Why can’t a defensive player win MVP?

sammymvpknight

• 4 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, sammymvpknight said:

Another week goes by and I still think Donald is MVP

I totally agree. I think if he breaks the sack record and the Rams finish with the best record, he has a itsy bitsy tiny chance. I have been watching football since 98 and I haven't personally watched a defensive player do what he is doing week in and week out. 

That being said the way Mahomes and Brees are playing, I don't think it happens. They're playing lights out and deserve the nod as well.

But Donald is the Rams MVP no doubt.

If the QB's lack some stats or have a few losses and Donald breaks Gastineau's/Houston's season record, then Donald might get enough votes. It won't be unanimous, but it will take something like 25S 10FF and maybe a TD or so.  The league is just about QB's for the MVP award. 

I'm torn on this issue. -- On the one hand, it would be nice to see the award rebranded to the "Player of the Year Award." -- But, on the other, I like the tradition / history behind the MVP & would like to see it remain in place. 

Unfortunately, Donald is operating in such a pass intensive era that the value of QBs is pretty much untouchable for any other position. So, he'd need to have an historic season while all QBs perform at an all-time low. Realistically, not gonna happen. 

It's not uncommon for top awards in team sports to have a positional bias, but the NFL would probably be the worst example of it. The MVP has essentially become a QB award that plays an important role in ranking QBs historically, & determining HOF status. 

The best solution may be scrapping both the OPOTY / DPOTY awards, & instead awarding dual MVPs with one player from Offense & one from Defense.    

Archived