How much has Bell befitted from Pittsburgh’s offensive talent?

patriotsheatyan

He's benefited, but I wouldn't say any more or less than what Gurley benefits from playing with the Rams or Kamara benefits from playing with the Saints.  That is to say I'm not sure it matters much.  Bell is still one of the best RBs in the league.  Conner is simply proving to be really good as well.

I think he'll be fine wherever he goes unless its a dumpster fire.  Whether he's worth whatever contract he gets though, I don't know.

42 minutes ago, JustAnotherFan said:

last I checked, his offensive line doesn't have anything to do with his patience and decisiveness as a runner. Nor does it have to do with talent as a receiver. 

The latter part I agree with.

The former, I disagree. RBs with bad OLs don't have the luxury of being "patient," ie. standing behind their offensive lineman for seemingly forever until they find the right hole to explode through. Bell's patience is made possible by the OL not allowing tacklers through

9 minutes ago, childofpudding said:

The latter part I agree with.

The former, I disagree. RBs with bad OLs don't have the luxury of being "patient," ie. standing behind their offensive lineman for seemingly forever until they find the right hole to explode through. Bell's patience is made possible by the OL not allowing tacklers through

Yes, but most RB's don't have the same level of patience in the backfield as Bell does and alot of them don't give their blockers enough time to create a lane and then allow then to get to the second level ....instead they just try an shoot right through. I don't knock Bell for that at at all. That's just playing smart football.

Most RB's also don't have the wherewithal to choose the right hole or cutback lane on a consistent basis as he does either. Very rarely will see you find yourself going "damn he took the wrong hole....he should've taken X instead of Z". 

His ability to make guys miss and/or shed tackles are something else that he has the ability to do at a high rate.

These are some of the individual skills that have made him one of the best RB's in league every year, IMO, that are completely separate from the OL. 

I get the OL argument but that can be said for any offense. That's just the nature of the game....I know it's cliche to say, but the game starts up front. A QB, for example, is going to look terrible if he doesn't the time to throw the ball. But if he has a good OL are we going to credit the OL for the QB's individual skills? I know I wouldn't. 

Archived