BDL Proposal & Feedback

ny92mike

6 hours ago, ny92mike said:

@bcb1213

Hey man...Do you have more information on the draft.

Looked in the guidelines and not seeing what I'm looking for.

How much time do we have to make each pick?  Does it vary by round?

Also, do we have an exact date for when it kicks off?

Will the cap hit change from last years?

Do you have a certain person assigned to keeping track of all of this?

Bcb is level five drunk.  He abswerrg to more e

16 hours ago, ny92mike said:

@bcb1213

Hey man...Do you have more information on the draft.

Looked in the guidelines and not seeing what I'm looking for.

How much time do we have to make each pick?  Does it vary by round?

Also, do we have an exact date for when it kicks off?

Will the cap hit change from last years?

Do you have a certain person assigned to keeping track of all of this?

Date we normally determine after the season 

Any cap changes would happen at the year end meeting 

Other questions can likely be answered by looking in last year's thread 

If you have the option of hyperlinking either the spotrac contract details or the players nfl stats to the players name which would you prefer?

The current layout list some of the contract info on players assigned to a team but not all.

This is what you'd get if it were spotrac linked.

Position Player Name Age Exp. BDL Team Salary Years left Roster status NFL Status (Spotrac) NFL Team (Spotrac) Avg. Salary (Spotrac) Expires (Spotrac) Newest IRL Contract (Spotrac)
QB Derek Carr 27 5 Singapore Sentinels $25,000 5   Active Oakland Raiders $25,000,000 2023 5 yr $125,000,000
QB Drew Brees 39 18 Rome Eternals $21,250 2 Signed - 3 Up Active New Orleans Saints $25,000,000 2020 2 yr $50,000,000
QB Russell Wilson 30 7 Hawaii Nightmarchers $20,001 4   Active Seattle Seahawks $21,900,000 2020 4 yr $87,600,000

I'm torn, because I think during the offseason having the link to spotrac would be awesome, but during the season I really enjoy having the link to stats as it makes it really easy to see how players are doing when making game plans.

What do you guys think?

With the amount of detail you guys have in this sim using player stats, irl status and real contract information, why aren't we using two types of salary; base and signing bonus that can actually change from year to year?

Since the contracts are avg per year regardless the number of years being offered and with the current 3Down rule in place, does it really matter how many years you give the player?  This is my first real BDL season, and perhaps I've not taken into account everything but in looking over my roster I plan to make some cuts on some high priced players w/o any cap penalty.  Owners know this so as long as they can afford the player the current year, the future years of the contract doesn't really matter so much.  Having a base and signing bonus and using the NFL rules for releasing players would force owners to focus on the future money more, providing a more realistic cap.  Contracts would take into consideration the players age, too young or too old would play a factor into how much and for how long a contract is structured.  Using the irl nfl rules for releasing players, with signing bonus money being accelerated to the current year when releasing them would provide a much more realistic way of managing the cap, could even incorporate the top 51 rule during the off season.

@bcb1213

@Counselor

@DingoLadd

@Hockey5djh

@Jlash

@MD4L

@pheltzbahr

@PR

@Ragnarok

@RuskieTitan

@SirA1

@SwoleXmad

@TedLavie

@WFLukic

@Whicker

18 hours ago, ny92mike said:

If you have the option of hyperlinking either the spotrac contract details or the players nfl stats to the players name which would you prefer?

Spotrac. I wouldn't use the NFL page for anything. If I do stats its normally through profootball reference

5 hours ago, ny92mike said:

With the amount of detail you guys have in this sim using player stats, irl status and real contract information, why aren't we using two types of salary; base and signing bonus that can actually change from year to year?

Since the contracts are avg per year regardless the number of years being offered and with the current 3Down rule in place, does it really matter how many years you give the player?  This is my first real BDL season, and perhaps I've not taken into account everything but in looking over my roster I plan to make some cuts on some high priced players w/o any cap penalty.  Owners know this so as long as they can afford the player the current year, the future years of the contract doesn't really matter so much.  Having a base and signing bonus and using the NFL rules for releasing players would force owners to focus on the future money more, providing a more realistic cap.  Contracts would take into consideration the players age, too young or too old would play a factor into how much and for how long a contract is structured.  Using the irl nfl rules for releasing players, with signing bonus money being accelerated to the current year when releasing them would provide a much more realistic way of managing the cap, could even incorporate the top 51 rule during the off season.

We do not have agents to negotiate those type of variables, nor do I think anyone wants to get that far in depth

5 hours ago, ny92mike said:

@bcb1213

@Counselor

@DingoLadd

@Hockey5djh

@Jlash

@MD4L

@pheltzbahr

@PR

@Ragnarok

@RuskieTitan

@SirA1

@SwoleXmad

@TedLavie

@WFLukic

@Whicker

I agree the 3 down structure could be tightened up. IMO it's relatively easy to manage cap in this league. I don't think this is the way to do it, though. I like the simple one number is one number that always means the same thing. I also have very little knowledge on the actual workings of nfl contracts and salaries, but it kind of seems like NFL teams are easily able to manipulate their cap space as well. I've seen several instances where a player's salary was supposedly be cap crippling to a team, only to have them restructure a few contracts and everything is just fine for them cap wise. That's not different enough from someone 3 downing some useless player with a decent contract to warrant a change IMO. 

7 hours ago, ny92mike said:

why aren't we using two types of salary; base and signing bonus that can actually change from year to year?

I agree with Whicker and BCB, I like the simplicity with what we have now. We already have enough debate over what a 3up number is throughout the offseason, I don't think anyone wants to entertain those debates if you start doing guaranteed vs non guaranteed numbers.

9 hours ago, ny92mike said:

Math and simplicity. Also math.

I mean I get this, but that's a lot of effort to manage and plan out your cap in advance/year to year. (which you should do anyway but this would add a whole lot of hoops) 

Main reason I'd be against it is it'd be so much easier to dump scrubs/bad contracts if you could void a signing bonus. 

All valid reasons, I guess for me is that we are factoring the length of the contract already but it doesn't seem to do much.

NFL teams have gotten a lot better at managing the cap these days, we're seeing little overspending and more saving if anything.

I guess I was just hoping for the multi year deals to mean more than they do.  Even using something as simple as percentages for releasing a player under contract would be cool I think.

So for example if I signed a player to a contract for 10k, releasing him that year would cost me 10k, the second year would cost me 75% of his contract, 3rd year 50%, 4th 25% anymore than that nothing.

I've seen several trades that include multiple players to free up cap, which imo I'd consider gaming the system and the 3 3 downs just seem to cheapen the free agency.  Using simple math to calculate what it would cost to cut or trade a player like mentioned above would spin a little more realism imo. 

The thing us, as competitive as we get. This is simply for fun.  In the NFL gms get fired for bad contracts and the team is in the muck forever.   Here we like to retain as many gms as possible as it's hard to replace them so we have a system that penalizes for too many bad deals but let's you get out of a couple boo boos 

Archived