How much has Bell befitted from Pittsburgh’s offensive talent?

patriotsheatyan

27 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Every RB benefits from their OL, but Bell has arguably the best vision and patience in the NFL. There is pretty much only one RB this year having success without a good OL, and that's Saquon.

I don't necessarily disagree, but IMO it helps to have an OL that's going to open up holes if you give them time to.  What I mean by that is, Bell looks amazing in Pittsburgh waiting for the holes to open up, and then hits the hole and breaks tackles better than anyone else in the NFL.  Now if he goes to a team where he waits for the hole to open up but the OL isn't good enough to consistently open those holes, will it then look like he's dancing in the backfield too much? 

I don't know if I can definitively answer that question one way or another...

I think that Le'Veon Bell is a very good RB in a great system with talent around him. I think that he's one of the better RBs in the game, but I wouldn't put him on the same tier as Hunt or Gurley...maybe even Zeke. Connor's success has really backfired on his goal of getting paid in 2019 IMO.

4 minutes ago, TheVillain112 said:

I don't necessarily disagree, but IMO it helps to have an OL that's going to open up holes if you give them time to.  What I mean by that is, Bell looks amazing in Pittsburgh waiting for the holes to open up, and then hits the hole and breaks tackles better than anyone else in the NFL.  Now if he goes to a team where he waits for the hole to open up but the OL isn't good enough to consistently open those holes, will it then look like he's dancing in the backfield too much? 

I don't know if I can definitively answer that question one way or another...

I would think that on any given running play, a hole is going to open up somewhere if you give it enough time. The best OL's in the NFL open up those holes immediately (because that's how the plays are drawn up), rather than waiting 3 seconds while the RB dances and waits to open up a hole for him.

I think Conner is showing that the holes were often there and  yards were to be had if Bell just ran the play as designed.

I think people underestimate Conner's physical skill. He's not shifty, but he has burst and runs like a freight train. When he catches the ball, he turns up field quickly and DB's can't handle him. Hell, most LB's can't.

32 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I would think that on any given running play, a hole is going to open up somewhere if you give it enough time. The best OL's in the NFL open up those holes immediately (because that's how the plays are drawn up), rather than waiting 3 seconds while the RB dances and waits to open up a hole for him.

Counterpoint:

1 hour ago, MWil23 said:

I think that Le'Veon Bell is a very good RB in a great system with talent around him. I think that he's one of the better RBs in the game, but I wouldn't put him on the same tier as Hunt or Gurley...maybe even Zeke. Connor's success has really backfired on his goal of getting paid in 2019 IMO.

Not in the slightest. He will still get paid, paid well by some organization thinking he's the missing piece. 

Just because Conner has plugged and played doesn't mean Bell isn't head and shoulders better, He is. All it's proven is that the current "Steelers system" is reminiscent to the old Broncos system that pushed out 1,000 yd RB like a conveyer belt.

Doesn't mean there wasn't a monumental difference in talent between say TD/Portis to say Gary/Anderson. There was!

Bells is easily going to make up for the $6-7M lost in salary. Conner's current success isn't changing that, one bit.

I think perception of Bell is skewed not only because of Conner’s success, but also last season was sort of a down year by his standards. He probably would have looked worse this year too after his usage last year.

I think most people expected Conner would put up big numbers as long as he started. Now that he has, Bell is no longer a top running back? 

3 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

Not in the slightest. He will still get paid, paid well by some organization thinking he's the missing piece. 

Just because Conner has plugged and played doesn't mean Bell isn't head and shoulders better, He is. All it's proven is that the current "Steelers system" is reminiscent to the old Broncos system that pushed out 1,000 yd RB like a conveyer belt.

Doesn't mean there wasn't a monumental difference in talent between say TD/Portis to say Gary/Anderson. There was!

Bells is easily going to make up for the $6-7M lost in salary. Conner's current success isn't changing that, one bit.

No way Bell makes the lost money back. I don't think he will come close the offer he turned down from the Steelers either. I don't think teams will line up to offer him a 78-79 million dollar contract with 40+ guaranteed for a 27 yo running back that doesn't even have his own teammates support. That's what it would take for him to get the contact that was allegedly offered and the money missed from sitting out. He averaged 4.0 yards per carry last year. Not great at all. 

33 minutes ago, KellChippy said:

I think perception of Bell is skewed not only because of Conner’s success, but also last season was sort of a down year by his standards. He probably would have looked worse this year too after his usage last year.

I think most people expected Conner would put up big numbers as long as he started. Now that he has, Bell is no longer a top running back? 

I actually don't remember many people giving Conner much of a chance let alone Conner nearly matching arguably Bell's best year (2014) in yardage and on pace for nearly double the touchdowns. If anything, people thought the Steelers wouldn't lose much as far as running production goes, but Conner has produced just as well as Bell did in the passing game.

1 hour ago, jaa1025 said:

No way Bell makes the lost money back. I don't think he will come close the offer he turned down from the Steelers either. I don't think teams will line up to offer him a 78-79 million dollar contract with 40+ guaranteed for a 27 yo running back that doesn't even have his own teammates support. That's what it would take for him to get the contact that was allegedly offered and the money missed from sitting out. He averaged 4.0 yards per carry last year. Not great at all. 

https://www-cbssports-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/leveon-bell-reportedly-turned-down-a-monstrous-70-million-deal-from-the-steelers/amp/?amp_js_v=a2&amp_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQECAFYAQ%3D%3D#referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=From %1%24s&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cbssports.com%2Fnfl%2Fnews%2Fleveon-bell-reportedly-turned-down-a-monstrous-70-million-deal-from-the-steelers%2F

He was never offered those numbers. All Bell has to do is guarantee himself more then the two years worth of Franchise Tags he turned down. Something I think post Gurley contract, easily occurs now. As it will for Zeke, Hunt, Kamara , and Saquon down the line as well. Just like the WR contracts that escalate from year to year Player to Player.

1 hour ago, skywlker32 said:

I actually don't remember many people giving Conner much of a chance let alone Conner nearly matching arguably Bell's best year (2014) in yardage and on pace for nearly double the touchdowns. If anything, people thought the Steelers wouldn't lose much as far as running production goes, but Conner has produced just as well as Bell did in the passing game.

I expected numbers a bit better than what 32 year old Deangelo had.  He’s clearly exceeded expectations especially in the passing game. That says Conner is good,  not Bell is bad.

15 minutes ago, KellChippy said:

I expected numbers a bit better than what 32 year old Deangelo had.  He’s clearly exceeded expectations especially in the passing game. That says Conner is good,  not Bell is bad.

No one is saying that Bell is bad necessarily, at least from what I have seen, but Bell may not be good enough to be worth a Gurley or David Johnson level contract if he is that easily replaced.

Archived