BDL Proposal & Feedback

ny92mike

1 minute ago, Whicker said:

I've said before I'm set in my way of doing things, and thus far, I'd argue that my ways suit me pretty well

I can't say I'm any different, I've been using excel workbooks to run mocks since 2002 or thereabouts mainly because it allowed keeping track of things that much easier.

I'm new to BDL obviously, but the fa process in here is basically the same as what ffmd was doing when they were around.  It was a nightmare to keep track of as an owner and littered with bidding errors.  The one year, we did use something similar to this the majority liked it over the bidding used in the forum. 

I don't know about you but trying to follow the day to day activity to make sure your bids were on top was a real drain and required way more attention than I was willing to put in.  

This workbook takes the hassle of keeping up with this or asking someone else to track each transaction for errors.  This basically is completely automated not just for the owner but the ones managing the spreadsheets.

It's a win win in my book.  

2 minutes ago, ny92mike said:

I can't say I'm any different, I've been using excel workbooks to run mocks since 2002 or thereabouts mainly because it allowed keeping track of things that much easier.

I'm new to BDL obviously, but the fa process in here is basically the same as what ffmd was doing when they were around.  It was a nightmare to keep track of as an owner and littered with bidding errors.  The one year, we did use something similar to this the majority liked it over the bidding used in the forum. 

I don't know about you but trying to follow the day to day activity to make sure your bids were on top was a real drain and required way more attention than I was willing to put in.  

This workbook takes the hassle of keeping up with this or asking someone else to track each transaction for errors.  This basically is completely automated not just for the owner but the ones managing the spreadsheets.

It's a win win in my book.  

Okay

3 hours ago, ny92mike said:

Thanks for the feedback.

Entering in a specific amount works but in order to do so we'd have to come up with some additional formulas to eliminate the bids that are offered less than the required next bidding amount.

For example if I bid 500, the current layout doesn't allow you to bid 501.  If we allowed the amount offered I think it would lead to more errors in staying true to the amount required and although I haven't ever made an offer in bdl yet, I don't really think that if the current bid is 500 and the next required amount to offer is 525 and 550 after that having the ability to make an offer between those two numbers shouldn't be a deal breaker to use this.  Even when it gets upward of 250.

25$ as a bid increment works for me, small enough to not drive people crazy and small enough to slowly bid people up.

3 hours ago, ny92mike said:

Would you guys rather have a 4 digit code to confirm the correct owner is making the offer or sign in, which collects the email but it would be stored on a hidden sheet?

Email's probably the smarter option but a 4 digit code would work just as well given I doubt anyone's gonna share it.

15 hours ago, ny92mike said:

Really hoping to get some feedback on this project from you guys.  

I love the Shark Tank Forms process. I think $25 min raise is fine. My one complaint (if it is a complaint) is that I don't like the Drop down/scroll option for finding players and think we need to break that out a little bit more.

Shoot from the hip thoughts to help: add position as a separate drop down to limit the amount of player choices, Have a free form field that recognizes characters (similar to the tagging feature on FF)

Another idea: I would like to see the active bids prioritized on the FA bid tracker sheet (preferably ones with the least about of time left on their bid). I just put a bid in on Patrick Morris and literally had to scroll down to line 385 to see the status of it.

40 minutes ago, Hockey5djh said:

I love the Shark Tank Forms process. I think $25 min raise is fine. My one complaint (if it is a complaint) is that I don't like the Drop down/scroll option for finding players and think we need to break that out a little bit more.

Shoot from the hip thoughts to help: add position as a separate drop down to limit the amount of player choices, Have a free form field that recognizes characters (similar to the tagging feature on FF)

Another idea: I would like to see the active bids prioritized on the FA bid tracker sheet (preferably ones with the least about of time left on their bid). I just put a bid in on Patrick Morris and literally had to scroll down to line 385 to see the status of it.

I'm personally not a fan of the amount of players that are listed in the form.  Just too many to sift through.

I'm not as understanding of the forms as I am with the workbooks, and even my knowledge of the workbooks is in using formulas, which is just the surface of excel.  The real excel power is within VBA coding which I know very little about.  That said, I'm not sure there is a way to generate a list based on the information of another cell within the form.  

Two options to reduce the list size would be to a) copy and paste the player name or player ID# into the form from the workbook.  b) reduce each form to its own positions.

As for the FA Tracker sheet, we can sort the players that have bids on them by the amount of time remaining but it would be done manually.  Not what you were hoping for but thats as good as I can get it.

36 minutes ago, Hockey5djh said:

Also I think for @PRs sanity we need to add a $501 option for FA bids. Its a distinct threshold bid to hit the minimum without having the ability to sub $500 cut and there's a large difference between $500 and $501.

Would something as simple as adding 501 to the bid options work?  I thought that the min bids where either 350 for rookie and 450 for vets.

23 hours ago, ny92mike said:
On ‎12‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 9:35 AM, Hockey5djh said:

I'm personally not a fan of the amount of players that are listed in the form.  Just too many to sift through.

I'm not as understanding of the forms as I am with the workbooks, and even my knowledge of the workbooks is in using formulas, which is just the surface of excel.  The real excel power is within VBA coding which I know very little about.  That said, I'm not sure there is a way to generate a list based on the information of another cell within the form.  

Two options to reduce the list size would be to a) copy and paste the player name or player ID# into the form from the workbook.  b) reduce each form to its own positions.

As for the FA Tracker sheet, we can sort the players that have bids on them by the amount of time remaining but it would be done manually.  Not what you were hoping for but thats as good as I can get it.

Can't you separate the positions with a  separate drop down? Aka have a drop down that has choices of QB, OT, OG, OC and that filters the player choices in a secondary drop down? YOu might have some crossover with OG/OC and OT/OG type players but is should solve for them.

For the time remaining can't that be the first sort criteria? It looks like you corrected it but the word manual scared me.

23 hours ago, ny92mike said:
On ‎12‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 9:38 AM, Hockey5djh said:

Also I think for @PRs sanity we need to add a $501 option for FA bids. Its a distinct threshold bid to hit the minimum without having the ability to sub $500 cut and there's a large difference between $500 and $501.

Would something as simple as adding 501 to the bid options work?  I thought that the min bids where either 350 for rookie and 450 for vets.

350 and 450 are the mins but 501 is a key bid used by a lot of people because it crosses the "I can just cut him if it doesn't work out" threshold. I think simply adding the 501 to the bids would account for that and $525 would be the min raise.

3 hours ago, Hockey5djh said:

Can't you separate the positions with a  separate drop down? Aka have a drop down that has choices of QB, OT, OG, OC and that filters the player choices in a secondary drop down? YOu might have some crossover with OG/OC and OT/OG type players but is should solve for them.

For the time remaining can't that be the first sort criteria? It looks like you corrected it but the word manual scared me.

The issue with that is the more data you pack into the form the higher the chance for it to freeze because of load time.  The other thing is having more than one drop down could create issues where we are bidding on more than one player 

Archived