Thoughts on DeFilippo so far?

SotanKing

1 hour ago, SemperFeist said:

I think there will be at least 4 head coaching openings this offseason, and potentially as many as 8. 

I think Green Bay, Cleveland, the Jets, and Tampa Bay are locks to be looking for a new head coach. While, depending on how they finish down the stretch, I could see Carolina, Baltimore, Denver, and Arizona all being open as well. 

If 4-6 spots open up, it’s hard to see DeFilippo not landing one of them, given the current trend in coaching hires. 

I think, unless they lose the next 4, Vance Joseph might get another year at least.  He's managed to win 3 in a row after a bad start with 2 of the wins coming against the Chargers and Steelers.  If he can manage to take care of business and win the next 3 against pretty bad teams, he'll be fine.  

I also believe that the Ravens will stick with Harbaugh again.  But, I do agree with Rivera probably being on the outs...they have new ownership and after a great start, have really faded.  I also wouldn't be surprised to see Marrone get the axe in Jacksonville, because he has completely mismanaged them this year and they are just completely dysfunctional.  I almost see it like a Chilly situation, where he gets fired a year after taking the team to the Conference Championship, just because it's a complete dumpster fire. 

1 hour ago, milanb said:

It's difficult to go to the run when your OL is not blocking your run plays very well and at the same time you need to score points.

But they were in the Patriots game....

Also, it really shouldn’t matter, the lead the Patriots had going into the second half wasn’t something that should have made a panic. Abandoning the run won’t keep the defense honest.

1 minute ago, gopherwrestler said:

I think it does too, but I still see whatever team he goes to becoming a dumpster fire if he calls the plays for the team too.

I don’t think McCarthy’s play calling was as bad as people think. It certainly wasn’t great, but when you have a QB who doesn’t want to play within the gameplan and who constantly turns plays into adlibs, it’s tough to gauge how bad the play calling was. 

Put McCarthy with a young QB, who’s going to follow the fameplan, and I think it would be a good combination. 

I think we’ll see McCarthy in Cleveland as the Browns next head coach. 

4 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

I think we’ll see McCarthy in Cleveland as the Browns next head coach. 

That's a given with Dorsey as the GM...and I wouldn't be surprised to see him bring in McAdoo as his defacto OC, since he's out of a job right now too.  

This is towards the second play. 

Why is this the play call in this situation? A fade route to Robinson on the far side of the field? Only way this ever works is if you have an excellent jump ball receiver. Rudolph also made the mistake here thinking he could sit in that Zone coverage.

Diggs is open after a double move, but you don’t throw that ball to the far side of the field.

Thielen gets open, but is the 3rd read, but by the time he gets to the read  the twist already is in Kirks face and probably gets batted down or he would have to make a crazy adjustment to just get the ball to him allowing the LB to be there. 

This is what im talking about, Shurmur was great at designing and scheming plays that attacked mid/short routes, that were designed. Not putting a ton on pressure on the offensive line. His first two reads are back and forth deeper routes before he’s getting to these short reads and if they aren’t open it is putting the pressure on the offensive line and makes Cousins ability useless. 

I just don’t understand why they continue to keep calling these long processing plays. 

56 minutes ago, milanb said:

The two are not mutually exclusive.

There is a big difference between honesty and candour.

Candor. You may speak the Queen's English, but we perfected it 😂

Aside from that, I have no problem with a coach calling out an assistant or played when they suck at their job. It isn't throwing them under the bus. D-Flip calls the plays. Zimmer had mentioned running more prior to this game. D-Flip actually ran less. I'd put him on blast too. Then I'd publicly question his parenting skills and tell the media the pottery he made in high school art class sucks too. Fix what's broke or face the consequences. 

Following the Rams game, Zimmer mentioned that he felt that the team went away from the run too early. The next week against Philadelphia there was more of an emphasis on running the ball, the team won. 

Following the Saints game, Zimmer again made a comment about the team’s lack of commitment to the run. The following week against the Lions, they ran the ball more, they won. 

It happened again coming out of the bye against Chicago, followed by a stronger run game against Green Bay, and a win. 

And now, for the 4th time this year, following the loss to the Patriots. The head coach has once again made comment about the committment to the run game. 

Yeah, the OC deserved to get publicity called out. 

50 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

May as well just fire JDF at that point. That would be a toxic situation but if the season is lost, why not?

Would it be that bad?  Head coaches take over play calling and vice versa all the time. If JDF isn't getting the message on how Zimmer wants the offense run, Zimmer could let him know that he's just going to try something else.

IDK it probably wouldn't work but that thing about JDF trying to set himself up to be a head coach got me thinking. I don't really bye that either though

Archived