Random Ravens Thoughts: New Forum Edition

drd23

3 hours ago, coordinator0 said:

Yeah. That's pretty sickening. Guys, Harbaugh isn't going to get better at this. He doesn't want to. 

And there's nothing we can do about it. 5 straight years (about to be 6) of the same crap and people still believe Harbaugh is a top coach in the league. Unbelievable. Ed Reed and Ray Lewis gave this guy more job security than anyone else.

After next years HOF ceremony, I think we can anticipate another special ceremony for Ray, Jon and Ed. I predict that after Ed gets into the hall as our third consecutive 1st ballot candidate, we retire #s 52, 75, and 20. All three are the best All Time at their positions, with the exception of Ed's stupid one year all were lifelong Ravens and every other criteria for such an honor is met. It's just time. The Ravens are in a down point right now with their success and with the fans, but after a rebound year where we win the Super Bowl and an off season where Reed gets into the HOF, it'll be the perfect time to celebrate the franchise and it's legends in such a way.

19 hours ago, Darth Pees said:

You just read the Jamison Hensley article, didn't you?

I was coming on here to see what people thought about the potential of Graham in FA + WR in the 1st round. It could be great, but I just don't feel like Graham is the right fit for this team. Yeah, he's a red zone monster, but outside of the red zone for the past 3 years his production has been horrible. Couple that with his hands being unreliable and he's not good at making contested catches outside of the endzone, I'm just skeptical about it.

Though, I will say if that does indeed happen, I won't be mad. It'll show the FO is finally putting in effort to really surround Joe with some weapons that can be utilized. Although I also think if you get Graham, you have to design plays for him. I don't have much faith in Mornhinweg doing that.

It’s funny I was actually starting to get a similar feeling that maybe the “target” that Bisciotti was referring to was Graham. And I was actually googling him yesterday when I stumbled onto that article and I immediately laughed and said great minds.

My thinking on it, even with his hands being a slight problem, is that Graham is both a red zone threat (where we struggle to finish drives) and Graham also stretches the field with his athleticism to open things up underneath... kind of like how a deep threat opens things up. Linebackers will be forced to either respect the play action with more aggressive read steps or get torched. Which should also open up room for our rushing attack underneath.

Also, what made me think of Graham being the target is that he’s not a diva (thus fits Harbaugh), this draft class is rather weak at the position. Either you have guys who are fast but not really quick, have great hands but are slow, or some other combination of inadequacy, THAT and we literally tried to attack the TE problem last offseason to mixed results, so it’s likely that it’s a position that we covet.

Plus Graham probably will be looking to play for a contender (which we have the track record to show) and won’t be asking for as much as he has been making or as much as the receivers on the market, giving us a solid shot at him. He makes the most sense because then we can go into the draft simply looking to plug our hole at WR and for the most part can go BPA once we address that concern.

We take Graham and suddenly we could trade our compensatory pick (which might’ve been used on a TE anyway) to move up in the second or third rounds and ****** receiver talent (of enough of a run starts).

Graham will be far too expensive for what he'd offer the Ravens. Especially when you take into account how unreliable he was for Seattle outside the red zone.

As for Harbs offering Pees a new deal? Either Pees is lying to avoid the embarrassment of being canned by the Ravens, or Harbs is a lost cause. It seems to be the culture in Baltimore now to foist the blame onto players, and always keep the coaches clean. That's not a good way of getting anyone to want to play for you.

8 hours ago, Darth Pees said:

@diamondbull424 I should mention that Graham is not fast anymore. He doesn't have the athleticism or speed to stretch any defense. Also I'm not sure you can call this team a contender anymore, given we've missed the playoffs 2 straight years and 4 out of the last 5 years.

We missed it two years in a row with a 9-7 record. This all with no receiving talent. Any recruiter worth his salt can mention that and the two Super Bowls within the past 18 years and talk about how it’s just a matter of time.

Whats more Graham may not be 4.5 fast. And he’s 31. But he’s also not 37 and he’s definitely a lot faster than what we had with Benjamin Watson.

10 hours ago, coordinator0 said:

Hey guys. Jimmy Graham is also 31 years old. I'm not saying no to him, but my expectations would be tempered and I hope that the same would go for his price. That won't happen, but it's nice to dream. 

31 is a solid age. He’s a tight end. His age means he’ll bring a veteran savvy to a team that’s pretty young on offense. We need that type of player to win a Super Bowl.

EDIT: An offensive version of what we have with Eric Weddle. Someone that is hungry to win a super bowl.

Edited by diamondbull424

9 hours ago, Mancunian Raven said:

Graham will be far too expensive for what he'd offer the Ravens. Especially when you take into account how unreliable he was for Seattle outside the red zone.

As for Harbs offering Pees a new deal? Either Pees is lying to avoid the embarrassment of being canned by the Ravens, or Harbs is a lost cause. It seems to be the culture in Baltimore now to foist the blame onto players, and always keep the coaches clean. That's not a good way of getting anyone to want to play for you.

Flacco, when he does well, typically does a good job of getting the Ravens into the red zone. The problem is that we often settle for Justin Tucker kicks. I don’t care how reliable or unreliable Graham will be, if he can produce TDs in the red zone to cap off drives, than he will have paid for his value in full. From what it seems, he will cost somewhere around $7million. We wasted nearly that amount on Jeremy Maclin if I’m not mistaken. At least with Graham we get someone with hands similar to Mike Wallace, but is a serious redzone threat.

We can use the draft to stack up on small quick receivers that get us from point a to redzone. Graham would make life easier for the most difficult struggle of our offense dating back to even the super bowl season.

Just now, Jlash said:

What did you guys think of Tyus Bowser after year 1? I know he was drafted with the caveat from a lot of people that he'd be a project, but how did Ravens fans feel about him year 1 and going forward?

meh is pretty much all I have to say.

11 minutes ago, Jlash said:

What did you guys think of Tyus Bowser after year 1? I know he was drafted with the caveat from a lot of people that he'd be a project, but how did Ravens fans feel about him year 1 and going forward?

Severely underutilized. He made plays when given an opportunity to get on the field, but those opportunities were limited. Pees likes his bigger/stronger edge rushers and didn't know what to do with Bowser or Tim Williams. Hopefully Martindale actually embraces the current climate of the NFL, but I have my doubts after being "mentored" by Pees.

• Like 2