority with thinking that keeping track of who has bids on them and tracking the highest bidding team within the forum is difficult.  I think the process could be done up better while preserving most of the current structure with only some minor changes to the clock resetting after every additional bid. 

Here is a copy of the guidelines, the text in red are ones that are I'm struggling with to make work.

Unrestricted Free Agents (UFA)
BDL Free Agency occurs much later than they NFL because we like it that way, Normally starts the end of May/Early June. This gives time for all the contracts to settle down and also teams to add those last few pieces they need for the upcoming year.

The 2019 FA Schedule (on a rotating basis)

1. OL/QB - The Essentials Week 
  2. DB/DL/LB - Defense Week
  3. RB/TE/WR/FB - Skill Players Week

Basic Rules

• Free Agent Deals and Restructures can range from 2 to 5 years.
  • If a multiple year contract the lowest yearly salary is $501
  • A team’s active bids may not exceed the salary cap.
  • In FA a player will continue to be bid on until 48 hours has elapsed from the previous bid. The initial bid has to be within the week of that position groups free agency period. 

If an offer stands for 48 hours without a new bid then that player will automatically be signed by the winning team and locked on to your roster for the current year. You cannot take a bid back so please bid accordingly and make sure you have the cap space. Please try not to edit your posts as we will be using the timestamp for bid verification. If you do edit your edit time will be the official start time of the bid.

The League Minimum is $501 per year. In FA a player will continue to be bid on until 48 hours has elapsed from the previous bid. The initial bid has to be within the week of that position groups free agency period. Any bid on a player has to maintain a 40% basis of their real life salary

Note:  Having a fixed 48 hour clock, that starts the moment of the initial bid, and closes exactly 48 hours later would allow the free agency to be totally automated.  You've already got the rule in place that prevents a bid from being removed and with providing an easy way of viewing and submitting bids.  Owners would get awarded players at a faster rate which from my experience allows for better offseason free agent game planning. 

Any bids on FA players must be a minimum of 2 years. 
Any bid on a player has to maintain a 50% basis of their real life salary
To be a 4 year contract, salary has to be greater than $1,500
To be a 5 year contract, salary has to be greater than $2,000 and maintain a 60% basis of their real life salary.

Question:  Not sure which percentage number is correct as it list two different numbers pertaining to "Any bid on a player has to maintain a 50% basis of their real life salary" the sentence in bold black says, 40%.

This rule imo creates additional work for everyone; first with the owners on every single bid they place and again with the members policing each bid made.  Using the linked Spotrac player data could potentially provide this information and for the players it doesn't I'd be willing to manually enter this data into the workbook.  

I'm proposing to change the 48 hr clock that resets after each bid to a simple fixed clock that starts at the time of the initial bid and closes 48 hrs later and providing an extra column in the free agent listing that provides everyone with the players real life salary.

To solve the issue with last minute bidding, we simply place a percentage amount in relation to how much time is remaining on the clock, so that the later you wait to place the counter bid, the higher the counter offer must be.

For example, if the highest bid placed is 5,000.  and there is 24 hours left on the clock it would only cost 250 to outbid, but for every hour under say 24 hours a percentage is applied to either the highest offer or to the amount required to outbid.  We'd obviously need to figure out these percentages and at what point in time these figures are applied, but if we were to say; apply 1% to the amount required to outbid the highest offer, in this example $250.  If someone were to sneak in at the last minute, they would need to make an offer of $8,254 if the highest bid was $5,000.  If it was 4 hours from the deadline, they would need to offer $6,792 total.  

The workbook sheet would also provide all of this information, so the need to calculate what the next highest bid is done using formulas and visible.

If I get some free time over the next few days, I'll provide a sample workbook, but I don't believe that making the proposed changes would damage what you guys have created, but it would definitely make it easier to manage and track each bid.

Archived