Thoughts on DeFilippo so far?

SotanKing

14 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Bevell and Musgrave were never here at the same time. 

I am going crazy in my old age.  Still my point on Bevell is the same.   Anyone watching the Vikings then knew who called the plays and it wasn't Bevell.

I have never called for a coaches head mid season. But this is bad. We just held a QB to less than 90 yards. We lost. 2 weeks in a row with sub par play calling and efficiency on offense. 

Idk if you can give the calls to Stefanski and hope for Shurmur or give the play calling to someone else, but this is bad. 

This is considered as a shut out and was one helluva defensive performance, and we lost, it shouldn’t happen.

I doubt they fire JDF while they are still in playoff position. I have serious doubts that anyone can turn Cousins into a maybe above average QB but we know by now that JDF isn't going to do it. The Vikings are tied to Cousins for two more years so they might as well see if someone else can turn Cousins into a QB that consistently gives the team top half of the league performances

The offense has some serious flaws but the most serious is also probably the easiest to replace -- the offensive coordinator. Finding two starting guards before the draft will be quite a bit tougher of a task that the team needs to put their mind towards right as soon as this season is over. The first step is getting a new offensive coordinator and determining what kind of line he can make work with the parts that are available on the team and in free agency. Actually, the team shouldn't hire anyone until they explain how they are going to assemble an offensive line and get Cousins going.

I feel like the next offensive coordinator hire will be the last offensive coordinator Mike Zimmer will be working with as the head coach of the Vikings. They need to get it right.

3 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

I doubt they fire JDF while they are still in playoff position. I have serious doubts that anyone can turn Cousins into a maybe above average QB but we know by now that JDF isn't going to do it. The Vikings are tied to Cousins for two more years so they might as well see if someone else can turn Cousins into a QB that consistently gives the team top half of the league performances

The offense has some serious flaws but the most serious is also probably the easiest to replace -- the offensive coordinator. Finding two starting guards before the draft will be quite a bit tougher of a task that the team needs to put their mind towards right as soon as this season is over. The first step is getting a new offensive coordinator and determining what kind of line he can make work with the parts that are available on the team and in free agency. Actually, the team shouldn't hire anyone until they explain how they are going to assemble an offensive line and get Cousins going.

I feel like the next offensive coordinator hire will be the last offensive coordinator Mike Zimmer will be working with as the head coach of the Vikings. They need to get it right.

I don't like the logic that because we're in playoff contention we can't make a move to rid ourselves of a coach that clearly is not fit for the job.

Were only in contention because of Carolina and even when we stumble into the playoffs, how ugly will that game be?

As for being tied to Cousins, the QB search really should begin in 2020. Give him another year, build up the OL and start developing a cheaper alternative.

Just now, vikingsrule said:

I don't like the logic that because we're in playoff contention we can't make a move to rid ourselves of a coach that clearly is not fit for the job.

Yeah, I don't either. If I was running the team I would seriously be considering dumping him.

However, I am not running the team. My statement was about what I think the team will do not about what you or I would do. I still doubt they fire him. 

12 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

I doubt they fire JDF while they are still in playoff position.

I really think this depends on how the players are responding to him. There were a few sideline shots during the game where the players looked extremely frustrated. 

If the players aren’t responding to the coach, the coach needs to go as soon as possible. But you are probably right, they won’t do it in December. 

Regardless of how bad we’ve been, I can’t remember the last first year got name to be fired before their first season was over. 

Ag least that’s how I’d feel with any other HC. With Zimmer, he can be extremely cutthroat. I’m often surprised by how blunt he will be with calling out his own players. Even cutting them Carlson style. So to have a OC who he is, surely, extremely frustrated with? I’d Zim has the final say here, he could be gone soon.

The Seahawks were manhandling the interior of our offensive line to the point where Cousins was dropping his eyes to the pass rush. When Cousins was asked to move outside the pocket on designer bootlegs, he was successful at moving the ball downfield. As the game got further and further along, the team did fewer and fewer rollouts. To me, this was just another example (in a long list) of DFL failing to see what’s working in-game and adjusting his play calling. 

2 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

The Seahawks were manhandling the interior of our offensive line to the point where Cousins was dropping his eyes to the pass rush. When Cousins was asked to move outside the pocket on designer bootlegs, he was successful at moving the ball downfield. As the game got further and further along, the team did fewer and fewer rollouts. To me, this was just another example (in a long list) of DFL failing to see what’s working in-game and adjusting his play calling. 

The DFL has routinely failed alright.😀

Archived