Random Ravens Thoughts: New Forum Edition

drd23

While it's certainly not at the level of that triple block Yanda pulled off a couple of years ago, knocking the linebacker off balance at the second level stopped him from potentially making a play only a couple of yards from the LOS and was therefore definitely a positive block

16 hours ago, Darth Pees said:

It's just not though...he doesn't do anything impressive! The DE takes himself out of the play and then 2 steps later he just puts a hand on a couple of guys who are already out of the play lol this ain't KO having eyes in the back of his head and diving to save Flacco from being sacked...I just don't see what's so spectacular about this play. Stanley's an impressive player, you should be able to find better blocks than this to showcase how good he is.

Those guys aren't out of the play. The linebacker closest to Allen would be able to either make the tackle or trip him up thus preventing a further 5-7 yard gain.

We do agree though, that they could have found better evidence of Stanley being a good runblocker.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DreamKid said:

This reminded me of characters in children's movies who jump up and down and deny magic's existence.

I thought by now we'd have higher standards for what constitutes as great plays, but I guess over the past few years we've significantly lowered those standards.

2 minutes ago, Darth Pees said:

I thought by now we'd have higher standards for what constitutes as great plays, but I guess over the past few years we've significantly lowered those standards.

Remember, you're arguing the play isn't impressive at all and I'm not arguing the play is spectacular. You're arguing against a POV you've constructed. You spent too much time on this, it was just an example of a good play from Stanley I had handy. This is why posting clip plays of non skill position players never ends well, someone always has a pointless/stupid take that leads to nowhere. 

I wonder if the organization wants to change Patrick Ricard's twitter handle. It's possible one person could be offended.

On a serious note, signs are good for Hayden Hurst. Which is not unexpected. His hands are elite tier and going against the likes of Peanut in OTAs should afford many a highlight worthy plays.

On a human level it's unfortunate what happened to Hunter Henry, and we certainly are all too familiar with key players being on the receiving end of devastating injuries. From a football perspective though it's great for us. Our week 16 game against the Chargers just got a whole lot easier. We don't need our biggest defensive deficiency(TE coverage), being tested that late in the season in what could be a crucial game.

With how strong our corners are going to be next year, it's logical to assume teams are going to game plan around their Tight Ends even more. It exploits our weakness and avoids our strength.

Our Losses Last Season      x(catches)-y(yards)-z(touchdowns)                                                                                                                        Rushing Yards Given Up

Week 3: 7 to 44 Jaguars- Mercedes Lewis 4-62-3, James O'Shaughnessy 1-12-0.  Totals Given Up to Tight Ends: 5-74-3.     /           (169)      * Brandon Williams INJ     

Week 4: 9 to 26 steelers- jesse james 3-40-0. Totals Given Up to Tight Ends: 3-40-0.                                                                      /           (174)      * Brandon Williams INJ

Week 6: 24 to 27 Bears- Dion Sims 2-42-1, Zach Miller 2-25-1. Totals Given Up to Tight Ends: 4-67-2.                                       /            (231)      * Brandon Williams INJ

Week 7: 16 to 24 Vikings- Kyle Rudolph 5-43-0. Totals Given Up to Tight Ends: 5-43-0.                                                                   /           (169)   

Week 9: 20 to 23 Titans- Delanie Walker 5-71-0. Totals Given Up to Tight Ends: 5-71-0.                                                                  /           (71)

Week 14: 38-39 steelers- jesse james 10-97-0, vance mcdonald 4-52-0. Totals Given Up to Tight Ends: 14-149-0.                   /          (59)

Week 17: 27-31 Bengals- Tyler Kroft 6-53-2, C.J. Uzomah 1-7-0. Totals Given Up to Tight Ends: 7-60-2.                                     /          (148)

^^^^ It all paints an ugly ugly picture.

Some quick notes on the above- 1. We passed on Derwin James, an insta cure to our TE coverage woes. 2. The major contributors to both weaknesses Mosley-Jefferson-Weddle, are all returning this season to once again form the "Baltimore Triangle" a large zone within our defense where all hard nosed play disappears without a trace. 

Looking ahead, we'll be seeing many of the same faces at the TE position and even more challenging figures this time around.

Notables

Charles Clay- A versatile and explosive player that flies under the radar.

David Njouku- Year 2. A promising and ascending player that could make an easy win a little less so.

Ben Watson- Our castoff and a still reliable player. It will be interesting to see him against us, with Brees holding the gun.

Greg Olsen- A great veteran playmaker and chain mover.

Travis Kelce- The 2 to Gronkowski's 1, and our biggest coming challenge in the regular season.

OJ Howard and Cameron Brate- Another talented 2nd year coming into his own and another starter caliber player whose production and ability is nothing to scoff at.

Hunter Henry- A proven young player who should cement himself as a Top 5 TE in the league this season, especially with Gates gone.

^^^^Every single one of their teams has a capable rushing attack as well. *Jake Butt returning from injury for the Broncos could also prove noteworthy.

The Ravens better want all smoke this season cause it's coming and I can't wait. 

Edited by DreamKid

On 5/22/2018 at 7:39 PM, DreamKid said:

I wonder if the organization wants to change Patrick Ricard's twitter handle. It's possible one person could be offended.

On a serious note, signs are good for Hayden Hurst. Which is not unexpected. His hands are elite tier and going against the likes of Peanut in OTAs should afford many a highlight worthy plays.

Maybe he could change it to Pen15 or something to avoid any issues.

On 5/22/2018 at 7:39 PM, DreamKid said:

While I didn't really want him in the first, particularly at #16, you're right, this is completely expected.  I thought he showed some of the best hands during the receiver drills at the combine.  Snaps his hands up incredibly smoothly to meet the ball; accepts the ball with perfect form in the diamond, doesn't alter his body at all in response to receiving the ball.