Joe Flacco Hip Injury

DreamKid

10 hours ago, DreamKid said:

I've seen both.

Also...we've seen Lamar Jackson. He's got some juice, but also is the guy who missed that novice throw to Willie Snead a couple weeks ago and fumbled the exchange with Gus Edwards in last week's game. I swear people are going to hold this kid to unreal expectations and then roast him when he inevitably plays like a Rookie. 

I haven't seen anyone cheering his injury but it's probably true. People suck. Either way, I'm excited to see what we have in Lamar. Worst case scenario he sucks and we're still no worse than we have been the past 5 years. Best case we finally have a QB that generates some excitement here.

3 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

This was against the Bills starting D.

Against a prepared defense, this is a 8-10 yards loss. That will be the situation with Lamar, for every big play like this, there will be one for losses of yardage, which will make conversions that much more difficult. Lamars success will greatly depend on how few of those bad plays will come.

2 minutes ago, Danand said:

Against a prepared defense, this is a 8-10 yards loss. That will be the situation with Lamar, for every big play like this, there will be one for losses of yardage, which will make conversions that much more difficult. Lamars success will greatly depend on how few of those bad plays will come.

It's also going to be a big game for the receivers and tight ends. They'll have to constantly work open for Lamar. From there he'll have to be accurate with his throws on the move or it won't matter. 

A couple defenders subbed out at this point for the Panthers, but many starters stayed in and I love Jackson's patience on the play. Gus Edwards is in front of him for an easy completion but he waits and makes the throw to Hayden.

On 11/9/2018 at 6:55 PM, drd23 said:

Well this makes the decision to rest everyone instead of practicing this week all the more perplexing.  Those extra 1st team reps would have been useful for Lamar to build some chemistry with the veteran WRs that he probably hasn't been throwing to all that much

I fully disagree.

This is easily the most talented Ravens squad that I’ve seen us have in recent memory. Heck, I’d say it’s the most talented unit we’ve had since 2011 and 2012 when we got Cundiff’d and when we won the Superb Owl. We’ve also faced probably the most difficult schedule we’ve had since that point as well IMO.

This team has just as good a chance to make a playoff run as those units, if they make it in. But there is one thing holding them from that... mentality. They’re missing a PLAYER, not a coach, that goes to the others and collectively picks the unit up. After the way the Ravens lost in 2011, we shouldn’t have had the resilience to make it back to the playoffs let alone win the Super Bowl in 2012. But we did. Because of Ray Lewis.

My point saying all that? This is actually a good idea by Harbaugh to give the team the week off. Because they don’t have that player with a superhuman mentality, a cleaner... because this is simply a team full of closers and coolers... he has to coach them differently. If he continues to push this team mentally they will crumble. So he’s backing off and allowing this talented team to rest and realize just how talented they are when they work towards a common goal.

Extra reps and preparation means nothing if your head and your heart and your belief isn’t in them. Tucker’s missed extra point against the Saints was the biggest loss of momentum I’ve seen from this team since that 2011 squad got Cundiff’d. I felt it in the post-game interviews but tried to ignore it, until the Panther loss made it obvious. The only thing to fix a loss of mentality is time and leadership. Harbaugh has given them the time. Next week will be about the leadership.

Because if this team is able to fix their mentality, like I said, they have the talent to make a deep playoff run and get Harbaugh off the hot seat. So in my estimation, from a psychological perspective, this is the smartest move Harbaugh could make.

3 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

So in my estimation, from a psychological perspective, this is the smartest move Harbaugh could make.

For some players maybe, but I doubt it applies to Lamar - and he, specifically, was the one I said needs the 1st team reps

10 hours ago, drd23 said:

For some players maybe, but I doubt it applies to Lamar - and he, specifically, was the one I said needs the 1st team reps

The entire team has been soundly defeated in all phases in recent weeks. There is no one unit or player that one can point to and say, “this guy has just brought it every play” outside of perhaps Marshal Yanda.

There isn’t even an assurance that Flacco won’t play this game, it’s all based off of how he feels and recovers. So making everyone practice, most of which have shown (in the field) to be burnt out (mentally and physically) all so that one player can get some reps in the event that he MIGHT get the start is absurd.

I didn’t disagree with getting LJ8 more reps with the first team (which can still be accomplished next week), I disagreed with not allowing a team that is mentally broken time to recover and rediscover their “why/purpose” for playing all because of a possibility that a new guy might start and need a bit extra experience is nonsensical.

What’s more if Lamar is to start, what is your bases for doubting the benefits for him receiving rest? Rookie athletes have typically hit “rookie walls” in the past for such reasons. In college they play less games and have more breaks woven in between. Add in that those guys have been going hard since the college season, have trained for the combine, then trained for prodays, and then trained to pickup an alien offensive system... all with very few breaks in between. I’d say a week off for a rookie would be just what the doctor ordered as well. If they were all Madden AI, then sure practicing this week makes sense. But as people, taking time off makes sense all across the board. Including with Lamar. Heck, I’d say especially with him.

I didn’t disagree with getting LJ8 more reps with the first team (which can still be accomplished next week)

Either you're over-estimating his readiness and/or underestimating the number of 1st team snaps he would have been getting, or I'm doing the opposite here.  It's said time and time again that 2nd QBs don't get many snaps in practice during the season as there just isn't enough time (due to ever increasing restrictions due to the CBA) after getting in the necessary work to make sure the 1st team has that week's preferred plays/concepts down

What’s more if Lamar is to start, what is your bases for doubting the benefits for him receiving rest?

I'd be worried if that is the case.  Outside of week 1 he hasn't topped 14 snaps in any given week.  If he needs a rest now, how is he going to handle the 70+ snaps he'll take in a week, let alone the 500+ he'd handle for the rest of the year?

Archived